8 replies to this topic

#1 hannahp57

hannahp57

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

I have a question for those of you with multiple allergies out there....

I work at a health food store and mostly help out new celiacs when i can with learning about the right food choices, reading labels, etc. This customer came in today and said his symptoms include mouth burning, hot/cold chills, skin rash (looks like DH to me) and gastric symptoms such as getting ill after eating, constipation and then loose stools. He said he has been tested for common food allergies and non have thrown any red flags. To me this sounds like a food allergy/sensitivity. My question for those with multiple allergies is have any of you ever had the mouth burning sensation. All the other symptoms match my symptoms and my sister's(who is also celiac) except for the burning sensation. and this just struck me as strange. any input is appreciated as i have no idea about this and even though i will probably not see this customer again, it definitely has me curious

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

How interesting that this comes up--- My daughter's 5th grade teacher had something called oral allergy syndrome and her mouth would burn when she ate raw fruits and vegetables. Cooked--fine. Raw--bad news.

#3 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:04 AM

A friend of mine has oral allergies to fresh fruits. She opted to go with allergy shots and has gotten much better.

#4 hannahp57

hannahp57

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

wow do you think it could have something to do with the things they use when growing frush fruits and veggies? like pesticides or something? that is something i have never heard of. i never would have thought of that

#5 Guest_doradomiel_*

Guest_doradomiel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

I've definitely have had an oral irritation to gluten. The glands under my tongue get this "pins and needles" kind of pain that drives me nuts.

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:21 PM

One of my Celiac symptoms was feelings of burning--in my mouth, on the soles of my feet, and at times I felt like my face was literally on fire. My skin would get hot to the touch--but not red. This was not a result of a fever--it would happen randomly.

After I went gluten-free, it subsided and hasn't happened in years now. It took probably a year-18 months to go completely away.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 JENNI WEBBY

JENNI WEBBY

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

I have a question for those of you with multiple allergies out there....

I work at a health food store and mostly help out new celiacs when i can with learning about the right food choices, reading labels, etc. This customer came in today and said his symptoms include mouth burning, hot/cold chills, skin rash (looks like DH to me) and gastric symptoms such as getting ill after eating, constipation and then loose stools. He said he has been tested for common food allergies and non have thrown any red flags. To me this sounds like a food allergy/sensitivity. My question for those with multiple allergies is have any of you ever had the mouth burning sensation. All the other symptoms match my symptoms and my sister's(who is also celiac) except for the burning sensation. and this just struck me as strange. any input is appreciated as i have no idea about this and even though i will probably not see this customer again, it definitely has me curious

Yes, I have Celiac, and Burning Mouth Syndrome.. I'm starting to notice that maybe they walk hand in hand.. I only started the Gluten Free Diet 3 days ago, but my burning mouth is better already.. :)

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

i had that issue with some antibiotics and red food coloring :( its not fun.

#9 collgwg

collgwg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

i think i am allergic to soy
every time i eat or drink soy i have almost like a chemical burn in my throat along with a rash and various other symptoms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: