This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anonymous Testing Because Of Insurance

flapeedap

flapeedap Newbie

Does anyone know of a place that will test you for Celiac Disease anonymously? I am in the Milwaukee/ Chicago area. I have individual health insurance and am concerned that my rates will go up if I am "confirmed" with the disease. Since the outcome is really good if you are diagnosed and stay gluten free for the rest of you life, I don't think this is fair. I went gluten free about 2 years ago out of choice, and felt much better, then because I was not officially diagnosed, I have slowly made exceptions occasionally. I am having similiar but not perfectly typical symptoms and would just like to know for sure since it is so hard to but heads with in-laws who ignorantly think avoiding their food is an insult. Please help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link would probably be good because while I don't know if it's anonymous, it is not accepted as formal diagnosis by doctors, nor is it accepted by insurance. However, most celiacs who have used Enterolab are satisfied with the results.

On not being diagnosed in the first place: it's good that they not know it for what they charge you, but it's bad because how can a visit to a celiac dr. be covered if you supposedly don't have celiac disease in the first place? And if you ever needed medical treatment due to "celiac" they might not pay it since you supposedly don't have this in the first place. Your decision, though, just showing you the positives and negatives. ;)

ianm Apprentice

I'm not so sure having a formal diagnosis will help with the in-laws. Even today some of the people who knew me when I was at my glutened worse still don't get it.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes...many won't accept that you have it even with the test results. The only thing is, if you got a diagnosis (even anonymous) you would have an even more "valid" reason from their perspective...also give them so literature, maybe...print off some articles about symptoms, diagnosis, how many it affects, etc.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Would insurance go up? Does anybody know? I thought that my insurance was just a flat rate that everybody at my husband's work pays. It goes up every year, but I didn't think this was because of anything you had been diagnosed with. I know at my work when they went over insurance plans they could tell us how much we would pay and it only changed depending on what plan you went with. They didn't say anything about diseases you may have. Now, however, if you go to a different insurance company I wonder if they may call something a "pre-existing condition" and not cover it.

flapeedap Newbie

ENTEROLAB-

I did find Enterolab, and I will probably try that. I am trying to get my sister and mom to test at the same time for hereditary reasons AND My mom is chronically ill, thyroid problems (had removed due to Graves), allergies, horrible fatigue and her mother had osteoporosis, plus she just feels crummy ALL THE TIME. My sister has bowel problems chronically.

IN-LAWS

With the IN-LAW thing, I know some will understand and some will not. My mother-in-law puts out peanuts on the coffee table even though my nephew at age 3 could DIE if he consumed even 1. Some people live life saying "Don't confuse me with the facts. My mind is made up!" I don't care how mad they get at me, I would just feel better if I didn't have to be vague.

INSURANCE

I have an individual insurance policy and I know you can get "rated" for any condition or disease. With group insurance through an employer, you are right, you will not necessarily see a rise unless many employees start making huge claims and coincidentally all get sick or in accidents. The group would be considered a

celiac3270 Collaborator

Good points. Definitely get your mom and sister tested-- 1/22 first degree relatives have it and they show symptoms, so it would be good to test for it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

If you are already under a group plan through an employer you would not see a rate change or have it labeled a pre-existing condition. If you switch insurance plans some may consider celiac a pre-existing condition and some may not. Private insurers would probably look for any chance they get to gouge you. My employer was bought out by a much larger company and already they have begun to weed out some people who have chronic health problems. If you are in that situation testing might be a bad idea.

jknnej Collaborator

Ok, I'm concerned about insurance. If you get private insurance and they consider celiac disease a pre existing condition, what about if you have to go to the emergency room because of say, chest pain or severe stomach distress? Does that mean they won't cover the visit?

I'm not formally diagnosed so I wonder if they can count this anyway? But I have been to the doctor a lot lately which I'm sure will be a red flag for something!

ianm Apprentice

Hard to say on that one. The doctor would have to say that it was specifically related to celiac disease. Chances are they won't because we all know how much doctors know about celiac disease.

Guest barbara3675

Just got approved for a lower price category in my healthy insurance and to qualify you have to answer all kinds of health questions. I was honest and told them that I have a gluten intolerance and fibromyalgia and I got approved for the new policy. They ask for permission to go into your records at the doctor's office too. I am 60 years old and was very happy to be accepted into this new insurance as I was so worried about what premiums I was going to have to pay once I turned 60 and got into the 60-65 group. Hope the new prices hold now.

Barbaa

jknnej Collaborator

Good for you! What company did you use? I may be searching for private insurance myself soon.

Did you do this b/c you retired or work in your own business? Just curious as to the circumstances.

ianm Apprentice

I looked at my health insurance application and the only things they were really concerned with were cancer, AIDS, heart disease and diabetes. I would shop around for insurance because what is unacceptable to one may be okay with another.

Archived