Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Chopped

6 posts in this topic

Last week's episode of "Chopped" had the gluten free chef and consultant Sunshine Best as a contestant. Although she was "chopped" in the first round it was still good exposure for Celiac. She even used tapioca flour!

Ads by Google:

Is that like some kind of cooking game show? We refuse to pay the outlandish price for cable around here, so we don't watch t.v. :huh:

We had a program here (I might have posted about this before, if so, sorry) called New Zealand's best Home Cook, and the winning contestant throughout the series baked mostly gluten free, and won the final with two gluten free cakes, a pear upside down cake, and a chocolate cake. Yeah for gluten free!

I'll be honest - while I was thrilled to see someone with celiac on the show, by the middle of the first round I was so annoyed I wanted to toss the remote at the tv!

Seriously? Decide to dredge your item with wheat flour to prove you "know your flavors" - thereby showing you CAN'T TASTE WHAT YOU ARE MAKING.... kinda a cardinal sin in the cooking world. (FIL is a professional chef, I've done my share of catering...) WHY? WHY? She was so gung-ho to show the world that gluten free cooking is tasty... and she couldn't even make the main appetizer gluten free. What's the point than? Why even MENTION the whole celiac issue if you aren't going to highlight it in your cooking?

Sorry. Sorry. Had a bit of a rant during the show, apparently I didn't get it all out of my system! lol.

(If you think the above is bad, you should have heard me pitching a fit when the Top Chef Master's guys had to deal with a gluten free, soy free, dairy free vegetarian meal. I hope I never run into that twit Michael Curiello who spent his time whining about how much he hated having to deal with the challenge... I may not be able to resist smacking him upside the head!)

I'll be honest - while I was thrilled to see someone with celiac on the show, by the middle of the first round I was so annoyed I wanted to toss the remote at the tv!

Seriously? Decide to dredge your item with wheat flour to prove you "know your flavors" - thereby showing you CAN'T TASTE WHAT YOU ARE MAKING.... kinda a cardinal sin in the cooking world. (FIL is a professional chef, I've done my share of catering...) WHY? WHY? She was so gung-ho to show the world that gluten free cooking is tasty... and she couldn't even make the main appetizer gluten free. What's the point than? Why even MENTION the whole celiac issue if you aren't going to highlight it in your cooking?

Sorry. Sorry. Had a bit of a rant during the show, apparently I didn't get it all out of my system! lol.

(If you think the above is bad, you should have heard me pitching a fit when the Top Chef Master's guys had to deal with a gluten free, soy free, dairy free vegetarian meal. I hope I never run into that twit Michael Curiello who spent his time whining about how much he hated having to deal with the challenge... I may not be able to resist smacking him upside the head!)

I had posted this earlier and did it right after the show aired. It didn't get any responces-therefore it was off the board!

Magpie, I was ranting too! REGULAR FLOUR-what was that?! Two of her opponents used gluten-free items. One dregged in corn flour, the other sauted. Okay, the corn flour wasn't certified gluten-free but, she still could have sauted! My 13 yr. old non-gluten-free son was also incredulous.

I also thought Art Smith gave up on the other TC Master's challenge with his use of store-bought rice milk ice cream for dessert. Micheal Chierello wasn't the only one complaining!

Yeah, Art seems like a nice enough guy... but I was left wondering just how did Zoey D (the actress they catered for) felt after SEEING how he was yelping about he KNEW it was going to be something crappy like that to deal with. Somehow, I doubt she will ever darken his door after watching the tape.

Frankly, the only chef there I'd happily go to the restaurant was Rick Bayless who just seemed to be just as happy to cook for her as anyone else on the planet.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one rolling my eyes and kvetching at the screen. (I think I scared my cats that night!)