6 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

So what vitamins or supplements do I need to get while being gluten free? I know magnesium cuz of constipation, but what else should I get?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Great question. Looking forward to what people have to suggest as I'm new to the vitamin portion of dealing with this lifestyle as well.

I'm currently on 50k units of vitamin D once a week (Rx from GI doc, my D level was super low)
In addition I take a multivitamin and a calcium/vitamin D daily
I take a digestive enzyme, grapefruit seed extract pill and probiotic with dinner
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#3 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I would suggest you get blood tests done to determine if you are low in any vitamins or minerals (I'm not sure if they can test for all of the main ones or not, but they can test several). I know that some vitamins can cause harm if taken in excess, so you don't want to take what you don't need. If you suffer from weakness, like I have, ask that your potassium levels be checked in addition to the others.
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#4 detritus

detritus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

So what vitamins or supplements do I need to get while being gluten free? I know magnesium cuz of constipation, but what else should I get?

I was concerned about the anemia, so instead of coffee every day I drink hot almond milk with a tablespoon of organic blackstrap molasses. It has lots of good vitamins in it, and I actually get a little "happy" high about 20 minutes after drinking it :)
I also take calcium with magnesium, digestive enzymes with every meal, probiotics, fish oil, and a multi-vitamin. All of these gluten-free, of course. Be careful to check on-line if the vitamins, etc. are gluten free.
I'm also adding brewers yeast to my hot cereal.

#5 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

From TEXEdie:
The only accurate way to know what vitamins and supplements you need are to have your doctor run a complete blood assay for your body's current levels of vitamins and minerals. Most doctors do not do this (?) unless asked! A Nutritionist should be involved since recommended levels differ for celiacs compared with the standard lab ranges of low/normal/high. Remember that a malfunctioning small intestine is a nutritional disease, but too often is not treated beyond the gluten-free diet recommendation.

TEXEdie- you accidentally reported this. You want to hit "Add Reply," not "Report this post" unless it violates the rules of the board. Thanks!
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

#6 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

I started taking everything I could get my hands on, thinking it couldn't hurt. I then started getting very bad paresthesia (numbness and tingling) and I thought it was due to the Celiac. I stopped taking most of my supplements for 2 days and the tingling went away. I had a vitamin screening by my doctor, but only on select vitamins......I decided to take the rest LOL. Now all I take is sub-lingual b12, sub-lingual b complex, fish oil, aloe vera juice and D.

#7 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

I started a women's one-a-day multi-vitamin last week. It has a little of everything in it. I was planning to stick with this until I go back to my doctor (appointment in 4 weeks), but I really don't feel good when I take them (I always take the tablet before bed with a rice cake or two and lots of water; wake up almost nauseous and I can't even think about breakfast for an hour). I might try something that's not so dense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: