5 replies to this topic

#1 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I self-diagnosed myself with gluten intolerance from results from my diet change and Enterolab's testing last fall. I've been gluten free for 6 months now.

My sister, 2 years younger than me, has always struggled with anemia. She has been on iron pills a couple of times, but her levels eventually level out. A month ago she gave blood and they tested her hemoglobin, she was well within normal range. Now they tested her again and the results are that she is extremely anemic.

I know one of the main symptoms of adult onset of celiac is anemia, but would it cause sudden anemia like this? Counts dropping quickly, within 4 weeks? I don't think she'll listen to me anyway, as my whole family is very understanding of my avoiding gluten, but have stated they would never do it themselves. I carry a celiac and a gluten sensitive gene, so doesn't that mean that my sister likely carries one of them as well?

Thanks in advance!
Janie
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Did she have a heavy period between measurements? If her iron stores are low, and she lost blood, she might have a difficult time replacing it.

Also, was it iron deficiency anemia? There are different kinds.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

She's on the pill, so she has really light, short periods. I'm not sure of the type of anemia...she just said her hemoglobin levels dropped dramatically.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yes, it can cause sudden anemia. Can't say that's the cause here, though.

richard

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

I carry a celiac and a gluten sensitive gene, so doesn't that mean that my sister likely carries one of them as well?

Thanks in advance!
Janie

At least one and likely both. All your first degree relatives need to be tested. But you can't force them to do it or to follow the diet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 gf_soph

gf_soph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

It's worth looking at. I have been gluten free over 18 months, before then my iron and B12 were shocking for over a year. I tried supplements and injections, but it just didn't need to stay in my system.

I was glutened twice in the first 6 months after going gluten free, and each time my iron and B12 levels crashed - B12 went from over 1100 to less than 200, iron dropped a lot. I had blood tests at least every 3-4 over that time, so I know that the drop was due to the gluten. I saw a haematologist and he coundn't give me an exaplanation why this happened, the gluten is the only explanation that I have.

Intestinal damage from celiac or gluten intolerance can stop you absorbing nutrients, but in my case it seemed to actually suck the nutrients out of my system. I don't know the explanation of how this happens, but I have had enough time to see the pattern very clearly.

In the last year my B12 levels have managed to remain ok with occasional injections, far less than I needed before. I have still needed iron injections, but my ferratin is starting to climb finally.

Make sure she is getting a full blood count, iron (total iron, TIBC, saturation and ferratin), B12 and folate all checked, as these 3 are all important in anemia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: