71 replies to this topic

#16 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:43 PM

Every Enterolab report I've read about here anecdoctally says the person was gluten-sensitive. Maybe this is because the negative people never bother to post again. Just wondering...anyone know of a test that came back negative from them? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Hi YankeeDB,

Anyone who tests negative would not bother to post at a Celiac message board. There are some people here(or at least on the old board) that have relatives who have tested negative. Obviously they are going to have a high number of positives since the people paying for testing are generally very symptomatic, and will have a higher rate of positives that would the general population.

God bless,
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#18 bikerblue

bikerblue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

Hi. I had the enterolab testing done last July. I have been doing wonderful on the diet and have improved with my pain and nausea but still have one problem. I cannot lay on my left side or put pressure on my left side of the stomach as I get instant flareup of pain. The pain is right underneath my left rib cage and radiates right around to the back and at times is very intense and have to sleep with a heating pad to get comfortable and of course not put any type of pressure on that side whatsoever. It hasn't improved any.

I wonder if I have that much damage to my intestines or what and it is very scary to me. Can anyone offer some advice??

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 25 Units (Normal Range <10 Units*)

Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 28 Units (Normal Range <10
Units)

Stool Test for Small Intestinal Malabsorption
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 651 Units (Normal Range < 300
Units)

Thanks!!!

#19 gf4life

gf4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:04 PM

Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 651 Units (Normal Range < 300 Units)

Bikerblue,

That is a pretty high score for malabsorbtion (mine was only 54 and I had a lot of pain!), so yes, it could be just a lot of damage that will take time to heal. But it could also be something else.

Have you been tested for any type of colitis (inflammation of the colon)? That can also occur in celiacs and can cause a lot of pain and discomfort, as well as chronic diarrhea in some people. You would need a colonoscopy with biopsies to rule it out, but it might be a good idea.

God bless,
Mariann

#20 bikerblue

bikerblue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:18 PM

Thank you Mariann. I guess I should have mentioned that I have had a colonoscopy along with a CT scan and ultrasound of that area and nothing has come up. Which is fortunate but yet is troubling. It is rather frustrating because I know I am eating gluten free but yet I get these flareups like I am having now that are just miserable and sometimes quite intense and I need to take a pain pill to help me. When I do eat gluten that area becomes flared up also.

I guess I'm not sure if I just chalk it up to gluten or if I should pursue it further.
Just confused...

Tami

#21 gf4life

gf4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:32 PM

Hi Tami,

Are you still eating dairy foods?? I know that I have severe inflammation in my intestines due to dairy and I get a lot of pain. Infact when I went back on gluten for a biopsy for two months I stayed dairy free and experienced much less stomach pain.

You could try cutting out dairy for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. It certainly does for me. I also had the milk sensitivity test done on me and my three kids at Enterolab. Two of us have low positiveantibodies, my oldest boy has high positive antibodies to milk and my daughter is borderline. I now keep all of us as dairy free as is physically possible and I know that I feel much better for it. Just something you might try.

And I am very glad to know you don't have colitis. :) All my tests were negative, too, but it sure is frustrating when you have symptoms that won't go away!! It quite possibly is another food intolerance.

God bless,
Mariann

#22 bikerblue

bikerblue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:36 AM

Hi Mariann,

Yes I do some dairy but not a lot. I did have dairy cut out completely for a while but it didn't seem to make a difference for that. It could very well be an intolerance of some sort... I really dont know. It just seems strange though that pressure of any type sets the pain off though doesn't it??? That is what I really can't understand.

Tami

#23 Guest_Haypaula_*

Guest_Haypaula_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2004 - 01:50 PM

Advice please....

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 33 Units (Normal Range<10 Units)
Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 592 Units (Normal Range<300 Units)
Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody 13 Units (Normal Range<10 Units)
Molecular Analysis: HLA-DQB1*0201, 0602
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

thank you, Paula

#24 Tia099

Tia099

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:41 PM

I just recieved my results from Enterolab

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 102 units (Normal Range <10)

Just wondering what such a high number really reflects in terms of severity?
I do have multiple autoimmune problems as does most of my family. My daughter was also tested from Quest laboratory with some elevated IGG at 20.7. Now the gastrointerologist is going to get blood tests from Prometheus (sp?) lab. Hopefully we will find some answeres for her as well.

Thanks for any comments!

Tia
Gluten Free 2 weeks.

#25 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:16 PM

I have a couple of questions for those of you who have used the enterolab.

--How long did it take for you to get your results? It has only been two weeks for me but I am getting anxious to get the results.

--Also did your insurance cover any of it? I am just wondering if anyone has had luck with the insurance. We have a high deductable so even if it could go toward that I would be thankful.

Thanks for your help,
Kayla
gluten-free since 2004!

#26 PETES

PETES

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:02 PM

I tested positive at enterolab. I just saw Dr. Green in NYC to get his opinion. He took blood but did tell me that he feels enterolab is quzckery. Not sure what to believe. I have tested negative for sprue through conventional testing in the past. I will get the results in about a week. I tend to agree with Dr. Green as enterolab doesn't make much sense to me . I see everyone I know eat gluten all day with no problem but according to Dr. Fines' testing over 40 percent of the world can't tolerate gluten. This obviously isnt the case. Any opinions?

#27 Guest_Haypaula_*

Guest_Haypaula_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:55 PM

Hi, I personally think that the world has HUGE health issues....obesity, diabetes, cancer, depression, ADHD, impotence,allergies just to name a few.....is everyone eating gluten with no problems...you may want to rethink that statement! ;) Paula

#28 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 05:50 AM

I don't think everyone is eating gluten with no problems. I think it is misdiagnosed, and they are just being treated for the wrong things. I have a friend being treated for respiratory allergies, bipolar disorder, and overweight. He has a multitude of other problems, all of which I see listed on the boards as symptoms of gluten intolerance. His mother (he is a teen) refuses to believe that food can cause anything like what he has. I think more people have a gluten problem than doctors are identifying.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#29 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am so confused here are my results.

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Antigliadin IgA 29 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 15 Units (Normal Range
<10 Units)

Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 554 Units (Normal Range < 300
Units)

Stool Test for Milk Sensitivity
Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody 20 Units (Normal Range <10
Units)

Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity
Molecular analysis: HLA-DQB1*0501, 0502

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype, 5,5)

Interpretation: Analysis of this stool sample indicates you have
dietary
gluten sensitivity, resulting in an associated autoimmune reaction to
the
human enzyme tissue transglutaminase and an increased amount of dietary
fat
in the stool likely due to small intestinal malabsorption/damage. You
also
have antibodies to the main cow's milk protein, casein, and hence, you
are
immunologically sensitive to these foods.

Although you do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue
(HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have a copy of
a
gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (HLA-DQ1 involving the
DQB1*0501).

---I am sorry this is so long and I have tried to read others results but I am so confused. I know I have gluten sensitve but not sure about the gene thing and the milk sensitive. I don't know what casein is. I am only just getting used to gluten free so now I don't know what to eat. I don't know if I have celiac or just gluten sensitive.
Thank you!!
gluten-free since 2004!

#30 Tasha2004

Tasha2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

Dr. Fine suggests that I probably have at least Gluten Sensitivity at this point due to a postive Ig A test. That is the only thing that has been postive, the Ttg and others were not.
I'm wondering if there is any info on whether this turns into Celiac, or is there a sub-category for this out in the medical world?
Given my diabetes, Thyroid disease and family member with Celiac, I know it is likely to go that way.
I would doubt there would be anything showing on biopsy, but I am starting to get a lot of gas and tummy rumbling, so anything could be possible.
Anyway, what do people do who are in the in-between stage? Does it ever not go into full blown Celiac?
Any info would be great.
Type I Diabetic with IgA positive only, Mom has celiac disease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: