11 replies to this topic

#1 caboheidi

caboheidi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

Does anyone know if wheatgrass is safe for the gluten free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Not for me. I only tried it once, I had heard it was safe, but the results were not so good. Wouldn't ever touch it again.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 jrc121

jrc121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:13 AM

I've been taking it daily in a vitamin supplement called Daily Complete. Doesn't seem to bother me. When I called the manufacturer I was told it should be fine.

#4 passionfruit877

passionfruit877

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

I've been taking it daily in a vitamin supplement called Daily Complete. Doesn't seem to bother me. When I called the manufacturer I was told it should be fine.

I wondered about that. I saw this fruit juice that had wheat grass labeled, but was marked gluten free.

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

I've never tried it, and I'm not brave enough to try.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 Rob Sutton

Rob Sutton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

I know that I am extreme Celiac and wheat grass makes me sick similar to bread. If you need greens use spinach, kales, watercress, etc. Also avoid other grain greens!

#7 sickntired

sickntired

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I was told by liquid vitamin shop that the vitamin I was taking (Vitacerin) was not gluten free because it had WHEATGRASS in it. They gave me an alternative vitamin (daytrillen) that is gluten free.
Patti

Sick and tired of being sick and tired....

#8 kdonov2

kdonov2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

I tried an organic green juice drink from Whole Foods that was labeled "gluten free" but also contained wheat and barley grass. I thought it was safe, so I drank a small sample of it. About an hour later I had stomach cramps, bloating and essentially vomited out of my back side. I posted about it here a bit ago and was told by others that wheat grass does not contain gluten, but the sprouted wheat berries do. Yet, there is no way to extract the plant without contaminating the whole thing with gluten. I don't know how they are able to label these products gluten free.

#9 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

I ran across this question too. Nutsonline sells wheatgrass powder in the certified gluten free section. I wrote them that is wouldn't be gluten free. They still offer it there. I would never risk trying it. Wheat grass gives birth to gluten grains...I wouldn't want it in my body. I think there is a school of thought that says if the grass only is consumed then no gluten is consumed because gluten can only be found in the mature grain. But who on earth would want to consume the mother of all evils?
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#10 twe0708

twe0708

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I just had a shot last night at a smoothie shop and didn't have any problems and I am pretty sensitive. If I eat one cookie I start throwing up.

#11 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

I just read an article on this. Wheatgrass is gluten free BUT, the farmer growing the wheatgrass has to cut it just before it starts to seed. Mistakes can be made, unexperienced workers, carelessness. It's scares me. I was taking a multiple vitamin, I was still getting gluten somewhere, I checked the vitamin, it has wheat grass. I'm having less migraines since stopping it.

I think I will stay away from it. :)

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

And even if they harvest it before it sprouts, the equipment they harvest with is contaminated from harvesting the other stuff, so it is being "glutenized".

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: