5 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Last week's episode of "Chopped" had the gluten free chef and consultant Sunshine Best as a contestant. Although she was "chopped" in the first round it was still good exposure for Celiac. She even used tapioca flour!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Is that like some kind of cooking game show? We refuse to pay the outlandish price for cable around here, so we don't watch t.v. :huh:

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

We had a program here (I might have posted about this before, if so, sorry) called New Zealand's best Home Cook, and the winning contestant throughout the series baked mostly gluten free, and won the final with two gluten free cakes, a pear upside down cake, and a chocolate cake. Yeah for gluten free!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

I'll be honest - while I was thrilled to see someone with celiac on the show, by the middle of the first round I was so annoyed I wanted to toss the remote at the tv!

Seriously? Decide to dredge your item with wheat flour to prove you "know your flavors" - thereby showing you CAN'T TASTE WHAT YOU ARE MAKING.... kinda a cardinal sin in the cooking world. (FIL is a professional chef, I've done my share of catering...) WHY? WHY? She was so gung-ho to show the world that gluten free cooking is tasty... and she couldn't even make the main appetizer gluten free. What's the point than? Why even MENTION the whole celiac issue if you aren't going to highlight it in your cooking?

Sorry. Sorry. Had a bit of a rant during the show, apparently I didn't get it all out of my system! lol.

(If you think the above is bad, you should have heard me pitching a fit when the Top Chef Master's guys had to deal with a gluten free, soy free, dairy free vegetarian meal. I hope I never run into that twit Michael Curiello who spent his time whining about how much he hated having to deal with the challenge... I may not be able to resist smacking him upside the head!)
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#5 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

I'll be honest - while I was thrilled to see someone with celiac on the show, by the middle of the first round I was so annoyed I wanted to toss the remote at the tv!

Seriously? Decide to dredge your item with wheat flour to prove you "know your flavors" - thereby showing you CAN'T TASTE WHAT YOU ARE MAKING.... kinda a cardinal sin in the cooking world. (FIL is a professional chef, I've done my share of catering...) WHY? WHY? She was so gung-ho to show the world that gluten free cooking is tasty... and she couldn't even make the main appetizer gluten free. What's the point than? Why even MENTION the whole celiac issue if you aren't going to highlight it in your cooking?

Sorry. Sorry. Had a bit of a rant during the show, apparently I didn't get it all out of my system! lol.

(If you think the above is bad, you should have heard me pitching a fit when the Top Chef Master's guys had to deal with a gluten free, soy free, dairy free vegetarian meal. I hope I never run into that twit Michael Curiello who spent his time whining about how much he hated having to deal with the challenge... I may not be able to resist smacking him upside the head!)

I had posted this earlier and did it right after the show aired. It didn't get any responces-therefore it was off the board!

Magpie, I was ranting too! REGULAR FLOUR-what was that?! Two of her opponents used gluten-free items. One dregged in corn flour, the other sauted. Okay, the corn flour wasn't certified gluten-free but, she still could have sauted! My 13 yr. old non-gluten-free son was also incredulous.

I also thought Art Smith gave up on the other TC Master's challenge with his use of store-bought rice milk ice cream for dessert. Micheal Chierello wasn't the only one complaining!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#6 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, Art seems like a nice enough guy... but I was left wondering just how did Zoey D (the actress they catered for) felt after SEEING how he was yelping about he KNEW it was going to be something crappy like that to deal with. Somehow, I doubt she will ever darken his door after watching the tape.

Frankly, the only chef there I'd happily go to the restaurant was Rick Bayless who just seemed to be just as happy to cook for her as anyone else on the planet.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one rolling my eyes and kvetching at the screen. (I think I scared my cats that night!)
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: