10 replies to this topic

#1 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Just in case some of you are fond of Progresso Soups, recent changes have made some unsafe for celiacs.
When they took out the MSG some formulas/recipes changed and some that WERE on the OK list are no longer safe (such as my former favorite: Chicken with Wild Rice).

Here is a link to the updated General Mills site that lists gluten free items:
http://liveglutenfre...ts/default.aspx

You can print out a PDF "pocket list" for shopping.
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

I had seen this list not too long ago, and I was totally excited by the creamy mushroom! I'm planning on trying it to see if I can use it in casseroles like I used to make with campbell's. Also the chicken cheese enchilada soup is SO good!! I want to try baking chicken with that poured on top. My 10yo son LOVES the lentil, and the clam chower also. I'm so glad that progresso has some things available!!
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#3 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

Chicken with Wild Rice is also my favorite and must-have to keep on hand at all times. I hadn't seen this list but I just bought several cans this week. All of them had the new "No MSG" white banner across the top of the label - and nothing is in the list of ingredients that would make be think it contained gluten. The label also clearly states "Contains SOY" in their allergen list.

I bought the regular chicken and rice soup and it, too, had the new label but didn't list anything suspect.

I really hope these were simply omitted from the list. There aren't too many commercial canned soups we can eat.
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#4 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thank you for the information and the link. Good information!
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#5 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the warning!
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#6 LDJofDenver

LDJofDenver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

Chicken with Wild Rice is also my favorite and must-have to keep on hand at all times. I hadn't seen this list but I just bought several cans this week. All of them had the new "No MSG" white banner across the top of the label - and nothing is in the list of ingredients that would make be think it contained gluten. The label also clearly states "Contains SOY" in their allergen list.

I bought the regular chicken and rice soup and it, too, had the new label but didn't list anything suspect.

I really hope these were simply omitted from the list. There aren't too many commercial canned soups we can eat.

I know, I still always scanned the label, even if I thought it was on the OK list. Even though I didn't see anything bad, they have removed Chicken with Wild Rice from their new gluten free list. I stopped buying it. If they took it off the list I felt there must be a reason and I no longer trust it. (PS love your cat!)
Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)
Positive blood panel
Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy
Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s
Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

#7 joelmw

joelmw

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

I called today and confirmed that the reason Chicken and Wild Rice was removed is because it may have been processed in a facility where it was subject to gluten contamination. Frustrating--and unfortunately lends credence to my paranoia about labeling--but at least there is some consistency (the list, their web site, the absence of explicit "gluten free" label).

#8 dbart

dbart

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I am not so sure Progresso soups labeled gluten free. I had cream of mushroom soup yesterday, that was labeled gluten free and I am still sick today. I won't trust it again.

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

I am not so sure Progresso soups labeled gluten free. I had cream of mushroom soup yesterday, that was labeled gluten free and I am still sick today. I won't trust it again.

If you are new to the diet, everything and anything could bother you. Your intestines are a mess and they are trying to heal. It's also possible that something else in the soup or that you ate bothered you.

If a food makes you feel bad, don't eat it. That does not mean it isn't gluten free.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Progresso is a part of General Mills.

"General Mills offers several products that are labeled gluten-free. Please check the package label for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package. Only products that can be verified to be gluten free will be declared as gluten free on the label. It is important to check the product label each time you purchase a product because it has the most accurate information about the product in the package.

Because we constantly strive to improve our products′ quality and nutritional value, the most up-to-date product information is on the package the product is purchased in. For that reason, we do not distribute product information lists as they could quickly become outdated. It is important to check the package label before purchasing for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package to verify that the package you choose is gluten free.

For products not labeled gluten free, we will always declare gluten containing ingredients if they are added to the product. If the ingredient declaration lists wheat, oats, barley, rye, or derivatives of these grains, then the product contains gluten. Examples of derivative ingredients include: malt, barley malt, organic malt, semolina, Durham, triticale, and spelt. We do not include gluten containing ingredients in the ′Natural Flavors′ or ′Spices′ on the product ingredient list. If there are gluten ingredients in our products, those ingredients are always clearly listed. (I bolded that part.)

If there are no gluten- containing ingredients listed in the product ingredient label, but the product does not make a gluten free claim, it is because we cannot fully assure that this product is gluten free. While we have not added gluten-containing ingredients, factors such as sourcing, conditions of manufacture, etc. do not allow us to provide the full level of assurance that a gluten free claim requires."

Jeremy Gold, Consumer Services General Mills

A company statement could not be any more honest or clear.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

Perhaps you cannot tolerate the dairy? Are you newly diagnosed? if so, lactose may be an issue.
Temporary secondary lactose intolerance is very common.

Also. you are still healing your gut and many foods may give your grief at first. It is not always hidden gluten causing the problem.

Just a suggestion. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: