6 replies to this topic

#1 farmwife67

farmwife67

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'm looking for a good gluten-free cheesy potato recipe my old recipe is as follows (if you know how to adapt it I would love it)

1 bag hash browns
2 cups shredded cheddar
16 oz sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup (this is where the gluten comes in)

That is all of the ingredients but I don't know how to change the soup into something gluten free.

Thanks for any help!
Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'm looking for a good gluten-free cheesy potato recipe my old recipe is as follows (if you know how to adapt it I would love it)

1 bag hash browns
2 cups shredded cheddar
16 oz sour cream

That is all of the ingredients but I don't know how to change the soup into something gluten free.

Thanks for any help!

Check out Health Valley cream of chicken soup. The last I knew it was gluten free, but I have not bought it in awhile. It tastes so much better than the old standby condensed soups. It is not condensed so you may have to adjust your liquids or use less or use something as a thickner ie cornstarch, arrowroot, potato starch, or a gluten free flour blend with xanthan gum mixed in. Here is the link. I have used the cream of mushroom, celery and chicken. Just click on the soup and it will list the ingredients. I found mine at Earth Fare.
http://www.healthval...soupschilis.php

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#3 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

1 bag hash browns
2 cups shredded cheddar
16 oz sour cream

Thanks for any help!

I just made this for Easter! I also top it with crushed gluten-free corn flakes and butter, adds a nice contrast. I use this recipe

http://www.gluten.ne...?cmd=6&recid=66

to replace all my condensed cream of something soups. I love it! Not as easy as opening a can but it is gluten-free:)

Hope this helps,
Hez

#4 farmwife67

farmwife67

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

I just made this for Easter! I also top it with crushed gluten-free corn flakes and butter, adds a nice contrast. I use this recipe

to replace all my condensed cream of something soups. I love it! Not as easy as opening a can but it is gluten-free:)

Hope this helps,
Hez

Thanks so much I'm sure this is what I was looking for! I am making a casserole today that calls for cream of chicken I will try it! Thanks again!!!
Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

#5 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

http://www.gluten.net/recipes/index.php?cmd=6&recid=66

Hope this helps,
Hez

When I read the first post on this thread, I was going to respond with my "recipe" for "Cream of..." soups, but this is better! I usually use organic chicken and beef broth, that's g.f. and comes in a box....Pacific foods? But I didn't think to use any butter in it, that's a good idea.

Now for cream of mushroom soup, I use the boxed Creamy Portobello soup by Imagine, and thicken it with cornstarch. I don't often use cream of celery, but that's going to be a tricky one.....guess I could buy vegetable broth, boil a bunch of celery in it, run it through my food processor, and then thicken it. :P

#6 katerzz

katerzz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

When I cleaned out my pantry I was on a mission to replace campbells soups... this is the recipe I found. I am real big on NOT having to use extra "flours" or special brands if we can avoid it. You cant store it, but it doesnt take long to make.

1 cup cold milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

Instructions

1. In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.
2. Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
3. Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.

Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:
Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.
Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP:
Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.
Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CELERY SOUP
Stir in 1/2 cup sautéed chopped celery to the recipe above.
Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Celery Soup.

#7 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Peel and cut 4-5 lbs of potatoes into slivers about 1/2 in thick. Boil until tender. Combine 1 can evaporated milk, 2 pounds of velveeta cheese(cut into 1 inch by 1 inch cubes) and 1 stick of margarine . Melt slowly in microwave (2 minutes at a time and stir in between). When cheese sauce is melted, pour over potatoes layered in casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes or until top starts to turn dark brown (indicates cheese is starting to burn) at 350 degrees uncovered.

Enjoy!

Wenmin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: