53 replies to this topic

#1 newgfcali

newgfcali

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

I've got a dinner party to go to tonight and offered to bring dessert. I bought a new gluten-free baking book and it has so many yummy-looking recipes in it, that I thought I'd take it out for a test-drive.

I think of myself as a pretty good baker, but haven't done a lot of baking since going gluten-free 6 months ago. I must say, it's like starting over. This upside down cake was what I would call a fairly complex recipe, lots of ingredients, lots of steps. But since I enjoy baking so much I took it on as a challenge.

To say the end result was a disappointment is an understatement. The recipe called for a garbanzo bean flour mix, but the author said that Bob's Red Mill baking mix could be substituted, as it was basically the same as her custom mix. Either way, the basic flour was garbanzo bean. All I can say is YUCK. I'd read on here that the raw garbanzo bean flour batter is awful tasting, so I was prepared. But what I was not prepared for was the smell of it and the taste of the finished cake. It hardly tastes edible. Both the taste and the aftertaste are bitter to me. I certainly wouldn't serve it to company. For that matter, I wouldn't give it to the cat. It's in the garbage now.

Has anyone else had this experience? I don't think the Bob's baking mix has gone "bad" or rancid. I think it's the taste of the flour itself.

The other gluten-free baking I've tried were based on either rice or sorghum flours, and the end products were quite palatable, although different from their wheat flour counterparts.

I'm tempted to try the recipe again, but with a different cake recipe based on a different flour. Does anyone have a favorite cake recipe they'd like to share? Our dinner isn't until 6 tonight, so there's time to try again.

I feel like crying right now, but I know there's no crying in baking. It's been a tough week and I didn't need this extra reminder of how things have changed.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

I've got a dinner party to go to tonight and offered to bring dessert. I bought a new gluten-free baking book and it has so many yummy-looking recipes in it, that I thought I'd take it out for a test-drive.

I think of myself as a pretty good baker, but haven't done a lot of baking since going gluten-free 6 months ago. I must say, it's like starting over. This upside down cake was what I would call a fairly complex recipe, lots of ingredients, lots of steps. But since I enjoy baking so much I took it on as a challenge.

To say the end result was a disappointment is an understatement. The recipe called for a garbanzo bean flour mix, but the author said that Bob's Red Mill baking mix could be substituted, as it was basically the same as her custom mix. Either way, the basic flour was garbanzo bean. All I can say is YUCK. I'd read on here that the raw garbanzo bean flour batter is awful tasting, so I was prepared. But what I was not prepared for was the smell of it and the taste of the finished cake. It hardly tastes edible. Both the taste and the aftertaste are bitter to me. I certainly wouldn't serve it to company. For that matter, I wouldn't give it to the cat. It's in the garbage now.

Has anyone else had this experience? I don't think the Bob's baking mix has gone "bad" or rancid. I think it's the taste of the flour itself.

The other gluten-free baking I've tried were based on either rice or sorghum flours, and the end products were quite palatable, although different from their wheat flour counterparts.

I'm tempted to try the recipe again, but with a different cake recipe based on a different flour. Does anyone have a favorite cake recipe they'd like to share? Our dinner isn't until 6 tonight, so there's time to try again.

I feel like crying right now, but I know there's no crying in baking. It's been a tough week and I didn't need this extra reminder of how things have changed.

I haven't tried any baking from scratch yet but the Glutin free pantry choc cake was good. I will cook it at least 3 less minutes next time as it was a touch dry. Put a good icing on it. Or cut it up & layer with fruit & whipped cream in a pretty bowl. Is that called a trifle? Layer cake with coffee ice cream. The Betty Crocker brownies are good - throw in choc chips or peppermints & ice real pretty.
Good luck!

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 newgfcali

newgfcali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

I haven't tried any baking from scratch yet but the Glutin free pantry choc cake was good. I will cook it at least 3 less minutes next time as it was a touch dry. Put a good icing on it. Or cut it up & layer with fruit & whipped cream in a pretty bowl. Is that called a trifle? Layer cake with coffee ice cream. The Betty Crocker brownies are good - throw in choc chips or peppermints & ice real pretty.
Good luck!

All wonderful and yummy sounding! Unfortunately I'm dairy-free and one of my dinner mates is allergic (IgE type allergy - yipes!!!) to chocolate. The trifle idea is terrific... I'll file that away in my tiny mind until the day I can reintroduce dairy. It would be perfect for company -- very pretty.

Maybe I'll just throw in the towel and buy some fresh pineapple and put a scoop of non-dairy coconut ice cream on top. That's what I did for Easter and it seemed to go over pretty well. But darn it!!! I want to bake something that tastes halfway decent!

#4 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

Oh! I know your pain! gluten-free baking is so totally different than baking with gluten and there is so much trial and error. I have had quite a bit of disasters myself. I haven't tried too many cake recipes, but I just made the Vanilla Cupcake recipe off of glutenfreegoddess.blogspot Here is the link: My link

You should be able to find it easily just by going to the blog and typing "vanilla cupcakes" in the search if the link doesn't work (I've never posted a link before :)). I put a cream cheese frosting on them instead of the mocha icing, but I think any icing that you like would be good on them.

As far as the bob's flour mix, I wonder if yours was bad, because I have used it in quite a few different thing and it was always okay - if not good. But I usually like to use my own flours most of the time.

I hope you have a baking success before your dinner tonight.

~Sarah

#5 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

I used Betty Crocker's mix for pineapple upside-down cake and maybe two pieces were edible. There's definitely a learning curve to gluten-free baking, even when using mixes and tested recipes! Don't be totally discouraged, though -- I just made banana bread from a normal recipe just substituting a gluten-free all purpose flour mix for the regular flour, and it was delicious and well textured. There's hope!

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

I've made this and everyone liked it...

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze

http://www.epicuriou...late-Glaze-5872

I don't know if you'd have time to make it or not but it is flourless. It is very rich and would serve 10 to 12 (or 16) so it should be cut in very small wedges.

The glaze is cloyingly sweet and makes too much…suggestions were to use only whipping cream and chocolate (i.e. ganache) or serve with a Raspberry Coulis and garnish with fresh raspberries. Or serve with vanilla ice cream. I served it with vanilla ice cream.

After a large meal, I think I'd actually prefer your fresh pineapple/coconut ice cream. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

The glutenfreegoddess site has mostly diary and egg free recipes and everything I have tried has turned out great.

~Sarah

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

Ooops...I need to learn to read. Didn't see that one of your dinnermates is allergic to chocolate. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

I make pineapple upsidedown cake with the Namaste yellow cake mix-Namaste is free of many things! Works great-I've made individual upsidedown cakes in muffin tins-freeze and warm up at your whim.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#10 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have two really good gluten-free books that I use for cupcakes and cookies.

They are both printed by Enjoy Life.

They are:

Enjoy Life's Cupcakes and sweet treats for everyone! / by Betsy Laasko
and
Enjoy Life's Cookies for everyone! / by Leslie Hammond and Betsy Laasko

All of the recipes are gluten-free but most contain no dairy, or they give substitution values for rice milk, and for people with allergies to corn, in which case you can substitute
arrowroot.

There are 150 recipes in each and they are very easy to follow and come out great :)
Most of the recipes use white or brown rice flour and tapioca flour.
I brought in the lemon honey bars to work on Friday and people liked them.
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#11 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

These are some good gluten free deserts and don't require a lot of gluten free flours and the like....

Gluten Free Cookie Delight

Ingredients:
1 stick butter (softened)
8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
12 ounces cool whip (softened)
1 cup powdered sugar
3 ½ cups milk
2 small French vanilla puddings
1 pack Gluten Free chocolate sandwich cookies

Directions:

Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar with
electric mixer. Add cool whip and mix well.
Add 1 box of pudding and 2 cups of milk and
mix. Add second box of pudding and 1 ½ cups
of milk and mix well. Allow to set until pudding
thickens. In casserole dish, layer pudding
and crushed cookies.

Bread Pudding

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 can pet milk
1 ½ cups sugar
10-20 slices of Gluten Free bread
2 teaspoons of vanilla
½ stick of butter
raisins, coconut, and cherries
1 ½ cups milk

Directions:
Beat eggs in large bowl. Add pet milk, sugar,
vanilla and butter. Beat well. Break bread into
small pieces and mash into liquid mix with a
potato masher. Add raisins, coconut, and cherries
and mix well. Add milk and mix slightly. Pour into
9x13 inch greased pan and bake at 350 until top
is golden brown.

Custard

Ingredients:
2 cups milk
6 oz. pet milk
1 block margarine/butter
1 cup sugar
3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In large microwaveable bowl, heat milk,
pet milk, and butter for 7 minutes in
microwave on high heat. Mix sugar, cornstarch,
and nutmeg in medium bowl. When milk is heated,
make a paste with dry ingredients by
adding warm milk to dry ingredients.
Pour paste into milk and stir. Return to
microwave and heat on high heat for
7 minutes. Remove and whip until
smooth. When custard
is thick like pudding remove from
microwave, cool and add vanilla.
Stir until dissolved into custard.
Great cake topping or in Gluten Free Ginger Snap cookie lined pan

Enjoy!

Wenmin

#12 nicolebeth

nicolebeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

These are vegan, not what you're looking for, but I've made them when we've had company with serious gluten and egg allergies. And, no one else complained! The Vanilla Gluten Freedom Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. I've seen the recipe online here and there--just search for the name under Google, if interested. (I was going to write up the recipe, but realized that the directions would be helpful, too!)

I would also look at www.elanaspantry.com. She has great recipes with almond flour that aren't vegan.

#13 newgfcali

newgfcali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thanks, all! I knew I could come here and get some help (and sympathy, which I sorely needed).

I have to confess that I panicked and ran to the store to get a backup dessert. But now, with a backup solidly in the "bag", I'll try again.

I think I'll try your suggestion, Sarah, and go with the glutenfreegoddess' vanilla cupcakes. They're gluten-free, dairy-free, chocolate-free and GARBANZO-FREE!!! What more could a girl want? Besides, I love the way she writes, so how could her cupcakes be anything other than wonderful?

I did check the Bob's mix and it doesn't smell like it's rancid. Just yucky. (I noticed the goddess calls the taste "tinny", which definitely fits.)

I'm going to print out this thread so I can hang on to the recipes, Wenmin, and the book suggestions, AlysounRI, and your link, sa1937. I don't know when I'll be able to have dairy again, but there WILL be a day. I'm determined! And missy'smom... cool idea on the individual upside down cakes. Never thought of that. Do you use pineapple chunks?

Mskedi... I'm curious... why did the betty crocker cake not work? That was going to be my next move. Did it get soggy?

Again, thank you all. I'll report back on the cupcakes. Egads! Is that the time? Must go BAKE!!!!

#14 opus88

opus88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

I highly recommend Bruce Fife's cookbook "Cooking with Coconut Flour."

You mentioned you were dairy-free. Many recipes call for coconut milk. What about eggs? These recipes do use a lot of eggs. Some require butter but many others use coconut oil. Many recipes include low-sugar variations.

I do not like to bake or cook, but almost all of these recipes are easy and well worth the minimal effort. Everything we've tried so far has tasted delicious. Sweet breads, muffins, cakes, pies, pancakes, etc., and even some main courses - the chicken & dumplings is an absolute favorite!

Best wishes!

#15 newgfcali

newgfcali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

I highly recommend Bruce Fife's cookbook "Cooking with Coconut Flour."

You mentioned you were dairy-free. Many recipes call for coconut milk. What about eggs? These recipes do use a lot of eggs. Some require butter but many others use coconut oil. Many recipes include low-sugar variations.

I do not like to bake or cook, but almost all of these recipes are easy and well worth the minimal effort. Everything we've tried so far has tasted delicious. Sweet breads, muffins, cakes, pies, pancakes, etc., and even some main courses - the chicken & dumplings is an absolute favorite!

Best wishes!

Thanks, opus. I'll look up that book on (the a-word big online book seller). Eggs are borderline for me, but I still use them sometimes. In my allergy-free cookbooks I go ahead and use the ground flaxseed & water combo instead, but where a recipe calls for eggs, I use eggs. At this point I don't want to stray from any recipe ingredient. Yet.

I use Earth Balance everything-free butter substitute. There's one that's even soy-free (red label) that's outstanding.

OK, reporting back on the cupcakes. They came out pretty good, but I may have overfilled the papers, because they kind of exploded. They look like mutants, bulging out to one side. But they taste fine. Made some frosting from powdered sugar, the Earth Balance "butter", a little almond milk and 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract. Colored it with red & yellow food coloring to make orange. Presto! Suitable for Halloween.

So disaster averted. On to the party. Of course I'm bringing my own dinner. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: