Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Smarties Candy On The "safe" List?

7 posts in this topic

My daughter has just been diagnosed with Celiac disease. She loves Smarties - I have found 2 conflicting sources - 1 site indicates that Smarties are gluten free and another indicates it is not. I was curious if someone could help me?

Ads by Google:

My daughter has just been diagnosed with Celiac disease. She loves Smarties - I have found 2 conflicting sources - 1 site indicates that Smarties are gluten free and another indicates it is not. I was curious if someone could help me?

In Canada I belive they contain gluten, we usually go with M&Ms. Check the ingredients and look for wheat, rye, barley, or malt.

This is from thier website www.smarties.com

YES! Smarties

I can't say anything about the gluten status of Smarties, but I do want to point something out: Smarties in the US and Smarties in Canada are vastly different things. I hate Smarties in the US, though when I was a kid, family would bring back Canadian Smarties for me.

What we call Smarties in the US are gluten-free . . . and have heard Canadian smarties (which as said above are not even similiar) are not gluten-free.

smarties in Canada are candy-coated chocolate like M&Ms and contain WHEAT.

smarties in Canada are candy-coated chocolate like M&Ms and contain WHEAT.

I understand the need for comparison for American friends, but do we really need to insult Smarties like that? ;)

Sadly, they were one of the first treats I checked. I will miss my Smarties. And my Mars Bars.