9 replies to this topic

#1 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

I was picking up some almond butter at Trade Joes today and then I was looking around at all of the other stuff and I hit upon the licorice.

I am not a crazy-for-sweets person but the one thing that I miss, deeply, is black licorice. I always loved licorice and it shocked me to know that it was made with wheat!!

So I looked at their licorice and the red and black both had wheat listed in their ingredients.
Then I looked at the scottie dog ones.
I didn't see wheat. I hugged the box to myself and grinned like an idiot.

Just to make sure I asked at the desk. They gave me a printed list of their gluten-free items and it was on there!!
I was soooooooooooo happy and I happily bought it.

The ingredients are:

Corn syrup, sugar, modified corn and potato starch, coconut oil, carnauba wax, anise oil, caramel color, licorice root extract. Made on equipment shared with soy.

It's a happy day today :)

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Good to know! I just read yesterday that black licorice is a natural remedy for diahrrhea!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Is this a Trader's Joes product or is a brand that could be found elsewhere? I love black licorice and haven't been able to find any that is safe other than the black Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

Is this a Trader's Joes product or is a brand that could be found elsewhere? I love black licorice and haven't been able to find any that is safe other than the black Jelly Belly Jelly Beans.

Raven:

It's a Trader Joes brand only it seems.
It is marked that way.
If you go up the the service counter too, you will find a handout that you can take away with you with all the gluten-free things that Trader Joes carries. They were very, very helpful at my local one.
If you have a TJ local to you, check it out.
It's not expensive at all and there is a fair amount in the box.
It's soooo tasty too!!

Luvs2eat:

Licorice has long had stomach soothing properties.
But I do think that you have to use the root to have it be most effective.
You can get licorice root tea.
Stash tea and yogi tea make amazing licorice teas.
I drink those when my stomach is not being cooperative.
Lovely, lovely stuff!!

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

Raven:

It's a Trader Joes brand only it seems.
It is marked that way.
~Allison

Awwwwwwwwwwwww I'll have to see if I can find a Trader Joes on my trip to Boston in the fall. I haven't been back to Newport in ages so a detour through RI may be in order so I can bring home a case.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#6 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:27 AM

See next post, can't delete!!

~A.

#7 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:29 AM

Raven:

If I look up licorice scottie dogs on Amazon, I find this:

Gimbals-Fine-Candies-Licorice-10-Pound/dp/B000Z3V3LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271085888&sr=1-1

The modified food starch should be corn only.
And everything else is okay.

So that makes me wonder if you see scottie dog black licorice if it isn't all okay?
Something about scotties apparently :)

If you see it check it out. TJ may buy in bulk from a supplier and then repackage it??

~Allison

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

Raven:

If I look up licorice scottie dogs on Amazon, I find this:

Gimbals-Fine-Candies-Licorice-10-Pound/dp/B000Z3V3LM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1271085888&sr=1-1

The modified food starch should be corn only.
And everything else is okay.

So that makes me wonder if you see scottie dog black licorice if it isn't all okay?
Something about scotties apparently :)

If you see it check it out. TJ may buy in bulk from a supplier and then repackage it??

~Allison

Thank you. I get the Gimbals Jelly beans at Wally world whenever I go there. Perhaps I can contact them and see if anyplace in my area carries the licorice. I really appretiate your looking them up and finding the company.

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

Whole Foods (in Bellevue, WA anyway) carried a gluten free licorice. (It happens to be this one: fancy schmancy gluten-free licorice :P) (looks like that site has a number of gluten-free licorice candies.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

Thank you. I get the Gimbals Jelly beans at Wally world whenever I go there. Perhaps I can contact them and see if anyplace in my area carries the licorice. I really appretiate your looking them up and finding the company.

You are welcome, Raven :)

I also like the fact that the scottie dog licorice pieces are affordable!!

If you can't find them, send me an email.
I'll send you a box.
For a fellow black licorice nut :)

~Allison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: