This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hey New To The Forums

Glutenfreenoobie

Black Sheep Apprentice

Your fatigue may be a symptom of withdrawl. A detox thing. I've been fatigued for years, to the point of one doc thinking I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. But shortly after going off gluten, ohmygosh! :o It was awful. I could barely keep my eyes open, and felt so weak and run-down, it was all I could do to get up out of my recliner (which I practically lived in for awhile there!) and go to the bathroom! It was like the severe fatigue you can get with the flu, only of course without the fever, body aches, and other flu symptoms. It was so bad that, after reading some stuff here about how celiacs very often are anemic, I insisted on being tested, thinking that that just had to be it. When the tests came back, I was actually quite high in iron and ferritin, and my doc said that severe fatigue is a common symptom of the gluten withdrawl and detox process.

But that horrible fatigue is gone now, and I'm beginning to feel a little more normal. Not great, but certainly better. It's been 5 weeks for me, and I know it's going to take a long time to get well--after all, I didn't get sick overnight, so I can't expect to recover overnight either! :( I have read some posts on here where people have said they've been off gluten longer than I, and still aren't back to normal. Hang in there, Noobie--yes, it can be a long, steep road back, but hey, at least the road is going in the right direction! Beats the quick and easy road downhill to an early grave, imo. :huh:

Oh, btw, I meant to tell you, re. your answer about the burping up what you think might be stomach acid: There's a very informative book by Dr. Jonathan Wright, founder and Director of the Tahoma Clinic near Seattle, where I used to go. Dr. Wright has been a pioneer in the discovery and treatment of hypochloridia, and the name of his book is, "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You". Do you know if there are any Naturopath or Homeopathic drs./clinics in your area who can test you for low stomach acid? Good luck finding a maintstream dr. who can or will do this--I once went to a G.I. who had the gall to tell me that the testing I had done was "hocus-pocus", and that I didn't need to be taking stomach acid. He actually told me that we don't need acid to digest our food! :o Even after I told him how taking the HCL had stopped the reflux, that my food no longer sat in my gut feeling like a lead weight, and that once my B12 levels were raised, I hadn't had a problem with the pernicious anemia since--as I talked, he just kept looking at me like I was a pathetic idiot, and shaking his head. I guess you know I never returned to that clown.

I also just wanted to re-iterate that even if it turned out you do have low stomach acid (hypochloridia), that doesn't mean you're not celiac or gluten intolerant. When I went to Dr. Wright's clinic, in addition to getting the "acid test", they wanted me to go off gluten for a month to see how I felt. Unfortunately I felt no better, but looking back I now realize that I had been accidentally "glutening" myself in various ways, so it was no wonder. Now there was a case where testing was definitely called for, as I had insurance then, too (I was seeing another dr. there, not Dr. Wright).

Don't give up!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RollingAlong Explorer

I mean once you've been sick for so long with an illness, how do you remember what normal is?

You can develop an intolerance at any point in life. You can have physical, mental, emotional symptoms. Or any combo, there's a wide variety between individuals. So your symptoms may not match your dad's. It would be great if he would try the diet with you. Maybe he would be interested in the Paleo diet as a start. The Paleo diet is a great way to prevent diabetes because it helps prevent metabolic syndrome (obesity, hypertension, etc).

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

Many folks go through a gluten withdrawal phase, which can last for a couple of weeks at least. Gluten makes you feel good and when you take it away your body wants a fix :lol:

No way? Are you saying gluten is addicting?

There is little hope for my dad trying the diet with me. My dad is a very comfort seeking person. If a new food does not taste that good but is good for him, it takes a lot of work for him to even give the new food a try. I can't get my dad to switch from whole milk to 2% milk because my dad's dad would only drink whole milk. My dad tends to see me as being mean to him when I try to get my dad to try something new.

mushroom Proficient

No way? Are you saying gluten is addicting?

There is little hope for my dad trying the diet with me.

'Fraid so, but not quite as bad as ciggies or that white powder stuff :rolleyes: I speak as someone who didn't have a lot of problem with gluten, but almost d.i.e.d without the ciggies :lol: (but would have died with them!) :o Some people won't even quit ciggies to save their lives so, no, there may not be a lot of hope for your dad. unless you can make him see how much better he would feel by your example.

Unfortunately, we seem to crave those things that harm our bodies :(

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

'Fraid so, but not quite as bad as ciggies or that white powder stuff :rolleyes: I speak as someone who didn't have a lot of problem with gluten, but almost d.i.e.d without the ciggies :lol: (but would have died with them!) :o Some people won't even quit ciggies to save their lives so, no, there may not be a lot of hope for your dad. unless you can make him see how much better he would feel by your example.

Unfortunately, we seem to crave those things that harm our bodies :(

Most of my favorite food was pasta dishes. I'm an Italian so my family is upset about the no gluten mess, I mean diet. :)

mushroom Proficient

Most of my favorite food was pasta dishes. I'm an Italian so my family is upset about the no gluten mess, I mean diet. :)

Buy some Tinkyada pasta and surprise him!

Black Sheep Apprentice

I second that! Tinkyada is great! Even though I've been g.f. for 5 1/2 weeks, I've been using Tinkyada brown rice pasta for a couple of years now. My reasoning then was, brown rice is probably healthier than all that processed wheat. But I think I knew deep down that I had a major gluten problem--just didn't want to admit it. Anyway, my husband didn't even know for the longest time that he wasn't eating "regular" pasta. Neither did my kids, both pasta lovers, when they'd visit. I found that the secret is to rinse it really, really, well--and then, once you've put on whatever your putting on it, seasoned it, or whatever, you can't tell the difference. It seems to take a bit longer to cook that the regular kind. And I've found that when using it for cold salads, I actually need to overcook it just a bit, because for some reason, once the salad is made and it's been in the fridge for several hours, the pasta seems to get a bit harder. Strange.

Now that's the brown rice pasta, I don't know about the white rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

My favorite pastas are Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. It comes in like 8 varieties. they're all great, and quinoa is really good for you. It's a "perfect protein."

Black Sheep Apprentice

Oh, I want to try that! In fact I have some of their spaghetti, but it's the quinoa-corn combo. In fact, that's the only quinoa pasta I can find around here, is mixed with corn.

Nilnala Newbie

A month and a half is not that long? Oh man I've been having lots of trouble with my social life trying to go gluten free. My friends tend to love baked goods. I can't believe how many of my favorite fast food restaurants serve gluten. Oddly I've never liked steak before and now I like steak a lot. Seems by eliminating gluten, other foods I suddenly like. I'm also eating a lot of seafood. I've been crazed about eating seafood lately.

Mushroom "And for the remaining digestive symptoms, perhaps some digestive enzymes would help your pancreas out a little, because sometimes its ability to produce enzymes is impaired by gluten. Stick with it, and keep asking questions."

Hmm, by digestive enzymes you mean yogurt right? I've been drinking the last of the soy milk in my house until the digestive problems diminish.

Wow! Before I went gluten free I absolutely hated meat. Now I am seriously craving chicken and pork chops and though I always used to hate the texture of most beef, I'm considering trying steak and pot roast. Anybody have an explanation for changes in food tastes off of gluten (I do admit, I haven't read all the way through the posts on this thread, so forgive me if that has already been answered)?

Nilnala Newbie

My favorite pastas are Ancient Harvest Quinoa pasta. It comes in like 8 varieties. they're all great, and quinoa is really good for you. It's a "perfect protein."

Any ideas on where one could purchase it? I read in a Gluten free something or other for dummies that Quinoa is really, really nutritious...but I can't seem to find any where I am at (think small and rural and cornfield).

• 4 weeks later...
Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

Wow! Before I went gluten free I absolutely hated meat. Now I am seriously craving chicken and pork chops and though I always used to hate the texture of most beef, I'm considering trying steak and pot roast. Anybody have an explanation for changes in food tastes off of gluten (I do admit, I haven't read all the way through the posts on this thread, so forgive me if that has already been answered)?

Here's my totally non-expert opinion. Whenever the body goes through a major change in diet, for example eliminating gluten, the body is forced to change. In other words, you are changing your body's chemistry by going gluten-free.

Now about me! :) I've been good about going gluten-free since my last post. I've also tried milk free, but I cannot bear to give cheese. Cheese! I'm also trying a new technique to me. My GI track and my throat seem irritated, I think I have a head cold.

I've been dousing my throat with hot liquid like green tea and microwaved almond milk. I'm also using acupressure to clear my sinus. With my sinus clear I can breathe through my nose which helps my throat. I'm also chewing my food at minimum 50 time and sometimes in excess of 200 times per bite. 200 is when I'm chewing something like sweet potato skin. I think all the nutrients are in the skin. I feel great despite my head cold. I have not taken any medicine other than my usual over the counter allergy medicine. I just sneezed while writing about my allergies, coincidence?

Mrsb2010 Newbie

Hmmm, I still have some symptoms, mostly upset digestive system as of right now. Is there any food I can eat that will help purge my system of gluten? I just have a little bit of gas and erratic elimination of waste. For example I'll drink 10oz of water over 2 hours and I'll have to pee 6 times in the same 2 hours.

Wolicki "If you live in a gluteny household, get your own toaster, condiments, etc. because YES someone douple dipping a knife into the peanut butter or margarine can make you sick!"

Peanut butter and Margaine don't have gluten do they?

It isn't the peanut butter and margarine, but the toast the knife goes across in the spreading then dipping back into the jars for more.....cross contamination.

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

It isn't the peanut butter and margarine, but the toast the knife goes across in the spreading then dipping back into the jars for more.....cross contamination.

I'm starting to feel better. I've been gluten free since Feb. 22ish, or three months now. I've noticed that I have increased stamina and I don't have to eat quite so much. I'm wondering what would cause increased stamina and not having to eat so much.

My dad was often called "hollow-leg" because my dad could eat so much and not get fat. I'm wondering if my dad has the same condition as me. BTW I'm going dairy free lately and my stomach is so much more calm now.

Glutenfreenoobie Rookie

I'm starting to feel better. I've been gluten free since Feb. 22ish, or three months now. I've noticed that I have increased stamina and I don't have to eat quite so much. I'm wondering what would cause increased stamina and not having to eat so much.

My dad was often called "hollow-leg" because my dad could eat so much and not get fat. I'm wondering if my dad has the same condition as me. BTW I'm going dairy free lately and my stomach is so much more calm now.

I just observed something else that may involve celiac. In the bathroom I noticed I have no pimples. I haven't had any pimples for about 2 months, approx one month after going gluten free! Hopefully this info will be of some use to someone. I'm using this thread like a journal or progress report on myself going gluten-free.

Archived