24 replies to this topic

#16 buffettbride

buffettbride

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Peter is right. Nathan's took the wheat out of their hot dogs months ago.

richard

Nice. It musta been an old batch. I think it was right around Halloween when I found some decent gluten-free hot dog buns and remember checking out Nathans and seeing wheat. We went to Aruba shortly after that and for some reason Nathans is the popular hot dog down there and those dogs all had wheat, too. (As a side note, Aruba is one of the best places on the whole planet to eat gluten free, other than the Nathans discovery. There's even a joint where you can get gluten-free dutch pancakes. YUM!).

It's nice to know, though, since I can buy outrageous amounts of Nathans at Costco.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

I just finished a package of Nathans! Yummy.

richard

#18 pufffee

pufffee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:00 AM

Also, in the U.S. if ANY food contains milk, including pepperoni sticks, it has to be clearly listed. Just read the ingredients.

Most pepperoni contains stater culture which is milk product and does not state contains milke product.

#19 pufffee

pufffee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

I'm sorry, but this is just untrue in the U.S. Virtually no processed meat has gluten. Oscar Meyer, Hillshire Farm, Boar's Head, Kroger, Buddig. All either safe or will clearly list gluten. I can't name a hot dog or a salami or pepperoni that has gluten.

If you know otherwise, please provide a list of the processed meats that absolutely have gluten.

richard

Richard, I am not trying to argue with you. Gluten and Milk products are in most procssed deli meats. Especially milk. Dietz and Watson is only meat in my Shaws or Hannafords that actually states GLUTEN Free(sure their are many more). If all meats were gluten free or dairy free why does one mfg make claim this and no one else seems to. Also I looked at about ten packages of Nathans Polish Kelbasa(sp) and all contained wheat as did two other MFG's. Milk is huge part of processed meat I had no idea gluten had any business in MEat lol but it does. My mother has had this disease for 30 years and went through all these issues as well. I am sure things have changed with some mfg's but saying it is untrue is only misleading people on this site. I suggest we look at as questions as you mentioned but just beware it is in SOME meats

#20 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

Richard, I am not trying to argue with you. Gluten and Milk products are in most procssed deli meats. Especially milk. Dietz and Watson is only meat in my Shaws or Hannafords that actually states GLUTEN Free(sure their are many more). If all meats were gluten free or dairy free why does one mfg make claim this and no one else seems to. Also I looked at about ten packages of Nathans Polish Kelbasa(sp) and all contained wheat as did two other MFG's. Milk is huge part of processed meat I had no idea gluten had any business in MEat lol but it does. My mother has had this disease for 30 years and went through all these issues as well. I am sure things have changed with some mfg's but saying it is untrue is only misleading people on this site. I suggest we look at as questions as you mentioned but just beware it is in SOME meats

Reading this, I'm a bit confused. I agree we need to read the ingredients because some mfgs put in ingredients others don't. Are you saying milk has gluten? It doesn't. Maybe milk is your other issue besides gluten?

Also, I know years ago, when I was a kid, some hot dogs & processed meats did have fillers like wheat. My cousin 30 years ago had a wheat allergy.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:13 AM

While it may be interesting to speculate on how things were decades ago, we live in the present. Under the FALCPA legislation, in effect for over four years now, both milk and wheat must be clearly disclosed on the label.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

I don't mean to argue either, but times are VERY different from years ago. I am misleading no one. Virtually all processed meats are gluten-free. Call the company to verify.

Boar's Head clearly states that ALL of its products are gluten-free, including all meats. Buddig clearly states that ALL of its lunch meats are gluten-free. Hillshire Farm has said in the past that all of its lunch meats are gluten-free, although I haven't quizzed them lately. It has one sausage that has beer. Kraft CLEARLY lists gluten of any kind, so with Oscar Meyer, all you do is read the ingredients. Kroger has said in the past that all of its lunch meats are gluten-free. No one on this list knows of any hot dog in the U.S. that contains gluten.

As for the pepperoni and milk, I see that Hormel lists lactic acid starter culture among it ingredients, but I also see that it doesn't qualify as milk for allergen purposes in that product, probably because it's started from something other than milk.

richard

#23 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

While it may be interesting to speculate on how things were decades ago, we live in the present. Under the FALCPA legislation, in effect for over four years now, both milk and wheat must be clearly disclosed on the label.

wheat must be listed, but not gluten.

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

wheat must be listed, but not gluten.

If you know of a meat product that contains hidden rye or barley, please tell us the name of the product, and the source of your information. The collective members here have never identified one. There are some sausages with beer, but in every case that I am aware of it is clearly labeled.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 joeysmommy

joeysmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

I actually called the Kraft food company and asked about Gluten in their luch meat and they said there was none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: