8 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

I've been getting pretty bad bilateral leg pain/weakness off and on for a long time. It seems to be worse in the morning, and is sometimes accompanied by tingling in my feet or hands. Is this something that is Celiac related? I've had my thyroid levels checked as many family members have Hashimotos , but i'm fine. I also had normal calcium, magnesium and b12 levels.......I do have a slight D deficiency.
Does anyone else get this? I've been gluten free for a couple months......will this go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

yes, I think it is related. Mine started after going gluten free, and lasted for about 6 months. I would get sharp shooting pains across my shins, and had tingling in my feet and ankles. Thank goodness, it stopped for me.
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 lizzers

lizzers

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

I've been getting pretty bad bilateral leg pain/weakness off and on for a long time. It seems to be worse in the morning, and is sometimes accompanied by tingling in my feet or hands. Is this something that is Celiac related? I've had my thyroid levels checked as many family members have Hashimotos , but i'm fine. I also had normal calcium, magnesium and b12 levels.......I do have a slight D deficiency.
Does anyone else get this? I've been gluten free for a couple months......will this go away?

I have this as well - i think it comes from a combination of too many carbohydrates (sugar/ etc) and a lower b12 even though your b12 came back "normal" you still may need more and/or an injection every once in a while. I've been told by my doc that I *don't need* b12, but when I stop for more than 6 weeks, I have more inflammation etc. The theory is when I'm gluten free for two years or so, I shouldn't need it by injection any more.. but until then I still get it.

The tingling can be diabetic neuropathy, b12 related, magnesium, zinc and/or related to high blood pressure, high levels of plaque/ cholesterol, inflammation generally or heavy metal deposits. So it could be a few things - if you go gluten free for 6 months and aren't noticing a difference, I'd get another opinion... but maybe in the meantime just focus on eating meat/veg/fruit diet and keep all the refined carbs until you know you are feeling better?

#4 Amyleigh0007

Amyleigh0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

I get leg pain when I eat gluten. It's more like restless leg symdrome. They ache (especially at night) and I feel like I must move them in order to feel better. I was glutenated last week and my legs have been bothering me for the past few nights.
Amy

1989: I am diagnosed with IBS.
3/08: 8-year-old son diagnosed with Celiac (blood test and biopsy) and allergies to corn, egg whites, soy, peanuts, walnuts, wheat, and clam.
6/08: My Celiac test is negative.
7/08: I go completely gluten free despite negative test and NO MORE IBS SYMPTOMS!!
7/09: My Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene testing results indicate I have one Celiac gene and one gluten sensitivity gene.
8/09: I am diagnosed with Celiac based on gene testing results and positive response to diet.

#5 nyctexangal

nyctexangal

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:57 PM

I get leg/hand pain/numbness if I don't take all my vitamins/minerals/calcium/and EFA's. I'm newly diagnosed Celaic, gluten-free for 7 weeks, and pain the in my hands/feet is getting less and less as I move forward and take the supplements. For me it has all been Celiac related. Hope you get to feeling better so soon!
Daignosed Celiac -Feb 2010
Gluten Free
Dairy Free
Legume Free
Egg Free
Oil Free
Soy Free

#6 newgfcali

newgfcali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

I had bilateral peripheral neuropathy before going gluten free. (That's in fact why I went gluten free, hoping to make it better.) Neuropathy can be very painful, and can cause tingling in feet and hands as well. Ataxia can cause weakness in limbs. If you google "gluten neuropathy" and "gluten ataxia" you'll come up with some links on new research being done by Dr. Hadjivassiliou. He's researching the connection between gluten and nerve/brain disorders.

Maybe what you're experiencing is nerve damage caused by years of eating gluten. Nerves are very slow to heal, so perhaps in a few more months they'll start to get better.

#7 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I was having significant problems with episodes of muscle weakness, although I've always taken a multi-vitamin, along with extra calcium and vit. D. The weakness was fairly constant, but I would have episodes where i would suddenly be almost unable to stand or if I was carrying something that wasn't necessarily that heavy I would have to put it down. Through a bit of online research I learned that potassium supplements can help with muscle weakness. Potassium levels in my blood were at normal early on after being diagnosed with celiac, but I've since learned that this doesn't mean the muscles necessarily have their needed supply of potassium in those with our condition. So, on a hunch, I decided to try the extra potassium. By day 4 of taking them, the episodes of weakness had improved by 50%, and now, about day 7, the episodes are much fewer and are about 75% less in intensity. The supplements I take are only 50 mg, plus I eat a banana every day (along with lots of other fruits and veggies), and I am now thinking of taking 2 supplements a day to see if taking more will completely reverse this annoying weakness.
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#8 ellie_lynn

ellie_lynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

I was having leg pain and occasional weakness before I got diagnosed -- some of it was bone pain (ache) and some was more neurological. My vitamin D was low/low-normal, and my rheumatologist put me on mega-doses of D. The bone pain started to go away, even before I knew about the celiac and went gluten-free. The gluten-free diet has resolved the weakness and neurological symptoms.
celiac blood tests: December 2009
celiac diagnosis: January 2010

symptoms (beginning July/Aug 2009): bone pain, thinning skin, neurological problems (paresthesias, dysesthesias, ataxia, brain fog, loss of dexterity, etc.), fatigue, heat/exercise intolerance, mood changes, joint pain, positive RF and ANA, pressure around eyes, trouble falling asleep, thyroid symptoms and autoantibodies

gluten-free since January 2010; RF and ANA now negative; still having some skin problems (not DH)

#9 Cora

Cora

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I was just diagnosed with celiac via biopsy about a week ago. I haven't seen the nutritionist (scheduled for late Nov) and am trying to be gluten-free while waiting. Since dx, I have also started to have leg pain and severe knee pain, bad enough to side-track any exercise. Any recommendations for tests on vitamin levels the Drs should be running? I have already scheduled an appt with a Rheumotologist due to issues resembling Sjorgrens?

Cora, 51 and just learning about this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: