This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fritolay Gf Products

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Theres some old posts about about them, but the link(s) to the list appears to have changed, took some digging, but I finally found the new link to thier gluten-free list:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

domineske Apprentice

My daughter brought home a pack of Stax yesterday, because she noticed it was labeled gluten-free. I hope this trend is increasing!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Where on the label does it say gluten free? I've looked and can't find it :(

Another question... are any of the lays products produced on separate lines? I've heard that the stax and the baked chips are produced on separate lines but I am not sure. The reason I am asking is because they are discontinuing the Old El Paso chips at my grocery store and I don't think they sell them anywhere else where I live :o

So I need I new "safe" brand. Thanks. B)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

They say "This product is naturally free of gluten" on the side of the STAXX Chips container.

The STAXX are supposedly made on dedicated lines as well as a few other chips they make so they are definitely safe.

Frito Lay also makes other gluten free products that are not made on dedicated lines.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I'm eating stax right now :lol: ...on the sour cream and onion kind it says "this product is naturally free of gluten" right below the back label where it says 0 grams trans fat and to the right of the nutritional facts label. It has it in different places on each flavored container, but always on the back.

The original stax says it in the same place as the sour cream, but the others do not.

Guest nini

the guy I spoke with in Frito Lay's customer service dept. said that even if the Stax aren't labeled "naturally free of gluten" the entire Stax line IS gluten free. Just a marketing "test" they were trying with not including that on some labels (like the Pizza flavor) but he assured me that the entire Stax line is safe.

celiac3270 Collaborator

I never tried the pizza one because it didn't say gluten-free on the container and because just hearing the word pizza draws immediate suspicion, the way it would if you saw...brownie or cookie.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

the whole reason I had called them was because of the pizza flavor, I was in the store, saw "new flavor" and thought wow! But didn't see the gluten-free label, so I picked up my cell phone and called the 800 #... they assured me that ALL of the Stax are gluten-free, so enjoy the pizza flavor! BTW, we did end up buying them and trying them, they are good!

VydorScope Proficient

Anyone know if the baked are made on a seperate line like the Staxx? I have a bag of them here begging to be eaten....

celiac3270 Collaborator

The baked aren't made on dedicated lines...though I can say that I haven't reacted to the wavy lays, which also are not made on dedicated lines. The ones on separate lines are Lays Potato Chips (Classic), Ruffles, Lays Stax (all flavors), and Fritos

Carriefaith Enthusiast
The baked aren't made on dedicated lines
That's too bad :(

I was hoping they were. I may give the lays stax a try again since they are on dedicated lines.

VydorScope Proficient
That's too bad :(

I was hoping they were. I may give the lays stax a try again since they are on dedicated lines.

Ah well I will just eat give this bag to teh nieghbors and get some STAXX!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Almost every store I go into I check the lays label for "This product is naturally free of gluten", but I've never seen it. Then... I realized that maybe only the lays chips in the US have that on the label (since I'm in Canada). Maybe the ones in Canada aren't made on separate lines?

Turtle Enthusiast

WOO-HOO! Thanks for sharing this. I'm still new to all this and learning the good from the bad so i'm excited b/c for me this is something "new" that is safe to eat! And just in time for the weekend! Whoopee!!

• 4 weeks later...
sonjaf Rookie

Ok, I am so confused about this stuff. I am new to this disease, just diagnosed in March 2005, and I am 35 years old. I heard that BBQ sauce contained gluten, or was somehow processed in a way that made it unsafe, but I read the Lay's website link and it says their brand of BBQ chips are gluten free. Has anyone tried them? Are they indeed safe? If so YEAH!! :D

S

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I heard that BBQ sauce contained gluten, or was somehow processed in a way that made it unsafe

There are a lot of gluten free BBQ sauces! I use the ones by Kraft because they will clearly put gluten in the ingredients if it is there.

but I read the Lay's website link and it says their brand of BBQ chips are gluten free. Has anyone tried them? Are they indeed safe? If so YEAH!!

If you want BBQ lays go with LAY’S® STAX® BBQ Flavored Potato Crisps. They are apparently produced on separate "gluten free" lines and therefore should not be contaminated. Most of their other chips are produced on the same lines as gluten chips.

One question for those who have called and confirmed that the STAX are produced on separate lines... Why do they still have this warning:

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.
at the end of their gluten free list when the list includes STAX chips?

Open Original Shared Link

Guest Eloisa

I only eat the regular Lays Potato Chips. I've tried their BBQ ones in the past and I always get that stinging feeling after I eat them.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Not all BBQ sauce contains gluten...and the Stax are definitely gluten-free. THey have a pizza flavor, too, but it's gluten-free. And hidden valley ranch dressing isn't gluten-free, but their flavor of Lays stax is....

connole1056 Rookie

I think it is important to remember these products are flavored to taste like BBQ, Hidden Valley Ranch, pizza, etc. They do not necessarily contain the ingredients they are supposed to taste like.

Does anyone know if this company is planning to label all of their gluten-free products in a similar manner? I am going to request they do. Will anyone else do this? It would be so helpful if they did, I plan on having my friends and relatives make the request as well!

Guest nini

When I called them I requested that they label all of their products that are gluten free... Obviously the guy I talked to was just a customer service rep, but he said he would pass the message along to the "higher ups"

connole1056 Rookie

I know we do not get to talk to the president of the company, but if enough people ask for something it might help.

• 2 weeks later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Ok... I am desperate for some potato chips :lol: I've read somewhere that the lays regualar chips are produced on separate lines (I think it was a post by celiac3270). Is this true? And are there ANY other chips produced on that line? Like gluten chips or dairy chips.

VydorScope Proficient

It was posted here on this board that ALL LAYS STAX are not only gluten-free, but on a seperate line from the gluten stuff. We eat them constantly here heh. Even use them to make gluten-free Chicken Nuggest now. I dont bother with any other chip since I have a varity with Stax that I like, and know are safe. Some of them are albed "This product is naturally gluten free" some are not, which is silly... since they all are. Currently have pizza, cheddar and regular... regular is the best of course. :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

yea... I know that the lays STAX are gluten-free and produced on separate lines, but I can and have reacted to them because not all of them are dairy free. Therefore, I can get dairy cross contamination :( Thanks for the help though :)

I've just heard that the regular Lays chips are produced on separate lines and I was just wondering if this was true?

Guest nini

Your best bet would be to call the company and ask them. Keep asking until you get a satisfactory answer... The times that I've called them they have always been very nice and helpful, and they even sent me a bunch of coupons!

Archived