This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Beer--i'll Let You Know How It Goes!

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

FINALLY ! The gluten-free beer from Bard's has finally made its way to my local Wild Oats store. I bought some yesterday and plan on trying some tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it tastes!! Go Sorghum!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I have no clue what they taste like (for good reason :lol: ) but my dad tried Bard's when we went to Risotteria just to compare...and said it tasted exactly like regular beer. Of course, he hardly ever drinks, so I don't know if he's the best judge of it, but who knows.... The consensus on other boards is that of the two gluten-free beers: the Ramapo Valley one and Bard's, Bard's is definitely the best.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Please do let us know! I can't get it anywhere in the state, but there are 2 stores I want to talk to about carrying it. I'm a woman who loves her beer.

jenvan Collaborator

celiac3270-well, don't worry, you're not missing out on too much! I don't drink too often myself, gluten-free or not it bothers me a bit.

frenchie--I'll know in about 4 hours :) I actually haven't been a huge beer drinker myself, more of a scotch, gin and tonic girl, but always like the smirnoff tripled filtered malt bevs too. my fav drink was (i haven't cked if its gluten-free not yet), bailey's and butterscotch schnaps. Ah-so good! I did really like Sam Adam's though--that's good beer. I married a beer snob too :lol:

frenchiemama Collaborator
I married a beer snob too :lol:

And I married someone who won't touch anything but Miller Lite! I'm the beer snob in this house. What I wouldn't do for a Spotted Cow. :(

ianm Apprentice

I could really go for a Newcastle Brown Ale right now :P . A Guiness Stout would be just as good. MMM Beer (Homer Simpson gurgling noises) I never had a reaction from beer but have decided that it would be best to give it up. Learning to appreciate wine more.

Miller Light? You could just pee in a bottle and you would never know the difference. Drink a REAL beer will ya! :lol:

jenvan Collaborator

Ha ha ! My husband was telling me last night he has never actually drank a miller lite before !

Anyone like(d) Guiness? The real stuff... I actually got to go their factory and museum in Ireland and drink one fresh from the barrel. That stuff is like a meal!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
TriticusToxicum Explorer
FINALLY ! The gluten-free beer from Bard's has finally made its way to my local Wild Oats store. I bought some yesterday and plan on trying some tonight. I'll let ya'll know how it tastes!! Go Sorghum!

...well how was it? :)

I am on a mission to track down some gluten-free beer. Ramapo Valley Brewery is only about 3 hrs away, but they don't carry it locally. I'll have to drive 1.5 hrs in some direction to get some. Would Bard's be worth a similar drive? (I know it's Miller Light...or at least I hope it's not!)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

I just met the new beer maker from Bard's, at the Celiac conference at Stanford last weekend. Tasted it - bought a six-pack - it is quite good and tastes like real beer! (um, there is LOTS and LOTS of beer in my past, not Miller light - blah - and I think I should know :ph34r: ). I was so excited! Drank one at my friend's and I felt like a normal person.....the rest I am saving for other "normal" occasions! :rolleyes: Anywho said beer maker told us that the beer is now closer in alcohol content (it's been raised about 1.5 percent) to normal beer.

BTW he told me they sell Bard's at Beverages and More!

Jen - knock yourself out! (well...not TOO much....) ;)

jenvan Collaborator
I just met the new beer maker from Bard's, at the Celiac conference at Stanford last weekend. Tasted it - bought a six-pack - it is quite good and tastes like real beer! (um, there is LOTS and LOTS of beer in my past, not Miller light - blah - and I think I should know :ph34r: ). I was so excited! Drank one at my friend's and I felt like a normal person.....the rest I am saving for other "normal" occasions! :rolleyes: Anywho said beer maker told us that the beer is now closer in alcohol content (it's been raised about 1.5 percent) to normal beer.

BTW he told me they sell Bard's at Beverages and More!

Jen - knock yourself out! (well...not TOO much....) ;)

Susan-

This thread was from such a long time ago I saw the title, then my name and was like "What?! When did I post that?" :lol: Yeah, I had the Bard's--and so fun you met! You should like a beer snob ;) Had the Grist too...but am not a beer aficionado...so can leave the comparisons up to you! (I was a scotch girl...yum). :D

Do your dingos ever take a sip? :D

Turtle Enthusiast

I've tried New Grist and Bard's Tale...I smuggle it in from our neighboring state...Shhhh don't report me! :ph34r: HA! I think that they are both good but for some reason I like the New Grist better....

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OMG Jen....it's ancient history and I didn't even look at the date!! :lol: You must have been so confused....

The dingos.....they worked with me at a winery for almost four years (Well, Tika did - Annie's arrival led to their being fired :angry: um, TWO big greeter dogs was a bit much)....Tika jerks her head away from the smell of alcohol - Annie - she would be a drunkard if I let her, I am quite sure she would drink her fill as she always tries to lick the glass.....

but they are both gluten-free now so I'll have to make sure it's Bard's! :rolleyes:

TriticusToxicum Explorer

Scoreboard

Bard's - 1

New Grist - 1

Ramapo Valley - 0

Ok, who's next? Cast your vote! Let you voice be heard!

par18 Apprentice
I've tried New Grist and Bard's Tale...I smuggle it in from our neighboring state...Shhhh don't report me! :ph34r: HA! I think that they are both good but for some reason I like the New Grist better....

I had to do the same with New Grist. Have a few left. Really does not taste bad. I called AB last week about their unannounced product (Redbridge). They said they would get back to me. When they called and left me a phone mail it was as I expected (they have no comment at this time). I expect maybe we will see something in the near future. The label I saw said wheat free but I am guessing it is going to be gluten free.

Tom

jenvan Collaborator
OMG Jen....it's ancient history and I didn't even look at the date!! :lol: You must have been so confused....

The dingos.....they worked with me at a winery for almost four years (Well, Tika did - Annie's arrival led to their being fired :angry: um, TWO big greeter dogs was a bit much)....Tika jerks her head away from the smell of alcohol - Annie - she would be a drunkard if I let her, I am quite sure she would drink her fill as she always tries to lick the glass.....

but they are both gluten-free now so I'll have to make sure it's Bard's! :rolleyes:

Aw, good thing you're watching Annie :) My Maggie would be a binge eater if we let her. She has an eating disorder for sure--constantly whining for more food and yet she still has her little belly hangin low :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Aw, good thing you're watching Annie :) My Maggie would be a binge eater if we let her. She has an eating disorder for sure--constantly whining for more food and yet she still has her little belly hangin low :)

OMG are they sisters??? This is all she does....stare and stare at food I'm eating or making....whine at night for more.....gets in recycling or trash if I've accidentally left anything.....reaches up with her little raccoon hands if I"ve left a night-time snack :ph34r: on my nightstand.....absolute eating disorder....I am NEVER goign to let her have alcohol - I am quite sure she would go on a bender! :lol: She is on a diet, has elevated lipoproteins and I am trying to get weight off MIss Fatty Fat!!

Will have to try New Grist.....so far my vote is for Bard's as I haven't had NG or the other one (and from your vote Richard I guess I won't try!)

teebs in WV Apprentice

I, too, would have to drive about 2 hours to buy any gluten-free beer. But, one of my brothers lives in Maryland and he brought some of each brand home this weekend. I have to drive to my mom's house to pick it up (about a 45 min drive).

I was a beer drinker of discriminating taste - Bud Light :lol: It is one of the easiest beers to find in the US - you know that no matter what bar you go to, they are bound to have Bud Light! I actually like the taste too.

I cannot wait to try the gluten-free beer - I will update as soon as I do. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick it up until this weekend.

Sterndogg Apprentice

Last week I was able to try the New Grist - a buddy brought a sixer when he came to visit from DC - I really liked it as it tasted very similiar to a lager beer yet very hoppy - almost like an IPA. Yesterday I bought a sixer of Bard's in Boston. Also very good but heavier in taste - with a nut-brown finish. I've had the Ramapo Valley and didn't really like it as it tasted like mead - too much honey but heard they've tweaked the formula. I've also had Bi-Aglut brewed by Heineken Italia while visiting fam in Italy and that one also reminds me of the New Grist. They use buckwheat instead of sorhgum. As far as I know the New Grist is not yet available here in MA but thus far I find it (New Grist) the most refreshing although I do like Bard's too.

Guhlia Rising Star

I've only ever tried the Bard's Tale and the New Grist. Hands down I prefer Bard's Tale. It's very full in flavor. The New Grist just seemed slightly lighter to me, it also got me drunk much more quickly which I wasn't too keen on. Anyone know the alcohol content of these? I couldnt' find anything about the New Grist when I was poking around.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I also tried Bards at the Celiac Conference at Stanford. I would never be able to tell the difference between Bards and a gluten filled beer.

I'm not a fan of beer, by any means - but it did taste "authentic" to me!! =)

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Scoreboard

Bard's - 1

New Grist - 1

Ramapo Valley - 0

Ok, who's next? Cast your vote! Let you voice be heard!

Bard's - 4

New Grist - 3

Ramapo Valley - 0

Bi-Aglut - 1

Ok, I'm seeing a trend emerge here...

Anybody else?

jenvan Collaborator

Angie-

Yeah, I think your take on Grist being lighter is a good way to put it.

I'm still loving my Strongbow cider ;)

Susan-

Maybe they are sisters :) Vet said she needed to lose 20% of her body weight. She was pretty fat when we got her from the shelter. Is much thinner now, but needs "kitty lipo" we say as she has this little belly skin hanging down. She really is cute though, I'm making her sound gross :lol:

mouse Enthusiast

I have not been able to try the Bard's Tale. But, I have tried New Grist several times and really liked it. I also believe that the owner of New Grist told me that the alcohol content is 5.7%. But, I could have gotten the figure wrong as I am saying that from memory. I do remember at the time comparing the alcohol content with other beers and the New Grist was slightly higher. And I do not like the Rampano at all.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Bard's - 4

New Grist - 3

Ramapo Valley - 0

Bi-Aglut - 1

Ok, I'm seeing a trend emerge here...

Anybody else?

Bard's - 4

New Grist - 4

Ramapo Valley - (1)

Bi-Aglut - 1

Guhlia Rising Star

My husband much prefers the Bard's Tale as well. He's does not have Celiac, but he drinks Bard's Tale by choice. He thinks it's just a good, hearty beer.

Archived