This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shocking Places You've Found Gluten!

GFLindsey

GFLindsey Explorer

I have been very, very careful to read the labels of all of my products (edible or not!) since being diagnosed in February. Earlier this week I was tackling my rarely-if-ever used hair products and found that my hairspray had wheat in it! It was John Freida's Frizz Ease. Also, I was at a bridal shower today and won a gift that included hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works. After browsing through the ingredients lists I saw that it contained wheat amino acids.

Please share any experience you had in finding gluten in an unexpected place. I think the information could help everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Rolaids soft chews. No gluten, but made on shared equipment. Knocked me out for a week :blink:

AlysounRI Contributor

I know this is a known one.

But I am a black licorice nut.

Black licorice has wheat in it!!!

Can anyone explain to me why???

I knew that before I went gluten-free but it never fails to blow my mind, you know!!

~Allison

Roda Rising Star

Off bug repellant. Was looking at all my cleaning products etc for hidden gluten and the rep told me that this had gluten in it. Weird.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I was watching an episode of Dirty Jobs and Mike Rowe was at a cask-making factory, and to caulk the lids they use a paste with wheat in it. Freaked me right out. Haven't had any wine since, as I don't feel like bothering to call the winemakers. Sticking to my potato vodka.....

AmyT Newbie

Delmonte Tomato Paste. Used a small spoonful to make Spanish Rice last night and my daughter read the label after dinner! Ugh, we all had the effects! I can't believe that one snuck by me. I am going to go through my kitchen again!!

buffettbride Enthusiast

I knew that before I went gluten-free but it never fails to blow my mind, you know!!

~Allison

Most licorice does--like Twizzlers and Red Vines and such. It is what makes it chewy and pliable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Black Sheep Apprentice

After browsing through the ingredients lists I saw that it contained wheat amino acids.

I found that my Nature's Organics (well, I think that was the name) lotions had wheat amino acids. I gave them to my daughter but now I want them back so I can throw them away, as she and I are both now 100% sure she has a major gluten problem. But she doesn't want to get rid of them. Should have stolen them when I was at her apt. the other day....I could have, you know....we'd just brought her home from the dentist's, where she'd had her wisdom teeth out and was a bit loopy....BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! :ph34r::rolleyes:

koolkat222 Newbie

~Allison

Same here! Wheat in licorice?! I, too, would like to know why.

Juliebove Rising Star

We were at the party store the other day. They had some mints with different colored wrappers. I picked up the light blue ones because they matched the color for my daughter's dance party. I then read the ingredients and they had wheat in them! Why?

Years ago, I bought some organic bath product for kids. Daughter had been using it and got a rash. Sure enough there was wheat!

sa1937 Community Regular

Amy - DelMonte Tomato Paste??? Is there wheat in it and/or what else?

Jeez, I never thought I'd have to read the labels of tomato paste! I have tomato paste and tomato sauce on my grocery list. I would think these would be "pure" plain tomato products.

Guess I'll need to get another pair of el-cheapo reading glasses with a chain to put on when I go to the grocery store. ARGH!!!! ph34r.gif

WheatChef Apprentice

Many tomato sauces use "Natural Flavors".

Last night: White Zinfandel. Was somewhat cheap so not sure exactly what I was expecting, at least I get to be lethargic on a sunday.

Rissmeek Newbie

My hair dye. I use the same products that salons do and there it was wheat protein.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Delmonte Tomato Paste. Used a small spoonful to make Spanish Rice last night and my daughter read the label after dinner! Ugh, we all had the effects! I can't believe that one snuck by me. I am going to go through my kitchen again!!

Was it the Delmonte tomato paste or was it their meat flavored sauce? Here is a list of their gluten free products. Delmonte tomato paste should be safe. The meat flavored sauce isn't.

Open Original Shared Link

Del Monte Gluten-Free Products

All Del Monte® and S&W® Canned/Jarred Fruits

All Del Monte® Fruit Cup® Snacks (Metal and Plastic), including Fruit Chillers®

All Del Monte® and S&W® Canned Vegetables

All Del Monte®, Contadina®, and S&W® Tomatoes & Tomato Products (except

Del Monte® Spaghetti Sauce Flavored with Meat, and Contadina® Tomato Paste with Italian Herbs)Harvest Selections® Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans, Homestyle Chili with Beans.

College Inn® Garden Vegetable Broth and Organic Beef Broth, Beef Sirloin Bold Stock, White Wine & Herb Culinary Broth.

kenlove Rising Star

Buttermilk in Hawaii has wheat in it. So do the walnuts in McDonalds salads.

Seems to be unless you grow it or catch it yourself you won't know whats in it!

GFLindsey Explorer

Well I have a new one. I got a Sarris chocolate egg for Easter (they are a local chocolate company). I wouldn't have chanced it anyway, because I know they have one factory and are known for chocolate-covered pretzels. Delicious but dangerous little things! Anyway, the egg was fine besides the risk of cross contamination. However, there was a tiny pink and white flower painted on the top and sure enough, it was made with wheat paste!

Black Sheep Apprentice

Guess I'll need to get another pair of el-cheapo reading glasses with a chain to put on when I go to the grocery store. ARGH!!!! ph34r.gif

That's a good idea. I've been using a small magnifying glass that I have in my purse. :rolleyes:

I can't tell you all how many times, in the under-six-weeks time I've been g.f., I have been in a store somewhere, picked up something that I was sure would be g.f., with great expectations--and read the word "wheat" on the label. :huh: Like the mango-flavored licorice I wanted to try. The chocolate truffles (on that one I exclaimed to the poor store employee, "Seriously? I used to make chocolate truffles, and the thought never even occurred to me to stick wheat in them! Who does that?"). The plain, grilled chicken breast. The french fries--I mean really! Even long before I went g.f., when I made my home made oven fries, I put "strange" things on them like--oh, sea salt. Maybe garlic salt. :blink:

It's a mad, mad, world.

newgfcali Rookie

Would you believe MENTOS? Yipes.

Just when you thought it was safe to freshen your breath... wham-o!

Mac55 Apprentice

Mentos??? Really?? Haven't eaten them in a long time but now that I think of it I remember they used to give me terrible gas and bloating.

newgfcali Rookie

Mentos??? Really?? Haven't eaten them in a long time but now that I think of it I remember they used to give me terrible gas and bloating.

I don't have one in front of me, but I read the ingredients on a roll of the regular mints and "wheat" was staring me in the face.

Here's a list of ingredients I found online for "Mint Mentos":

sugar, wheat glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil, rice starch, gum arabic, sucrose esters of fatty acides, gellan gum, natural flavors

kareng Grand Master

I got a pretty necklace from target & some "glasses holder thingies" (technical term). Cut the necklace & added the holders & at least my reading glasses are on a pretty chain. I get them out & wear them in the store.

afreeclimber74 Rookie

My favorite chocolate brand is Lindt and almost all their products have barley malt powder.

The other shocker was being told that there was wheat as an anti-caking agent in the pre-shredded cheese at a Mexican restaurant.

Mac55 Apprentice

I don't have one in front of me, but I read the ingredients on a roll of the regular mints and "wheat" was staring me in the face.

Here's a list of ingredients I found online for "Mint Mentos":

sugar, wheat glucose syrup, hydrogenated coconut oil, rice starch, gum arabic, sucrose esters of fatty acides, gellan gum, natural flavors

I totally believe you, I was just so surprised! I don't know why though, as we all know it's in almost EVERYTHING!

Funny, I was feeding our fish the other day and happened to look at the ingredients and there it was, wheat gluten. Now, why do fish need wheat?? I swear they just like to put it in everything. :P

psawyer Proficient

The other shocker was being told that there was wheat as an anti-caking agent in the pre-shredded cheese at a Mexican restaurant.

This is very likely a misunderstanding by the person who said this. This myth has been going around for as long as I have been gluten-free, but in that time nobody has ever found actual confirmation of a product where wheat is used. Wheat is used in baking because it sticks together. It would make a poor anti-caking agent. If an anti-caking agent is used at all, it would be cellulose powder (which is gluten-free). Most shredded cheeses are just that: shredded cheese and nothing else.

sa1937 Community Regular

I know exactly what "glasses holder thingies" are. lol Actually I do have those on my sunglasses after I dropped them years ago just before going on vacation.

Actually I think I'll go to Dollar Tree and get some reading glasses in an even stronger strength than I need. That's to read the tiny black ingredients list printed on a red background. What a way to discourage people from reading labels, huh? ph34r.gif They really don't want us to know all the crap they put in what should be a pretty simple product.

Archived