41 replies to this topic

#1 LisaGF

LisaGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant about 6 weeks ago and have been totally gluten free since.

Unfortunately, I have not noticed much difference.

I'm still bloated (though not as painfully), still unable to lose weight.

Its incredibly annoying and discouraging.

About 7 months ago, I cut out gluten for about a week on a whim and instantly felt better, lost weight, etc.
Not quite sure why its not working this time.

For those who felt better and lost weight when going gluten free, how long did it take?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 frustrated09

frustrated09

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

I have been gluten free officially for 6 months and have not lost any weight. watch what you're eating carb wise.... try more fruits and veggies and protein. bloating might be from something you're still eating.

marsha

#3 Reba32

Reba32

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

you may have other food intolerances that are causing the bloating and discomfort. Have you tried eliminating the other "usual suspects" like dairy, and soy, etc?

Are you sure you're completely gluten free? Are you reading ingredients and allergy information on every food label? How about your shampoo, body lotion, cosmetics, pet foods etc?

#4 LisaGF

LisaGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I've been vegetarian for years, eating unprocessed foods, low carbs, etc. Did extensive food allergy testing and there are no other allergies. Soy and dairy don't seem to be a problem. But maybe...

I'm 100% positive about the food I'm eating but not about my cosmetics and things like that. My doctor didn't think my intolerance rose to that level. Perhaps it does.
Will definitely look into that.

#5 Dace

Dace

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:12 AM

Lisa,

I woudl up your water intake to 64 oz if it is lower than that. Up your veggie intake, drop your fruit intake to no more than one per day.Cut out all sugar and simple carbs. Stop the grains other than once or twice a week (small serving). You will see a weight drop.

If you want to post what you typically eat, I would be happy to look at it for you.

Dace

#6 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant about 6 weeks ago and have been totally gluten free since.

About 7 months ago, I cut out gluten for about a week on a whim and instantly felt better, lost weight, etc.

For those who felt better and lost weight when going gluten free, how long did it take?

Thanks.

As far as the bloating goes, are you still drinking milk? Some newly diagnosed people initally have trouble digesting dairy. I believe that the tips of the villi are the last to heal. For me I could re-introduce milk at about the 6 mo. mark.
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#7 Bev111

Bev111

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks.

#8 Bev111

Bev111

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

It takes time for your small intestine to heal. For me it took 5 1/2 months before I felt 99%.
I was also dairy intolerant and after 5 1/2 moinths I can eat dairy now. So Good luck , its a waiting game but worth it.

#9 AliSha097

AliSha097

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

I have been gluten free since the new year, new to being celiac since last year and from time to time I notice I still have some bloating and stomach irritation. In total, I have lost approx. 28 pounds (since August) from switching up my diet. I try to avoid eating too much gluten free pasta, bread, and other carb foods all the time. They tend to maked me gain a lot. My doctor suggested snacks like Larabars and THINK THIN PROTEIN bars...both have been decent. Hope this helps.

#10 JMS72186

JMS72186

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

Make sure your not intentionally eating gluten! I found a good number of spices, cream based soups, and even salad dressings (namely ranch and caesar)contain trace amounts of gluten- soy sauce as well!! Also these things take time to "heal" think of the bloating as inflammation and it WILL get better! I am having a hard time losing some weight- once I went gluten free and started getting the nutrients from food that I wasn't before my eating habits caught up with me! Good Luck!

#11 farmwife67

farmwife67

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Have you tried eating completely grain free? (no corn or rice) I would encourage you to visit www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and watch his videos about grains and how all grains have gluten in them and we shouldn't eat any of them, it isn't just gliadin that bothers most of us. It has really opened my eyes and my weight is coming off slowly too. (about a pound or two a week)
Good luck,
Lori
Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)

#12 LisaGF

LisaGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Been eating a lot of Larabars and other such gluten free bars but I realize I've been eating too many corn and rice-based products. Have to cut them out for sure.

Thanks again and I'll report back soon!

#13 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Next month I'll be gluten free for a year. I haven't lost any weight. My weight has gone down at times (5-8 lbs) but it always springs back up again. It's incredibly frustrating. Doc feels I have fructose malabsorption and/or bacterial overgrowth. I've been on a low fructose/fructan diet for 2 weeks and although I keep messing up (this is even harder than gluten and soy free) I have noticed a difference in how I feel. I'm less bloated and less puffy. I'm less hungry and I feel more satiated when I do eat.I think this might be the key to my issues. I go for testing next week. Perhaps this is what you're dealing with too. I know I increased my intake of fruits and veggies when I went gluten-free to be more healthy. Sadly I think it had the opposite effect.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#14 Rworthy

Rworthy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Have you tried eating completely grain free? (no corn or rice) I would encourage you to visit www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) and watch his videos about grains and how all grains have gluten in them and we shouldn't eat any of them, it isn't just gliadin that bothers most of us. It has really opened my eyes and my weight is coming off slowly too. (about a pound or two a week)
Good luck,
Lori

Don't you need carbohydrates in your diet? What do you recommend eating instead of corn and rice? Rice and oatmeal are the only carbs I have left!!!

#15 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

There's quinoa and buckwheat.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: