8 replies to this topic

#1 fakename

fakename

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

It is true that ensure is completely free of gluten?

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

It is true that ensure is completely free of gluten?

thanks

Yes, the Ensure is gluten free, but I know when I was first diagnosed & healing it always made me feel bloated, so I switched to Boost. The Boost didn't seem to bother me at all so I started drinking two a day. It Really helped me -I was so skinny. I really needed the weight. Now I just drink the high protein Boost every other day since I don't need anymore weight on me. :D

I hope this helps! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#3 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Ensure is definitely gluten free, but it always makes me sick to my stomach afterward and makes my intestines quite unhappy later. I think it's because there is so much sugar and milk protein...not really sure. It's not gluten, but something in it has always set me off...maybe it'll work for you!! :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#4 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

I started drinking Boost because it said it was gluten and lactose free. Everytime I drank it, I would get sick. I called the company and was told there was casein in it. Soooo... it is lactose free but not dairy free. Too bad, because I liked the flavor and it was convenient.
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#5 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

Okay, so Ensure has always made me sick, so I tried Boost last week. No problems!! I don't know what the difference is, the ingredients look the same, but I'm not sick from drinking Boost. :) Hooray!
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#6 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

In the first couple of weeks after I was diagnosed, I tried a small bottle of Ensure every 3rd day or so to put on on some much-needed weight. I bought a 6-pack of them, and though the package said gluten-free, I drank a total of 3 bottles, and ended up with severe migraines 3 times (the onset of the migraines ranged from 30 min to 1.5 hours post-ingestion). Needless to say, I didn't drink the rest of the 6-pack. . . .I don't know what I reacted to. I've been too "chicken" to try other pre-made drinks like this, and now, 2 months later, I have managed to gain back the weight the old fashioned way!
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#7 Ladylene

Ladylene

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:35 AM

I am in New Zealand and Ensure here contains maltodextrin which in Australia and NZ is mostly 'wheat-based'. I started to try and gain some weight and after symptoms started again I checked the tin. It was also in the chocolate I eat and I probably pushed myself over the limit. Oops. I see that Horleys have a product in New Zealand that is gluten free. Yay

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Ensure always made me want to be sick as well, but I learned two things.

1. Drink it slooowly, in small sips.

2. And/Or the High Protein Ensure doesn't make me nauseous at all

Hope that helps!

#9 kcorcoran2013

kcorcoran2013

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

I have been gluten-free for about 6 weeks now.  I do not have celiac but am very intolerant and have been since my early 20s.  Back then, when I first started throwing up everyday, I got down to 90lbs.  My mornings went like this.  I would eat cereal for breakfast and then start coughing and would cough so much that I would throw up.  Eventually I learned my body well enough that I knew when to stop eating before I would get to that point.  All of that to say, I started drinking ensure everyday.  I never had any problems with it and it kept me from waisting away to nothing!  At that point in my life I had no clue what gluten was, so did not know that it was gluten-free, but it was sure a life saver for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: