Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Know Anything About Avocado Allergies?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#16 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, that's for sure, although I did get herbal stuff from my doc that makes the pain go away, since then. It's got aloe, slippery elm, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was at a church potluck on Sun. afternoon and, although I brought a couple of different foods I could eat, decided when I saw a some fruit trays to do a little test. I had my tummy pills with me, so I guess I was feeling brave! :lol: I ate two or three strawberries--no other fruit--and see if it hurt. No pain. Then around 4 a.m., about 13 hours later, the old familiar pain and bloating began. I never how bad it might have gotten, as I got up and took a couple of my pills, which put the kibosh on the pain, if not the bloating.

But my doc wants me to be tested for food allergies and LGS.....I just have to wait a bit, as I don't have insurance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ellie_lynn

ellie_lynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, that's for sure, although I did get herbal stuff from my doc that makes the pain go away, since then. It's got aloe, slippery elm, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was at a church potluck on Sun. afternoon and, although I brought a couple of different foods I could eat, decided when I saw a some fruit trays to do a little test. I had my tummy pills with me, so I guess I was feeling brave! :lol: I ate two or three strawberries--no other fruit--and see if it hurt. No pain. Then around 4 a.m., about 13 hours later, the old familiar pain and bloating began. I never how bad it might have gotten, as I got up and took a couple of my pills, which put the kibosh on the pain, if not the bloating.

But my doc wants me to be tested for food allergies and LGS.....I just have to wait a bit, as I don't have insurance.

I'm curious -- how do they test for leaky gut? I just went to an allergist a couple of weeks ago, and the topic of leaky gut came up, but she never said anything about being able to test for it. But I'd definitely be interested in testing if it's possible.
celiac blood tests: December 2009
celiac diagnosis: January 2010

symptoms (beginning July/Aug 2009): bone pain, thinning skin, neurological problems (paresthesias, dysesthesias, ataxia, brain fog, loss of dexterity, etc.), fatigue, heat/exercise intolerance, mood changes, joint pain, positive RF and ANA, pressure around eyes, trouble falling asleep, thyroid symptoms and autoantibodies

gluten-free since January 2010; RF and ANA now negative; still having some skin problems (not DH)

#18 Lisa79

Lisa79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Kiwi's and grapes are quite common with intolerances, i have been advised to stay away from both.

Although you have probably been told, it takes so long to heal, are you taking l-glutamine is good to help heal you gut lining.

I have been gluten-free for 2 years, I feel so much better now although I still have many intolerances, although they are improving. I ate some potato chips this weekend and for the first time didnt bloat or get an uncomfortable stomach.

Definately agree with keeping the food diary, tomatoes are another huge problem food for me.

Good luck

Lisa

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.
DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005
DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009
DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

#19 Lisa79

Lisa79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

I'm curious -- how do they test for leaky gut? I just went to an allergist a couple of weeks ago, and the topic of leaky gut came up, but she never said anything about being able to test for it. But I'd definitely be interested in testing if it's possible.

Me too ? how do they test ?

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.
DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005
DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009
DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

#20 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

I absolutely love those avacadoes and eat them daily. Hope I never develop an intolerance for them. It would be a sad day.

#21 ellie_lynn

ellie_lynn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Me too ? how do they test ?

After posting, it occurred to me that I could just google it. Here's one summary (there were others similar to this):

"This is the most common form of testing for leaky gut. The person is given a solution containing mannitol and lactulose and collects their urine for six hours to be tested. Lactulose (a disacharride) and Mannitol (a monosaccharide) are two water soluble, non- metabolised sugar molecules. Mannitol is easily absorbed, penetrating cells, whilst Lactulose has larger molecules and is only partially absorbed. If the levels of mannitol and lactulose in the collected urine sample are high it is indicative of Leaky Gut Syndrome. Low levels of both molecules indicate malabsorption of nutrients. High levels of lactulose and low levels of Mannitol indicate that the person has healthy digestion."
celiac blood tests: December 2009
celiac diagnosis: January 2010

symptoms (beginning July/Aug 2009): bone pain, thinning skin, neurological problems (paresthesias, dysesthesias, ataxia, brain fog, loss of dexterity, etc.), fatigue, heat/exercise intolerance, mood changes, joint pain, positive RF and ANA, pressure around eyes, trouble falling asleep, thyroid symptoms and autoantibodies

gluten-free since January 2010; RF and ANA now negative; still having some skin problems (not DH)

#22 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I'd probably have a harder time giving up avocados than gluten, dairy and the nuts I've had to give up. I never had a problem with nuts until I started eating Almonds on a daily basis during a stressful time in my life. Now I get the same reactions to them as you describe with avocados. Sorry, but it sounds like you have other intolerances as well.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#23 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Although you have probably been told, it takes so long to heal, are you taking l-glutamine is good to help heal you gut lining.

EXCELLENT suggestion. I take it each day and recommend it to everyone on here. I blend mine in with my smoothie in the morning.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#24 airen123

airen123

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thank you so much!  This same thing happened to me twice in the last few weeks when eating avocados.  My stomach, too blows up.  It's scary how much it expanded.  Googling this brought up this thread and I just wanted to post that it must be more common than thought. No more cados for me!

Well now if this isn't strange. For me, that is, since I've never been "allergic" to any food that I know of. All of my life I hated avocados--thought they were slimy, nasty things. It's just been within the last year that started making my own guac, and found I liked it. So every now and then I'll whip some up to have on hand as a healthy snacking alternative, along with baked corn chips. No problem.

Until a couple of weeks ago. I've been g.f. for 1 month today. About two weeks ago I made my usual guac and honestly, I do this more for a healthy snack than for taste, because although I like my home made guac, it's not something that I load up on a chip. I'll eat maybe a tablespoon at any given time. That's about all I ate then, but I noticed about 45 minutes later my stomach begin to hurt a little, but I ignored it. Then it hurt more and I noticed it was beginning to bloat. My actual stomach, not abdomen. Then it got to the point where the pain was so severe I was doubled-over, and it hurt really bad all that night. It was a couple of days before the pain went away completely. At the time I blamed it on my HCL pills, thinking I had taken too many during dinner (I have hypochoridia, so I have to take HCL w/meals. However, I take only 1 or 2 of the lowest-dose ones, which always seems just right.) But I thought it odd that if that's what it was, it took such a long time to start hurting. Which it wouldn't, looking back--the rare times I've taken too much, I knew it right away. I briefly wondered if it could be the avocado, but dismissed it, since I'd eaten it a lot before, with no ill effects.

Until about an hour ago. I made some guac last night, and just a bit ago ate about 2 tsp. of it with baked tortilla chips. Same reaction. The chips alone have never done this, so it's got to be the avocado. Boy am I done with them! tongue.gif

Does anyone else have a reaction like this to avocados? And if so, what can you do for the pain?

#25 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

I too lost avocado - a very sad day - when my stomach bloated to 9month preg looking during an elimination diet - - took me over a year to find out why. Histamine Intolerance. The enzmes needed to regulate histamine in our bodies is manufactured in the mucosal lining of the small intestine. I remain hopeful that I will get histamine containing and histamine inducing foods back once my digestive system heals.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#26 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

I have an extreme dislike for avocados so never eat them or anything with guacamole.  Occasionally I will order Mexican food and tell them to leave it off and they forget.  Even a trace amount sets my taste buds on edge.  That's how much I hate it.  But... Garlic gives me the symptoms you are having.  And I don't know why.  I am not allergic.  I am not intolerant.  I have been tested.  I can have a very small amount in something and it's okay.  But too much?  And let the pains begin!

Another thought...  Are you buying organic produce?  It could be that you are reacting to something in or on the produce and not the produce itself.  Sometimes I will buy celery and it makes my tongue go numb.  Thankfully not very often.  But oddly when it does this, it also has an extreme scent of maple syrup to me.  Nobody else can smell this.  So maybe I'm weird?  I just put it back and don't buy it if I notice that aroma.

#27 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

As above sounds like Latex allergy to me, Avocado and Kiwi fruit both come under that, fairly common

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: