29 replies to this topic

#1 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

Alright gang -- I got glutened. At a sushi restaurant, even using my own soy sauce...but it must have been prepped by someone who had gluten on their hands or on their workspace. Only thing I can figure out.

Anyway, my symptoms involve potty issues and some of the nastiest gas I've ever experienced. It's embarrassing, and unfortunately, I work with people. It takes about three weeks for me to get past it, and in the meantime, EVERYTHING sets off my poor system. Any suggestions? Herbs, OTC, corks?! This is so frustrating, and I just need to find a way to work through it while still being able to do my job.

Any ideas at all are appreciated!
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Alright gang -- I got glutened. At a sushi restaurant, even using my own soy sauce...but it must have been prepped by someone who had gluten on their hands or on their workspace. Only thing I can figure out.

Anyway, my symptoms involve potty issues and some of the nastiest gas I've ever experienced. It's embarrassing, and unfortunately, I work with people. It takes about three weeks for me to get past it, and in the meantime, EVERYTHING sets off my poor system. Any suggestions? Herbs, OTC, corks?! This is so frustrating, and I just need to find a way to work through it while still being able to do my job.

Any ideas at all are appreciated!

Oh girl I can relate!
My best defense is to eat salads regularly to get the whole system flowing 'quickly'.
Once it's out of there, I return to regulation.
I also drink more water to keep the 'tubes' lubricated and diluted.

I feel for ya.
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#3 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

I also drink more water to keep the 'tubes' lubricated and diluted.
I feel for ya.

Water always makes this kind of thing worse for me.
When this happens to me, I just don't eat or drink anything.
I'm not advocating it because it's not the optimal solution.

I do sometimes take a few charcoal tablets.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
It's awful for you!!
And I hope you get back to normal very soon!!

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#4 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

Water always makes this kind of thing worse for me.
When this happens to me, I just don't eat or drink anything.
I'm not advocating it because it's not the optimal solution.

I do sometimes take a few charcoal tablets.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
It's awful for you!!
And I hope you get back to normal very soon!!

~Allison

Actually, I totally relate. I was a starvation girl growing up (not healthy at all) and I found myself today...dreading eating. And you are talking to someone who now loves food! But I'm also training for a half marathon, so not eating isn't an option -- not that I'd advocate it, but I do understand.

I did have a salad for lunch, and now I am even stinkier! Thank God I'm alone in the office today. I'm miserable. But thank you for your empathy! :)

#5 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

I did have a salad for lunch, and now I am even stinkier! Thank God I'm alone in the office today. I'm miserable. But thank you for your empathy! :)

Then I recommend charcoal tablets!!
Perhaps some rice crackers too.
Or not.

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#6 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear about the gluten. :blink: I am very much looking forward to seeing the replies to this post because I can get plagued by gas too,and it's totally embarassing and work with people as well. ;) AND my turnaround is about 3 weeks before I can get better, and EVERYTHING sets off my system too. But for my part, although it does not always work 100%, I use Gas-X or other gluten free simethicone gels/pills/tablets. I think Phazyme is gluten free. I also just go back to very, very basic foods (if any) to ease the stress on my system. I use the alpha ENF meal supplement from Canada to just give things time to rest. I am usually pretty wiped out and miserable and not up for much else anyway. I have heard ginger does good things for the tummy, but I have a HUGE aversion to ginger from some pre-colonoscopy drink. I used to use Culturelle probiotics, and I used to think that they would start to help after a week. I haven't used them in a while, mainly because I hate having to wait a week. but waiting a week is better than nothing, so I am not sure how that logic works. :huh:

Best best best of luck, and let us know what works!!
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#7 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

oh, and two more cents - I can never handle fresh fruits and veggies when things get out of balance. TOTALLY makes things worse. Fiber is not always a good thing for me, sounds like maybe for you too! After a bit of rest I ease in with very well-cooked veggies. Or some blended up fruit with my alpha ENF stuff.
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#8 The Glutenator

The Glutenator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Just a note about the sushi. They put rice vinegar in the sticky rice, and a lot of rice vinegars have gluten in them. Whenever I go for sushi, I ask that a fresh batch of rice be made without rice vinegar added to ensure it is safe. Just a suggestion so you can still enjoy sushi in the future!
Fighting celiac one gluten-free bite at a time

#9 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Just a note about the sushi. They put rice vinegar in the sticky rice, and a lot of rice vinegars have gluten in them. Whenever I go for sushi, I ask that a fresh batch of rice be made without rice vinegar added to ensure it is safe. Just a suggestion so you can still enjoy sushi in the future!

Not to sound rude, but how do you do that? Our server could barely understand what we ordered, much less converse with us. I'm not being mean -- he just didn't do well with English. So how are you able to get that across?

#10 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Sometimes the "wasabi" mixture at a sushi restaurant is rehydrated with a part water/part soy sauce solution.
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#11 The Glutenator

The Glutenator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Not to sound rude, but how do you do that? Our server could barely understand what we ordered, much less converse with us. I'm not being mean -- he just didn't do well with English. So how are you able to get that across?

Yeah, that is the hard part. And, without being stereotypical, it is usually tricky to get your message across in a place where the workers are non-english speakers. I ask for the person who speaks the best English, and as plainly as I can say I want "just rice, plain rice" in my rolls. You can try saying not vinegar too, and they may understand. Also try speaking to the chef to say "plain rice" because they are the ones who are mixing the rice vinegar in and may be more likely to know what you are talking about. Just be as simple as possible with your language is all I can suggest!
Fighting celiac one gluten-free bite at a time

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

You could try some milk of magnesia to get things moving real good and get all the nastyiness out quick. And also take some DPP-IV for whatever help it can give. Definitely avoid any sugar for a while and take a pro-biotic for a few days.

I am experimenting with not drinking much water right around meals. I figure if I have low stomach acid drinking too much water after a meal could dilute it and make it hard for the tummy to digest the food. But only for a few hours after eating as you don't want to get dehydrated. Better digestion could help decrease unfriendly bacteria too. So a digestive enzyme pill might help.

And clothes pins on the nose for all your co-workers might help as well. Just kidding! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

It's ok, i began my college career as an art student, I'll make custom nosepins with little people on them. You can hand them out with a little card that says explains Celiac and being Gluten-free (and what happens if you DO get glutenated).

:P
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#14 digmom1014

digmom1014

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

It's ok, i began my college career as an art student, I'll make custom nosepins with little people on them. You can hand them out with a little card that says explains Celiac and being Gluten-free (and what happens if you DO get glutenated).

:P

LOL!!!

Do not have any sugar-it makes more gas for me. I also have found basic rice and noodles best-you may gain weight but, you won't stink!!
Sarah

"What comes around, goes around"

#15 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

I signed out of work early today because of this very problem - lol! Now that I'm home (I live alone, thank goodness) I can relax. I don't know what got me going with gas today, and I had the same problem the night-before-last. Absolutely no chance I had gluten, but who knows if I am perhaps reacting to something else . . .

I read that drinking a small amount of water that has a few drops of peppermint oil will make gas smell, well, like peppermint. I only tried this once, but it made me so nauseous that I actually decided I'd rather put up with the gas. Google this, and see what you find out about this peppermint oil trick. Perhaps nausea won't be a problem for you!
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: