46 replies to this topic

#1 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone else get chest pain? I have it right around my left breast...it's a stabbing pain that can linger for days.
My doctors have said it's not heart related b/c I don't have any numbness, tingling, back pain, shortness of breath, etc and it has been going on for quite a few years. They think it's muscle related so I wanted to see if anyone else has these issues. I also get stabbing pains under my ribs....anyone else? those can be so sharp they take my breath away. Then these mystery pains will go away and not come back for a month, two months, or even more!
What gives???
I want to know if it's Celiac related or not.
I waterskiied this weekend so maybe I aggravated a muscle problem; you use all of your chest muscles when waterskiing.
any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated,
Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rmmadden

rmmadden

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

Jennifer,

I get the chest ache on the left pectoral leading down into my armpit. Most of the times it is just an ache but occassionally I will get a momentarily sharp pain. I went to the doctor and wore a heart monitor and everything is normal. I take my BP daily (which is good) and exercise regularly and have never been short-of-breath (This is how I double-check myself each day). I guess it's just something some of us have to live with.

Hope this helps.
Cleveland Bob B)
"Dreams Are What The Future Is Made Of"

Endoscopy & Blood Work Positive.....
gluten-free Since December 2004.....
Soy Intolerant August 2007......

#3 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

I get this. I have been getting it my whole life - I can remember being about 8 and having an "attack" of it and freaking myself and my parents out because I thought I was having a heart attack.

Mine don't last for days, just usually a few minutes, though the last one (which was within the last month) lasted for a couple of hours. I kept trying to breathe differently and relax, took a Xanax at some point, no help. Weirdly, when I took my nightly B12 sublingual (and B complex sublingual) within moments (maybe a minute or two?) it faded away.

I have always envisioned it as some air bubble in my chest. This last time it was on the left side but I don't think it's always on the left. It does take my breath away - it's hard to breathe because when you do it hurts worse.

I have not gotten any answers on this - I even posted about this on another message board I'm on when it happened earlier this month.

I can identify with you but I don't know what it is... sorry!

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:19 PM

I get this too, several times went to the ER thinking it was heart related... they've done the whole heart monitor thing, I have a blood pressure monitor (it's good)... None of my dr's had any answer as to what it is or why, but I def. get this.

#5 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:19 PM

I used to get extremely sharp pains right under my rib cage. the pain was excruciating. After going gluten-free they stopped. I have had it come back once in the past year and that was when i accidentally ingested gluten. So, I believe that mine was definitely gluten related.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#6 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

For those of you that have the chest (rib) pain for several days, weeks, or months, it could be Costocontritis. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago and for the most part I've been able to keep it reasonably under control until I handle a big, pulling dog during training, then I'm back on the anti inflammatories again. Also, over stretching of the upper body will irritate the problem.
Costocontritis is another auto immune problem. It is inflamation of the cartiledge connecting the rib cage to the breast bone. Sometimes it is also caused by a sports injury. My doctor says that Celiacs would be more prone to have Costo.
Check with your doctor and ask about it :rolleyes:

#7 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

Oh, wow! I will DEFINITELY look into this.
I keep freaking myself out, thinking I am having a heart attack. But I don't have any other symptoms of a heart issue and I am only 28 with low cholesterol and low blood pressure.
Costocontritis? I'm going to look it up on the net.
I also am a choral conductor-I lift my arms for a living! (And sing).
I haven't had it in awhile but I think maybe the waterskiing aggravated it. You really get yanked up by the boat and it uses all of your chest muscles. Weird, though, that is started hurting 4 days after the boating.
I hope that's what it is.

#8 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:45 PM

Yup .. sounds like a good possibility. Mine started when I grabbed a tree limb to stop myself from falling down a cliff. :unsure: Now just over stretching will make it annoying. :rolleyes:

#9 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:50 PM

Mine can be left or right, thought it is most commonly left. Ribcage pain can be left or right, as well. Very sharp pain.
We'll see what the doc says.

#10 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

Those chest pains were why I went to the dr. in the first place. I thought I was having a heart attach and my md referred me to a gastrologist dr. It would last about any hour or so then it would go away but then I would have a hard time swollowing any food. I felt like someone had hit me on the chest and I couldn't speak it hurt so bad. My pain was in the center of my chest. The gastro dr. said they called this the nut cracker muscle. He said this was a result from so much reflux and acids from gluten. He prescribed nitri tabs for under my tongue for if it ever happened again. Since after that I was tested for celiac and went on the gluten-free diet it went away. Those were horrible and scary too.

#11 Bette

Bette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:02 PM

Eloisa,

Ditto, after years of suffering with that symptom, I too, found out by my g.i. doctor it was part of the reflux. Nexium has helped, but occasionally it still happens, my doctor never told me about the nitri tabs. I will have to look into it. Just curious , is this like the nitro patch medication that is used for chest pain in cardiac pts., and is it g.f.?

#12 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

Well it sounds like this is a different kind of experience than I've had - but also makes me think of something else that I've had a problem with as well. A year and a half ago I was in France for Christmas and eating more bread than I had in ages. Most of the way through the trip I suddenly had this mother-of-god bad pain in my left rib cage, on my side, below my breast. It was painful to the touch and spasmy as well. Breathing was uncomfortable. Made me think of when I got a cracked rib about 10 years earlier. Ever since this has been a problem of recurring pain for me.

I even went to a chiropractor and massage therapist and neither have helped. I have noticed recently that when I am glutened, it starts to hurt a day or two later and that lasts for a few days. I'm beginning to see it as an indicator of glutening.

Interesting about Costocontritis - I'll look it up.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#13 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

My pain isn't in the center it's usually on the left side with occassional right side pain. I also get it right under my rib cage where it hurts so bad I can't breathe every once in a while.
For me it does NOT happen related to gluten, though, which is why it sounds like this costochoritis or however you spell it! I read up on it on the net and it said it comes and goes and it is an autoimmune disorder but doesn't have to be gastro related, i think.

#14 Bette

Bette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Yeah prior to me being diagonosed with the reflux disease, my doctor did think I might of had the costochondritis, I was actually sent to a anestesiologist to get injections with antiflammatories with lidocaine right into the ribcage (the cartilage part). It did not help, but I was thankful to have somebody try to get rid of the pain. The reflux was diagnosed a couple of years later.

I guess every one persons symptoms can present very differently. But it sure helps to hear what other people have dealt with on this board, and how they dealt with it. At least now you have some ideals what it may be, so that you can look it up and then discuss it with your doctor.

Good luck

#15 Guest_Eloisa_*

Guest_Eloisa_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:55 AM

Bette,

I'm sorry it took me so long to answer your question about the Nitroquick pills. Yes they are the ones they give you when your having chest pains from a possible heart attach. GI doc told me that the muscle around the esophugus tightens and they call it a nutcraker muscle and for me to put one under my tongue when this happened. It really freaked me out with these pills cause I knew what they were used for and it scared me to use them.

Eloisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: