Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How To Handle Playdough In The Classroom?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#16 concernedmamma

concernedmamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

Sorry it took me so long to get back here- completely forgot until I was making playdough yesterday for the kindergarten. Here is my recipe- I find it works great. The teacher says she prefers it to the 'traditional' dough.

Mix dry ingredients:
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp cream of tarter

Add 1 cup of water, and 1 T oil, food colouring if desired. Mix well.

Heat a pot with 1 T oil over medium heat (don't get it too hot). Give the wet ingredients a stir and pour into the pot. Stir with a spatula, carefully scraping the bottom of the pot. Should gradually get thicker. After about 3 minutes you should have a lovely bowl of playdough!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I have never made 'cooked' playdough before, so this was new to me. A few things that I find make it a better playdough- allow the wet ingredients to sit for a minute or two before cooking. Stir just before adding to the pan. If the pan is too hot, it gets really rubbery.

I do find this playdough dries out faster than others. I have added more oil if it is sticky- not sure why sometimes it needs more than others.

Let me know how it works for you. This recipe doubles very well. I send 4 batches to school every 4-6 weeks.
Kim
Son1-lifelong diarrhea and generally unwell. Diagnosed March 2010 with positive blood work end endoscopy-finally feeling better August 2011
Son2-Diagnosed August2011 Bloodwork only.
Me-Positive bloodwork October 2011, Endoscopy booked November 15th.
Daughter1-no symptoms, negative bloodwork twice
Daugher 2- no symptoms, no bloodwork yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Annaatje

Annaatje

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

That's the recipe I am using as well and it works great!!

My son is newly diagnosed and I am now providing the play dough for his classroom. Before this his teacher used to make a batch every month. It's not much work for me and I am sure that his teacher is so busy that she doesn't mind someone else making the playdough :)
DS1 (5) Celiac (positive blood test March '11, positive biopsy May '11)
DS2 (2) negative blood test!!
DS3 (2 months) figuring out what to do with gluten introduction once he is ready for solids

me (31) waiting for blood test results
DH (34) waiting for blood test results

#18 Jenna&2kids

Jenna&2kids

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

i cant believe play dough cant be played with! this is really serious! my son has gluten sensitivity but is getting biopsy this week.... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE IT SHOWS SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN SENSITIVITY FOR BOTH ADULT AND CHILDREN? thank you

#19 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:28 PM

i cant believe play dough cant be played with! this is really serious! my son has gluten sensitivity but is getting biopsy this week.... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE IT SHOWS SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN SENSITIVITY FOR BOTH ADULT AND CHILDREN? thank you

On the girl Scout thread, I posted the ingredients straight from the Hasbro's website. It clearly stated that it is made with flour. If he were to get some in his mouth, he would be eating wheat flour, which contains gluten. It is very hard to keep it out of his mouth. Watch him play. He probably puts his fingers in his mouth, or rubs his lips or gets it under his nails & can't wash it out. Then it falls out on his food he is eating with his fingers.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

This is from Hasbro's website

Play-Doh is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil or any milk byproducts. Play-Doh does not contain latex. Play-Doh is non-toxic. However,children or adults who are allergic to wheat gluten or specific food dyes may have an allergic reaction to this product.

Furthermore, if a dog ingests Play-Doh, due to its salt content, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

Because Play-Doh is non-toxic, non-flammable and non-reactive, no Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is required for Play-Doh.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

#21 cait

cait

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

I'm just figuring out that I have gluten intolerance or celiac (tests negative, but have family history of celiac and have one of the genes). As a teacher of 4s and 5s, how much do I need to worry about playdough? Obviously I need to avoid MAKING the gluten kind so that I'm not inhaling the flour. But is it OK for me to have it in the classroom and work with it to demonstrate different activities or do I need to make it all gluten free? I kind of feel like there are a million ways I can encounter cross contamination since they eat in the classroom as well, so cleaning the tables regularly and washing my hands is about the best I can do. Do I need to be more concerned?
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#22 Annaatje

Annaatje

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 12:29 PM

I don't think I would worry about it if I were in your shoes, as long as do all the hand washing and table cleaning you mentioned.

I do worry about my 5 year old handling gluten-play dough, because he might stick his fingers in his mouth or not wash his hands very well.
DS1 (5) Celiac (positive blood test March '11, positive biopsy May '11)
DS2 (2) negative blood test!!
DS3 (2 months) figuring out what to do with gluten introduction once he is ready for solids

me (31) waiting for blood test results
DH (34) waiting for blood test results

#23 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

I'm just figuring out that I have gluten intolerance or celiac (tests negative, but have family history of celiac and have one of the genes). As a teacher of 4s and 5s, how much do I need to worry about playdough?

I work in a preschool as well (2 and 3 year olds) . . . can't tell you how many times a day I say "don't put that in your mouth".

So, I will only tell you this once . . . Don't put the playdoh in your mouth!! :P :lol:

As an adult, you have the advantage of knowing AND remembering to wash your hands before you eat. With gluten foods (in addition to the playdoh) in your classroom, you will just have to do your best to keep surfaces clean, but the real prevention will be to always wash up before eating.

Also just an FYI to the general public . . . Crayola's modeling clay and air-dry clay contain no gluten ingredients (they do share a production line which is cleaned with a gluten containing dough, though). Depending on the project, the modeling clay is cheaper than the model magic. It's what I provided for my daughter's classroom when they had a playdoh project.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

I work in a preschool as well (2 and 3 year olds) . . . can't tell you how many times a day I say "don't put that in your mouth".

So, I will only tell you this once . . . Don't put the playdoh in your mouth!! :P :lol:

As an adult, you have the advantage of knowing AND remembering to wash your hands before you eat. With gluten foods (in addition to the playdoh) in your classroom, you will just have to do your best to keep surfaces clean, but the real prevention will be to always wash up before eating.

Also just an FYI to the general public . . . Crayola's modeling clay and air-dry clay contain no gluten ingredients (they do share a production line which is cleaned with a gluten containing dough, though). Depending on the project, the modeling clay is cheaper than the model magic. It's what I provided for my daughter's classroom when they had a playdoh project.

Maybe Cait can get some just for her. Tell the kids she is allergic to regular PLay dough.

LTES

#25 cait

cait

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

I still have to say this to 4s and 5s (and at this time of year, even some 6s moving toward first grade) on a surprisingly regular basis. Less frequent, and more directed at specific kids, but still...

I will do my best not to eat the playdough. :P And I'll just use the regular stuff unless I seem to have issues in it. I figured it was a bigger issue for kids than for me, but it's nice to have the reassurance. Still figuring a lot of this stuff out. I keep finding new ways to make myself feel lousy, so I'm trying to be proactive without being paranoid.
Dad has Celiac
Neg Celiac tests, positive gene test
Life vastly improved off gluten
Dunno what that makes me, but I'm not going back.
Now corn, soy, and dairy free

#26 wheatfreemom

wheatfreemom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

I have always sent Moon Sand in with my son with celiac disease. That way I knew he was able to be included in the activities with everyone else. I did, however, speak with my sons gastroenterologist yesterday who told me that I shouldn't worry about skin contact with wheat/gluten containing products. I'm bothered by that because we have spent the last 6 years obsessivly making sure that his personal care items and school craft items are not wheat/gluten based. The medical comminity frustrates us with this disease sometimes.

#27 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

Gluten isn't absorbed through the skin. That would be why the GI said that. That said, I know my DS is a finger sucker and ALWAYS had his fingers in his mouth. THAT is where the issue would be, actual ingestion from things like finger/thumb sucking, girls with long hair sucking on it. Hygiene to a 6 yo isn't the same as with us! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: