1 reply to this topic

#1 lauderdalehawk44

lauderdalehawk44

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:08 PM

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about a month ago and have been on the gluten free diet since, when I spoke to my aunt up north she told me my cousin had been gasey and bloated and wasnt gaining any weight. She decided to have her tested and found out she also has celiac disease. Now all my relatives are getting tested. I have a younger brother and hope he doesnt have celiac disease but if he does it will be nice to know he could lead a healthy life because he caught it early. Have your family do a blood test symptoms or not. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kejohe

kejohe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

I would like to add a little bit of advice... Don't get discouraged by initial negative results, especially if it runs in your family and you have symptoms. My son was diagnosed 2 yrs ago, but my mother and I have had intestinal issues all our lives, but when I went to get tested, my blood test was negative... However, the doctor said that the blood test had such a high error rate it was almost ridiculous to even perform it without a biopsy, or trying diagnosis by gluten challenge. The problem is that most insurance won't pay for the biopsy unless the blood test has come back positive.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: