#1 Becks85

Becks85

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

I'm traveling to Poland this summer for a couple weeks, and I'm really nervous about eating gluten-free and dairy-free. I've been to Poland before, but it was before I was diagnosed. I've also travelled abroad a couple times after diagosis, and I can't say that I've ever been very successful at avoiding gluten (due to the newness of the diet). Does any one have any tips or experiences to share? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Becks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 buffettbride

buffettbride

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

Do you speak Polish?

#3 Becks85

Becks85

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Do you speak Polish?

No, but I hope to find some gluten-free restaurant cards.

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

I buy food from markets when I travel (even before gluten-free). It's a lot cheaper and you know what you're eating. True, you aren't sitting in some restaurant with a glass of wine, but you can use the money you save to take a taxi somewhere fun to eat your picnic of sliced meat, fresh fruits and veggies, and even a bottle of wine if you are so inclined.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

http://www.celiakia....=120&Itemid=105
- oficial webpage of Polish celiac society.

Otherwise, I'd say Poland should be quite safe - they are the main exporter of gluten-free food in Eastern Europe and even their exported food that is not designated as gluten-free is very well labelled everywhere in the world (they export a lot of typical central-european food to North America). I've never been there after my diagnosis, so it's just my guess. (I lived gluten-free in Czech republic, right next to Poland.)
The only "problem" is that they use almost exclusively wheat starch, so if you have to avoid wheat in general, not just gluten, that might make it dificult.

#6 Becks85

Becks85

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Excellent point, Jestgar. I've always eaten in restaurants while travelling, but I guess I just need to realize that this may not be the best idea anymore. I'm planning on staying in hostels, so I'll try to stay at one's that offer kitchens. I'll probably save some money, too!

Pac, thanks for the website. I'm a little confused about wheat starch, though. Is this put specifically in gluten-free foods or in all foods? I've read that some wheat starch is still unsafe for people with Celiacs but other forms would be ok. I'm guessing any product labelled gluten-free, even if it contains wheat starch, would be ok then? I had no idea about wheat starch, but I guess you learn new things every day.

Thanks for your responses!

#7 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

Excellent point, Jestgar. I've always eaten in restaurants while travelling, but I guess I just need to realize that this may not be the best idea anymore. I'm planning on staying in hostels, so I'll try to stay at one's that offer kitchens. I'll probably save some money, too!

Pac, thanks for the website. I'm a little confused about wheat starch, though. Is this put specifically in gluten-free foods or in all foods? I've read that some wheat starch is still unsafe for people with Celiacs but other forms would be ok. I'm guessing any product labelled gluten-free, even if it contains wheat starch, would be ok then? I had no idea about wheat starch, but I guess you learn new things every day.

Thanks for your responses!

Wheat starch used in gluten-free products is special deproteined one. The regular 'non-gluten-free' food wheat starch is not safe. Most czech gluten-free flour mixes based on wheat starch have about 17mg of gluten per 1kg, it's just slightly more than naturally gluten-free products and withing the "safe" limits. (except for sensitive freaks like me who react to amounts undetectable by ELISA)

#8 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

'Bezgluten' the Polish Gluten Free Manufacturer has a range of Breads, Flours and Pastas.

bezgluten website

Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#9 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

If you're going to be in Krakow, I'd recommend a vegetarian place called Momo. I've eaten there many times. The staff speak English and are helpful if you explain what you can't eat. Also be on the lookout for Schar products (usually sold in the bio shops) and like others have said markets...and even regular supermarkets will keep you sustained :) (Drug stores sometimes carry gluten-free products as well).
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#10 nowheatpete

nowheatpete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Heres another handy website maybe, they make gluten free products

http://www.glutenex.com.pl
http://www.balviten.com/_en/
http://www.schaer.com/en/

Maybe email them and find out where you can buy their products in Poland?

Theres also a company in germany that makes celiac cards www.delicardo.com, I'm not sure if they have Polish cards but could probably have them made considering their are som many poles in Germany.

all the best

#11 nowheatpete

nowheatpete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:14 AM

This word list may also be helpful

http://www.food-info...lergy/en-pl.pdf

#12 Becks85

Becks85

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Thanks again everyone for your responses! They will be very useful as I prepare for my trip!

#13 bezglutenu

bezglutenu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

Did you already go to Poland.

I have not traveled to Poland much after I went gluten-free, but I have to worn you that eating out in Poland might be a bit challenging given that wheat and dairy products are a very common ingredient in Polish kitchen, starting from soups ending on desserts. Most salads should be safe, but you still need to make sure. Potatoes and rice should be fine, but you need to make sure that butter is not used (I am assuming that you cannot have butter).

You might need to alter previously suggested text due to your dairy-free restriction, I put the items you want to remove in "[ ]" and ADDITIONS IN CAPS. This is the edited text from http://www.celiakia....=120&Itemid=105, :

"Jestem na diecie bezglutenowej i bezmlecznej. Nie mogę spożywać produktów zawierających pszenicę, żyto, jęczmień i owies oraz wszelkich wyrobów z ich dodatkiem, szczególnie mąki, skrobi i bułki tartej. RÓWNIEŻ NIE MOGĘ SPOŻYWAĆ WYROBÓW MLECZNYCH (MLEKO, SERY, ŚMIETANA, JOGURT, MASŁO).

Mogę jeść: kukurydzę, ryż, ziemniaki (BEZ MASŁA), soję, proso, grykę i wszelkie ich przetwory. Również wszystkie warzywa i owoce, [mleko, ser biały,] jajka, świeże mięso i wysokogatunkowe wędliny. Glutenu nie zawierają również [masło,] margaryny, oleje, oliwa z oliwek."

SERDECZNIE DZIĘKUJĘ BARDZO ZA POMOC!"

Hope this helps. Unless you get some leads re: gluten/dairy-free-friendly restaurants, I would suggest finding a health-food store where you can buy some ingredients, and packing your own lunches.

Look for stores called "zdrowa żywność." According to information posted on http://www.celiakia.pl/, it sounds like these stores should offer some gluten free products:

Warsaw:
C.H. Złote Tarasy (ul. Złota 59),
Arkadia (ul. Jana Pawła II 82),
Skorosze (ul. Gen.Sławoja-Składkowskiego 4),
Galeria Mokotów (ul. Wołoska 12)

Wrocław:
C.H. Magnolia Park (ul.Legnicka 58)

Gdańsk:
C.H. Galeria Bałtycka (Al. Grunwaldzka 141)

Łódź:
C.H. Manufaktura (ul.J.Karskiego 5)

Poznań: C.H.
Stary Browar (ul. Półwiejska 36),
City Park (ul.Wyspiańskiego 26)

It also sounds like you should be able to find something in the large chain stores like Carrefour, ALMA, Stokrotka, Auchan (not sure though how much leg-work this will require).

And here is information about the first celiac-friendly restaurant in Warsaw - it's a bit out of the way:

Oliwka
al. KEN 36a, behind Galerii Ursynów mall,
tel. 0 22 649 17 36
http://www.oliwka.eu/

Hope this helps. If I find some additional information I will let you know.

Hello,

I'm traveling to Poland this summer for a couple weeks, and I'm really nervous about eating gluten-free and dairy-free. I've been to Poland before, but it was before I was diagnosed. I've also travelled abroad a couple times after diagosis, and I can't say that I've ever been very successful at avoiding gluten (due to the newness of the diet). Does any one have any tips or experiences to share? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Becks

#14 bezglutenu

bezglutenu

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

Oops! I added "SERDECZNIE" and meant to remove "BARDZO" from the following sentence: "SERDECZNIE DZIĘKUJĘ BARDZO ZA POMOC!" You can either leave "SERDECZNIE DZIĘKUJĘ ZA POMOC!" or "DZIĘKUJĘ BARDZO ZA POMOC!"

Did you already go to Poland.

I have not traveled to Poland much after I went gluten-free, but I have to worn you that eating out in Poland might be a bit challenging given that wheat and dairy products are a very common ingredient in Polish kitchen, starting from soups ending on desserts. Most salads should be safe, but you still need to make sure. Potatoes and rice should be fine, but you need to make sure that butter is not used (I am assuming that you cannot have butter).

You might need to alter previously suggested text due to your dairy-free restriction, I put the items you want to remove in "[ ]" and ADDITIONS IN CAPS. This is the edited text from http://www.celiakia....=120&Itemid=105, :

"Jestem na diecie bezglutenowej i bezmlecznej. Nie mogę spożywać produktów zawierających pszenicę, żyto, jęczmień i owies oraz wszelkich wyrobów z ich dodatkiem, szczególnie mąki, skrobi i bułki tartej. RÓWNIEŻ NIE MOGĘ SPOŻYWAĆ WYROBÓW MLECZNYCH (MLEKO, SERY, ŚMIETANA, JOGURT, MASŁO).

Mogę jeść: kukurydzę, ryż, ziemniaki (BEZ MASŁA), soję, proso, grykę i wszelkie ich przetwory. Również wszystkie warzywa i owoce, [mleko, ser biały,] jajka, świeże mięso i wysokogatunkowe wędliny. Glutenu nie zawierają również [masło,] margaryny, oleje, oliwa z oliwek."

SERDECZNIE DZIĘKUJĘ BARDZO ZA POMOC!"

Hope this helps. Unless you get some leads re: gluten/dairy-free-friendly restaurants, I would suggest finding a health-food store where you can buy some ingredients, and packing your own lunches.

Look for stores called "zdrowa żywność." According to information posted on http://www.celiakia.pl/, it sounds like these stores should offer some gluten free products:

Warsaw:
C.H. Złote Tarasy (ul. Złota 59),
Arkadia (ul. Jana Pawła II 82),
Skorosze (ul. Gen.Sławoja-Składkowskiego 4),
Galeria Mokotów (ul. Wołoska 12)

Wrocław:
C.H. Magnolia Park (ul.Legnicka 58)

Gdańsk:
C.H. Galeria Bałtycka (Al. Grunwaldzka 141)

Łódź:
C.H. Manufaktura (ul.J.Karskiego 5)

Poznań: C.H.
Stary Browar (ul. Półwiejska 36),
City Park (ul.Wyspiańskiego 26)

It also sounds like you should be able to find something in the large chain stores like Carrefour, ALMA, Stokrotka, Auchan (not sure though how much leg-work this will require).

And here is information about the first celiac-friendly restaurant in Warsaw - it's a bit out of the way:

Oliwka
al. KEN 36a, behind Galerii Ursynów mall,
tel. 0 22 649 17 36
http://www.oliwka.eu/

Hope this helps. If I find some additional information I will let you know.

#15 pawelski

pawelski

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

Hi Becks,

If you intend to visit Krakow, I'd recommend you the gluten-free restaurant. This is the only one I've ever heard (so and eaten there).
They offer special gluten free menu containing dozens of dishes (including traditional polish cuisine). The food is really delicious. I assure.
http://www.podbaranem.com/english.html
gluten-free menu (in polish, but I believe, the restaurant's staff speak English:
http://www.podbaranem.com/menu17.html

If you're going to eat outside during whole journey, the best solution would be to speak with the cooks (not with the waiters) directly or show the printed card as bezgluten wrote in the message above.
Eating in fastfoods, apart from french fries, I think you can also order kebab meat (very popular in most cities via avenues) of course with no bread, just meat and salads on the plate.

As a "packed lunch" for trips you can buy rise-bread SONKO (almost in every grocery store - even in the small ones) http://www.sonko.pl/...zglutenowe.html
You can choose lots sorts of this bread and the rice cakes with coating (strawberry, yoghurt, chocolate)

What else can I add... If you need any help during your time in Poland, don't hesitate to call me (I'll send you my cell number via contact information).

Good-luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: