arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Did You Have A Trigger That Started Your Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#16 ali11

ali11

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

My symptoms first started after knee surgery. At first I thought the nausea was from the narcotics I took for a week after, but then it wasn't going away, and more symptoms started. I kind of ignored them for awhile, but when I started getting really bad stomach pain after eating and the diarrhea and constipation got worse, I knew I couldn't just keep living with it. It's funny that this surgery is what started it, because I've had 2 previous surgeries before this one, so I don't know what was different this time.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I had symptoms as a child but after early teens they went away. My first potential trigger was quitting smoking, and at the same time was exposed to Mexican food on a regular basis for the first time, with adverse effects. Lots of bloating :P

Then there were two other triggers 20 years later - a head-on auto accident followed closely by a serious mycoplasma infection. Three years later realized I was lactose intolerant, but that was not all; did not know what the problem was. Add on 11 years and I developed RA and in another year psoriasis. Quit eating gluten in hopes it would help my RA, and realized I was celiac or at the very least gluten intolerant. No testing.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

I believe, although I'm not 100% positive because my symptoms were never terribly noticable, that mine was triggered by a severe case of mono when I was 21. I was sick for the next 2 years with varying diagnoses including lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and finally depression, none of which were correct. Eventually I got mostly better was never 100% again until I got my celiac diagnosis out of nowhere in December.

#19 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

I know I was dealing with various issues my whole life but didn't know what I was actually dealing with. Lots of amalgam fillings and growing pains from early on and lots of gastro issues in middle school. I kept as active as possible and would go into flares of what, I didn't know but learned to keep to myself as I was seen as a complainer if I said anything, especially since no one could figure anything out. Ten years ago, after my ENT had taken me off all antibiotics for years as he said they were messing up my immune system, I went on an antibiotic for the first time in almost 8 years. Within 48 hours I was a mess. Initial diagnosis because of extreme joint pain and kidney problems associated with the onset after antibiotics was for Rheumatoid Arthritis. That seemed to explain the intermittent flares I had encountered every 3-9 months in the past. After the antibiotic episode I never really went out of flare mode for my RA and my RA factor numbers just kept on climbing as the complications mounted. High lupus indicators, Sjogren's, RA and Reynaud's all after that episode. I had to take some antibiotics a few years ago for dental work as I was having multiple root canals by this point. I noticed that I would have normal bowel activity for a few days.. didn't realize how bad it had gotten and what I was used to until the antibiotics seemed to clear things up for a short time. Kept getting worse though and when I could barely move or stand the pain anymore that's when we finally moved in the direction of getting the DX for Celiac. It's been a year this past February and although there has been great improvement I notice that in some ways I almost seem to be regressing. Even though I have been strict in compliance to the gluten-free diet I am starting to have old problems again and gut pain. I still can't handle excessive stress without needing a lot of recovery time although I have been able to sing and teach much more easily that in the past several years. Antibiotics sure seem to be a bit of a theme. I know when I was checking out things at the Lupus foundation I was struck by the statement to the effect that while antibiotics seemed to be linked to flares of SLE they are unwilling to state that they are causitive. ...hmm.... Things that make you go hmm....

#20 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

i recognize now that i had "symptoms" my whole life but when i was 24 it triggered into a full blown daily problem. i kept having the most painful stomach aches and D for hours and hours to where i couldn't move and i went to the doctor about it to find that i was pregnant. symptoms stayed and more symptoms became an issue. we wanted another child only to find that it took almost 5 years to happen ... which now that i look back on it and don't think it was a coinsidence - i started only eating veggies and meat and fruit for a month just trying to think of anything "i" could do to make my pain and issues better ... i didn't just start feeling my health improve i also became pregnant.
still didn't connect the food allergy thing to my health though because i had never heard of celiac or maybe if i did i brushed it off thinking i wasn't allergic to anything. but wow, looking back over the years putting everything together i could have and should have been diagnosed almost 14 years ago!

#21 henny

henny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:13 AM

I too think I had multiple triggers that made my symptoms progressively worse.
I had the standard things....surgery, severe stress, traumatic illness.
Each time I had a worsening of my symptoms that never backed off. Eventually after the last trigger I was unable to keep anything down and was in crippling pain for several weeks straight. When I stopped eating entirely for a few days and then re-introduced foods one at a time it was clear what was wrong with me.

I look forward to my next life trauma (not really) because I know it won't lead to more debilitating GI issues....YAY!

#22 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

I look forward to my next life trauma (not really) because I know it won't lead to more debilitating GI issues....YAY!

Hi henny--I had a hysterectomy after being gluten-free for a couple of years and actually had the same thought! :D Happy to report no worsening of or additional symptoms. ;)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#23 henny

henny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Ha! Too funny! It's amazing how chronic pain can warp your mind and sense of humor!

Hi henny--I had a hysterectomy after being gluten-free for a couple of years and actually had the same thought! :D Happy to report no worsening of or additional symptoms. ;)

#24 bittykitty

bittykitty

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:35 AM

Actually ,the illness is not all a negative for me.I became very aware for the first time of what I was doing to my body.The necessary changes to my diet( having to cut way back on junk foods due to multiple food issues,if I do not eat at least 3-4 servings of veggies/fruits a day,I start sliding downhill again)and having to learn to manage stress have improved my life greatly.Not the way I would have wanted it to happen,but we don't always get the message delivered politely,do we?
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes"Douglas Adams

#25 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

I always had a nervous stomach but I REALLY had problems after I had my son. For a YEAR my doctor insisted it was the combo of having a deployed husband and new baby and stress. I wasn't depressed, wasn't stressed out any more than normal, there was no explanation why I couldn't eat. Then I went in armed with information and family history and told him that my grandmother's problems didn't start until after she had my Uncle, who was the first of 5. At her suggestion I cut out Gluten like she had. THEN he looked at me and said "Ok we'll do some tests"

And now we know that my grandmother and I share food allergies. I hope the next pregnancy is easier since I know what I am allergic to.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#26 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

I was diagnosed 2 months ago, but when I think back, I probably first started showing symptoms 7 years ago. At that time I was finding I often felt bloated after lunch (for which I almost always had a sandwich), so I decided to give up bread. I blamed my symptoms on yeast, and without bread, I felt better. As best as I can recall I no other symptoms until Spring 2009, when I had 10 days of severe diarrhea in absence of any other symptoms (no 'flu-like symptoms such as aches or fever, and no headache that might suggest food poisoning) that caused me to lose weight I couldn't afford to lose. I work-out a lot, and when I started running outside again that Summer, I just couldn't get back into the outdoor-running rhythm like I could previous years, and throughout the Summer and into the Fall my workouts were disappointing: I felt I was losing strength and they seemed to take more out of me than they used to (no longer would get that "tired but energized" feeling after a workout). Also during these summer and fall months I had intermittent pressure and occasional bloating in my stomach, but it was so intermittent that it was easy to find something to blame: too many ab crunches, too much root beer, etc. Over Christmas I had extreme bloating and gas after every meal that would seldom completely go away. I was just starting to get my act together to see my doctor about it, when in mid-Jan. of this year I had severe abdominal pain that landed me in emergency, and then got tests, etc. No diagnosis of the problem in the ER: I did some online research later at home that suggested I might have celiac, and talked about what I found out with my doctor. One thing led to another, and I was diagnosed with celiac in Feb.

I have been very unhappy in my job for the past 5 years, I had been working out hard to try to get back to where I felt I should be physically, and over Christmas I was very upset and concerned about a close friend (personality changes and possible involvement with selling drugs), so maybe "stress" had some kind of triggering role for me.
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#27 DonaldandAlanda Evans

DonaldandAlanda Evans

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:33 PM

I was in a motorcycle accident that seemed to bring on the bad symptoms.

#28 ewmyers

ewmyers

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

About a year ago my guts started acting funny after eating sushi. 6 months later the symptoms had become cyclical and I was able to self diagnose internal parasites. I took an herbal remedy ParaGone for 2 months, until I stopped seeing any more intestinal flukes. My symptoms were much improved, but still present, and no longer tied to anything I could figure out. I asked my doctor, he had me tested for celiac disease, and the final diagnosis (biopsy) came last week. I was only eating wheat about 3 times per week before, now zero.

#29 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:04 AM

For me it was a severe flu in my early 20s. Unfortunately, it took 12 years for me to figure out all my GI problems, anxiety, and chronic fatigue were celiac disease.

#30 Emsstacey

Emsstacey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:02 AM

I have had symptoms all my life, but the stress of paramedic school caused symptoms to step up a bit. Had an EGD that dx only gastritis and bloodtests that revealed anemia and low platelettes. I don't think I was ever tested for celiac. Fast forward 12 years to age 30 and ended up with Lyme. The combination of Lyme and extended antibiotics left me feeling 100 years old with extreme fatigue and joint pains. Ended up dx with osteopenia and very low vit d. Bloodwork showed high dgp. Have not pursued further testing as the docs here are not very up to date with newer research and I am tired of being a guinea pig. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: