Guest_celiac777_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

GREAT NEWS!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/stem_cells
http://sciencenow.sc...full/2005/519/1
http://www.npr.org/t...storyId=4659796

http://english.chosu...0505200018.html
you can also read the related articles at above article.

I am a south korean celiac disease.
At Seoul, Dr. Hwang Wook Seok said that he can cure the Lougehrig disease first.
I saw the television which showed what their team did....
AMAZING! Permanent Cure for diabetes also possible! YEAH also CELIAC!!

I don't expect any pill can cure our celiac disease permanetly.
Even temporary cure will take more than ten years.

But NOW we have hope!!

He said he will foucs on immune system related disease first.
YEAH, celiac is immune related disease.
He said immune related diseases are the most easy for him to cure among all the diseases.

He and his research team achieved the progress which everyone expected at least a decade. LOOK he did in a year!!!

Probably in 10 years OR sooner, OH GOD I can be cured permanetly!!
At least I have hope now.

My english is not that good and so I can't explain exactly how he can cure immune-related diseases, but he said something like replacing cells.

Because celiac disease is very uncommon disease in South Korea, Dr.Hwang didn't include celiac disease in his work list yet.

Please URGE him to include celiac disease in his work list!!

hwangws@snu.ac.kr

Send email to above email address(Dr.Hwang) and ask to include Celiac Disease in his work list. Lougehrig disease is first, and probably diabets second, and celiac disease should be third!!

If you want to be cured in 10 years, send emails to him!!
REQUEST and ASK. I'd like to be cured!!
Don't be skeptical! Lougehrig patients here expect cure in a few years!!
WHY NOT CELIAC? Unfortunately celiac disease is very uncommon and so he may not feel need of curing celiac disease. WE have to ask and request!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

Hello there, welcome to this message board.

I don't know, what to think about this news. But now I know at least, that asians can get celiac disease, too. Because I had an asian friend before, who's daughter had problems with wheat. But she told me, that her doctor said to her, that asians can't get celiac disease. Wow!
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#3 Guest_celiac777_*

Guest_celiac777_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

hello :)

It makes me frustrated that there are few celiac disease here.
And thus I can't get any help from doctors and can't get any info from celiac disease patients.

celiac disease has destroyed my life but I have strong belief that I can be cured someday in my life.

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:37 AM

Anyone can get celiac disease. Though it's generally thought to be primarily in Europeans, the highest rate of celiac is actually in certain areas of Africa. Asians are not immune from it.

There will eventually be something for celiacs, but no time soon. Dr. Green is the undisputed celiac expert and has been researching for many years on a $500,000 annual budget...there are currently many different ways they're trying to find that could help celiacs cope with celiac disease. They're hoping to find ways to better prevent celiac disease or make that "miracle pill" that negates the effect of gluten on the body.

Don't expect anything too soon; Dr. Green predicts maybe 10 years before a pill to deal with accidental ingestion of gluten, so a cure would be a LONG time in coming about.

He said he will foucs on immune system related disease first.
YEAH, celiac is immune related disease.
He said immune related diseases are the most easy for him to cure among all the diseases.

Hmm...autoimmune diseases easy....then why are there multiple major celiac centers in the United States, the largest of which with Columbia University that have been unsuccessful? celiac disease will not be cured in one year...

Perhaps a cynical approach to all this, but I've gotten excited before in vain.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

the links are particularly pointing to the success of new methods for developing viable stem cells lines much more easily than in the past. stem cell treatment is generally aimed at making modifications to a disease state at the genetic level, so auto-immune conditions are going to be chemically among the easiest to address in this fashion, because of the limited range of proteins that need to be addressed. other conditions are not as well constrained, chemically, as autoimmune ones. that's the only reason for that sort of statement.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

There's an elephant in the room here. We are talking about stem cell research.
That means there will be a great deal of controversy if this is the way a "cure" comes about. I personally am hopeful that some of the other research provides an equally useful result without the moral issues involved with stem cells.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#7 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

I guess that depends upon how you define "cure". If a shot of stem cells means that I now get to eat Twinkies then no thanks, I don't want to be cured. For me a gluten free diet has "cured" me. I went from 250lbs to 170lbs when I went gluten-free. I can now exercise, finish school and hundreds of other things I could only dream about before.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#8 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:20 AM

I personally am a little uncomfortable with people "playing God." I think it's asking for disaster. :blink:

#9 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

Donna, there are reportedly ethically produced stem cells.

However -

1.The immune system is about (a major component of) how human beings interact with and experience the world. I don't want my experience changed. Diversity of experience was given us for a reason.

2.I hope this is not being/going to be used as an excuse not to maintain economic and ecological diversity.

#10 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

Yes, I just read an article this week on adult stem cell research and how successful it has been. No issues there.

This board is one place where we must all agree to disagree at times about most anything other than the basic celiac disease issues. No way are we all going to have the same thoughts about everything. At least we are able to openly "talk" about it all. There are places in this world where such legitimate discussions would be taboo.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free

#11 trying4faith

trying4faith

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:27 AM

For those who equate stem cell with aborted fetuses - PLEASE READ ON. That is not what stem cell research or medicine is about.

Stem cells are derived from many sources, including cord cell blood after a baby is born. These are precious cells that can change the lives of thousands on this planet - right now.

Consider the argument of playing God. If a person decides it is okay to treat some diseases and not others, that person is indeed playing God. Every time someone has a heart attack and is resuscitated, are we playing God? Does that mean we let someone die who may just need a pacemaker? Every time a peanut allergic child is exposed and is given an epi pen, are we playing God by saving that child's life? Every time someone is stung by a bee and given treatment, are we playing God?

If you are hit by a car tomorrow, and paralyzed from the waist down, but they can use stem cells to regenerate the damaged nerves, would you say no? What if you were paralyzed from the neck down?

It's easy to play God when it's not you or your children who could be cured of a life-threatening illness, or paralysis, or in my son’s case SMA.

This issue is very near, and dear to my heart.

I highly recommend those of you who say no to stem cell medicine then look the other way - to consider the options as they apply directly to you, your children, and your loved ones. If you have no one you love who is affected, and you really believe you are “right” please – go to the nearest children’s hospital and visit the neurological, genetics, or even the burn ward. You may find you have compassion in you that you did not know was there before and just maybe, you will set aside your pride, open your heart, and support what is right.

Please don’t reply unless you have actually made that trip. Short of that, you truly cannot know what you are talking about.

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:20 AM

I too have to wonder exactly how do we decide what is and isn't "playing god." Many currently accepted procedures would have been seen as playing god just 50 years ago. How does any individual know whether stem cell research is playing god or yet another tool god has given us to improve our lives?

richard

#13 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

celiac disease, Parkinsons, a couple of others...this extended family has them all. If it came down to cure with embryonic stem cells or remain ill, we have discussed it and made the choice to remain ill. Any other options available including other forms of stem cell research are open for us. This is a personal moral choice and does not imply than anyone else must make the same one.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free

#14 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

This is a really big issue for me. My boyfriend was in a car accident 14 years ago and was paralyzed from the chest down. He also has limited use of his hands. Before his accident, he was a serious athlete - competing in mogul skiing, biked 25 miles/day, basketball, swimming, etc. He went from being one of the most active people out there to someone who has no choice but to sit in a wheelchair all day. The ramifications of his paralysis continue to amaze me. We have been together for about 13 months now - but every day I see something new that he has to find a way to deal with.

For *me* - beyond the hope for celiac disease - stem cell research holds amazing promise. I was in a motorcycle accident about 14 years ago (nope, I didn't know my boyfriend until just a year ago!) and it was really bad. I was in a coma for a week, had vast gashes & road rash all over my body, broke a rib, broke a collarbone, broke my nose in 5 places, broke the bone underneath my eye, had my sinuses explode (I didn't even know that could happen!), the upper right side of my lip was torn off, my three front teeth were broken, my lungs collapsed, broken thumb, fractured wrist, fractured ankle, all the skin was torn off my right knee and my left knee and shin, and probably some other things that I'll think of after I post this reply ;) Five plastic surgeries and many years later, I am feeling much better ;) But - I experienced a "traumatic brain injury" and that still haunts me. Because of the brain injury - I see double when I look down, have really funky depth perception, and have been significantly umm... "slowed down" when it comes to intellectual tasks. Last year I had a "neuropsych evaluation" where they run lots of intelligence tests (8 hours worth!) and then determine the extent of your disability. My processing speed is now at the 18th percentile (meaning, 82% of people can process information faster than I can) :( Other notable problems include my "verbal episodic memory" (how well I can remember stories) - after being told a story once, what I remembered (retained information) was at the 5.5 percentile. My learning rate is at the 12.9 percentile. My visual memory skills (after a "long" delay - a few hours, actually) score was at the 2.3 percentile. (I'll let you do the calculations in your head of how much of the population can think faster than I can - I don't want to think about it :( ) There are other things I could tell you but it would make for a long post ;) But - clinically speaking, I am "impaired."

This really sucks because I used to be extremely intelligent! I am lucky because my IQ is high enough (118) that I've been able to not appear disabled. But I am, and I hate remembering what I was capable of and comparing it to now. It takes me sooooo much longer to learn & store information with this injured brain of mine and I would absolutely love to have the intellectual capacity that I used to have. There is no medication that can help me. There is no surgery that can help me. If I am ever to regain what I've lost - it will be through stem cell research.

My boyfriend and I went to a lecture at the University of Utah (by Orrin Hatch) and he has a very "ethical" plan for obtaining stem cells. If you have any questions about stem cells, the University of Utah has a great little site: http://gslc.genetics...nits/stemcells/ - Please check it out.

We are obviously huge proponents of stem cell research and would love to have other people see that there is so much promise for giving full lives to people who suffer tremendously every day - like those with paralysis, or burn victims, or people with chronic pain (from a multitude of illnesses). The people who argue that it is "playing God" and disregarding the value of life in embryonic cells ... maybe they should consider the value of life for people who are already living.

- Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#15 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

Oh wow... :o With all that you've been going through, you have a terrific attitude and sense of humor...keep it up ;) :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: