Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Anything About Avocado Allergies?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Well now if this isn't strange. For me, that is, since I've never been "allergic" to any food that I know of. All of my life I hated avocados--thought they were slimy, nasty things. It's just been within the last year that started making my own guac, and found I liked it. So every now and then I'll whip some up to have on hand as a healthy snacking alternative, along with baked corn chips. No problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I've been g.f. for 1 month today. About two weeks ago I made my usual guac and honestly, I do this more for a healthy snack than for taste, because although I like my home made guac, it's not something that I load up on a chip. I'll eat maybe a tablespoon at any given time. That's about all I ate then, but I noticed about 45 minutes later my stomach begin to hurt a little, but I ignored it. Then it hurt more and I noticed it was beginning to bloat. My actual stomach, not abdomen. Then it got to the point where the pain was so severe I was doubled-over, and it hurt really bad all that night. It was a couple of days before the pain went away completely. At the time I blamed it on my HCL pills, thinking I had taken too many during dinner (I have hypochoridia, so I have to take HCL w/meals. However, I take only 1 or 2 of the lowest-dose ones, which always seems just right.) But I thought it odd that if that's what it was, it took such a long time to start hurting. Which it wouldn't, looking back--the rare times I've taken too much, I knew it right away. I briefly wondered if it could be the avocado, but dismissed it, since I'd eaten it a lot before, with no ill effects.

Until about an hour ago. I made some guac last night, and just a bit ago ate about 2 tsp. of it with baked tortilla chips. Same reaction. The chips alone have never done this, so it's got to be the avocado. Boy am I done with them! :P

Does anyone else have a reaction like this to avocados? And if so, what can you do for the pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Are you certain that the chips are gluten free and that the reaction is not to an ingredient in the chips? Did you eat chips and guac together both times?
Sometimes it is tricky to figure out. Since you are new to the diet, I would guess it is probably a secondary food intolerance. I don't know how common it is to develop a sensitivity to avocado, cut corn is a big culprit. Did you add salsa, onions, garlic anything like that? The way to figure it out is to try the ingredients, one by one to see which one it is.
I personally had about 20 things I developed sensitivites to after going gluten free, but they all resolved within 6 months, except for broccoli. I've had bad reactions to it twice and have decided I am not so in love with broccoli that i ever want to try it again :lol:
As for the pain, I don't know. The usual advice would be simple, whole foods, lots of water and probiotics. HTH
Janie
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

they all resolved within 6 months, except for broccoli. I've had bad reactions to it twice and have decided I am not so in love with broccoli that i ever want to try it again :lol:

That's how I feel about avocados! and yes, it was the same chips, and they are g.f.! And since going g.f. I've used them to make nachos (w/out avocado) and I was fine. Plus I've eaten a few of them plain, and I was fine. I thought about all the stuff I put in the guac, too, and it's all stuff I eat all the time and have no problem with--fresh-squeezed lime juice, fresh cilantro, onions, garlic, ancho chile powder, a touch of cumin, Med. sea salt and pepper. All of the ingredients, I eat much more often in other stuff than the actual avocado. I had just made it the day before and then put it in the fridge, so it wasn't spoiled.

So I don't know....I just wondered if avocados is a common allergen? I had also wondered, but I think I forgot to ask in my original post, if it is common for people who go off gluten to then develop food sensitivities/allergies after the fact, to foods that never bothered them before. But just a little while ago, I was reading in another forum/post where someone mentioned that exact thing, so I guess this has happened to at least one other person!

#4 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

Probably the avocados then! Yes, very common for other foods to be problems AFTER. That's how it was for me. I don't think they are a common allergen, but neither is broccoli :blink:

#5 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Try each of the items you put in with the avocado separately a few day apart to see if they bother you.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

I know someone who is sensitive to salicylates so I have checked that out as a possibility for continuing issues. I happen to remember that avocados were on the list of fruits that are very high in salicylates. There are sites devoted to salicylate sensitivity that you could check out. Fortunately, I don't have that particular sensitivity because I love those slimy nasty things!

#7 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Thanks everyone!

I saw my doc last week, as it had been exactly 1 mo. since I went g.f., and she wants to test me for food allergies and leaky gut. Unfortunately, I'm uninsured so this will have to wait a few weeks, but.....It's like on the one hand, I'm kind of anxious to have it done, because I want to know it there's anything out there other than gluten (and avocados!) that I need to avoid, as I'm really sick and tired of being sick and tired. :( And of course I want to know about the possible leaky gut thing.

On the other hand, I almost don't want to know! :lol: I mean, what if it turns out that I'm allergic to common, everyday "staple" foods that I love? That would really suck. I'm such a baby! :huh:

#8 alice17

alice17

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

It could definitely be the avocados. I have the same problem. I never ate them growing up. Then, a few years ago, I started eating guacamole. It took a bunch of times to realize that the stomach pain I was having was caused by them. Actually, it was when I had a panini with avocado slices on it that made me realize what it was. I don't have diarrhea or anything. All it is is a severe pain that comes on slowly, gets so bad so that I can barely keep still and am doubled over or in the fetal position and then it slowly goes away. Happens every time. I avoid them, but every once in a while they'll be unexpectedly in something and then I'm in pain.

I wouldn't call it an allergy just because I don't have any breathing problems, but I definitely have an intolerance. I'd avoid them if I were you. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone. Also, many people who have this problem find that other foods, such as bananas and mangoes, cause the same problem. Some also find that they are allergic to latex, too. It's very strange, but there are quite a few message boards and websites where people have talked about this problem.

Good luck!

#9 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one! On Wed. I ate a very healthy, g.f. meal at a restaurant, and the side dish was a lovely mix of fresh organic fruit.

Oh boy. Got the same reaction as with the avocado, only this time I got diarrhea as well. :blink: I don't think it was the grapes or pineapple, as I've eaten both since going g.f. (and all my life), so I'm thinking perhaps either/or the strawberry or kiwi, since, although I've eaten these for many years, I haven't eaten any since going g.f. And before going g.f., nothing I ate ever did this to me.

#10 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

What was the rest of the meal?

#11 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Tuna--which I eat all the time. :blink:

#12 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

so plain Tuna and fruit? That is all? And how about before that? The reason I am asking is because I can almost guarantee you've got some secondary intolerances going on. Sometimes symptoms don't show up for a day or two after you eat. Common culprits for Celiacs: dairy, soy, nightshade veggies, nuts, eggs, corn, and grains of all kinds. I think my list went upwards of 20. Thankfully, they all went away. Except for broccoli. And I am not so sad about that ;)
Are you keeping a food journal?

#13 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

Interesting info on allergy info.

http://www.beyondall...s-reactions.php
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#14 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Are you keeping a food journal?

Oh, thanks for the reminder! Boy, my brain is gone....no, I haven't been keeping a food journal, but I've been meaning to! :lol: I'd read some good things here re. Sparks people, so I signed up there, only to find that it's way more than I was looking for. Someone here recommended Livestrong for a food journal, so I went there, bookmarked it for when I had more time, and forgot to go back!

So of course I don't remember what I ate before the tuna and fruit lunch. But the only time I've had that sort of stomach pain and other stuff, was 15-30 min. or so after eating the guac, and then the fruit platter. But you're right, a food journal would sure help!

#15 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

There are clusters of food allergies, where if you react to one food others can cause trouble. I have ragweed allergies, and the classic mild sensitivity to melons as a cross-reaction. A little googling and I found a cross-reaction list at the Arkansas Allergy Center with "latex, avocado, potato, banana, tomato, chestnut, kiwi fruit, herbs, carrot". You might have reacted to the kiwi sauce. Probably best to go to an allergist rather than subjecting yourself to awful stomach aches trying to figure out if you have cross-reactions to avocados.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: