19 replies to this topic

#1 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:39 AM

I'm curious about McDonald's McFrappes and if they're gluten free. Per their website, they seem as if they are but I was curious if anyone had experience with it. I'm aware of the negatives about McDonald's and the many forums on this site bashing their food...I'm not trying to eat there, just trying to get one of those delicious looking Frappes.

Anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:44 AM

I had one and was sick for over a week. I now call them McCrappes. It really seemed like a gluten reaction. I'm sure it could've been something else but I won't chance it again!

#3 Heidi S.

Heidi S.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

I tried a chocolate milkshake from one of the McCafes. They made it like Mcfrappe with the whip cream and drizzle and I was sick in 20 mins and for 2 days. Not sure why, their milkshakes used to come straight from a machine but I believe they have changed them at the McCafe locations.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

http://nutrition.mcd...ngredients.html

McFrappes Gluten Free:

McCafe Frappes
Frappe Caramel (Small):
Caramel Coffee Frappe Base, Ice, Whipped Cream, Caramel Drizzle
Frappe Caramel (Medium):
Frappe Caramel (Large):
Frappe Mocha (Small):
Mocha Coffee Frappe Base, Ice, Whipped Cream, Chocolate Drizzle
Frappe Mocha (Medium):
Frappe Mocha (Large):
Caramel Coffee Frappe Base:
Water, cream, sugar, milk, high fructose corn syrup, coffee extract, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, potassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, carrageenan, carob bean gum.
CONTAINS: MILK.
Caramel Drizzle:
Corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar), high fructose corn syrup, water, butter, sugar, salt, pectin, disodium phosphate, artificial flavor (vanillin, ethyl vanillin), caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative).
Chocolate Drizzle:
Corn syrup, water, hydrogenated coconut oil, high fructose corn syrup, glycerin, nonfat milk, cocoa powder, cocoa (processed with alkali), food starch-modified, disodium phosphate, potassium sorbate (preservative), xanthan gum, artificial flavor (vanillin), salt, soy lecithin.
CONTAINS: MILK AND SOY LECITHIN.
Ice:
Ice
Mocha Coffee Frappe Base:
Water, cream, sugar, milk, high fructose corn syrup, coffee extract, natural (botanical source) and artificial flavors, cocoa (processed with alkali), mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, potassium phosphate, disodium phosphate, carrageenan, carob bean gum, colored with (red 40, yellow 5, blue 1).
Whipped Cream:
Cream, nonfat milk, corn syrup, sugar, mono-and diglycerides, natural (vegetable source) and artificial flavors, carrageenan, propellant: nitrous oxide.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:57 AM

Right....as I said, I saw that the ingredients listed it as being gluten free. I was curious about anyones reaction to them.

#6 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

Could it be that all that sweetness is causing some issues? Maybe you all are already sweet enough! ;)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Right....as I said, I saw that the ingredients listed it as being gluten free. I was curious about anyones reaction to them.

I thought that others would like to see McD's listing of gluten free options as well.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 Heidi S.

Heidi S.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Could it be that all that sweetness is causing some issues? Maybe you all are already sweet enough! ;)

I am pretty sweet! But I eat milkshakes other places, they do have a seasonal shamrock shake still available and it is not gluten free maybe it is just a contamination issue with the mixer/blender used. I never had to check before b/c the triple thick shakes came straight from the machine no mixer used. I will ask if I get desperate another time. Do they mix the McFrappes? and shakes/McFlurries on a machine?

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:34 PM

I never had a problem with the Frappes listed, but then again I've never been to a cafe location (what is that? never heard of it!), just the normal McDonald's.

Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#10 missceliac2010

missceliac2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hello all. I was out and about today, wanted a snack, googled the frappé and it took me here, to my friends at celiac.com. I read the thread and decided to go for it. Got a small Carmel no whipped cream. 15 mins later I started to feel terrible. My belly started to grow and I started to sweat?! However, 1 hour later I felt fine. I am thinking maybe it was the lactose? I am finding I am also lactose intolerant along with gluten, so my experience might not be a fair judgment of the McFrappe. Or perhaps a little of both gluten and lactose? I don't really know... I will also disclose that I have found I am VERY sensitive. But that's my honest experience.

Good luck!

I never had a problem with the Frappes listed, but then again I've never been to a cafe location (what is that? never heard of it!), just the normal McDonald's.

Stef

Heather C.
July, 2010: Diagnosed with Celiac Disease via elimination diet and strong Lactose Intolerance via blood work. My symptoms of glutening include 1. extreme abdominal distention, 2. severe abdominal pain, 3. gas, 4. mood swings/generally negative and unpleasant to be around!

#11 Coleslawcat

Coleslawcat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hello all. I was out and about today, wanted a snack, googled the frappé and it took me here, to my friends at celiac.com. I read the thread and decided to go for it. Got a small Carmel no whipped cream. 15 mins later I started to feel terrible. My belly started to grow and I started to sweat?! However, 1 hour later I felt fine. I am thinking maybe it was the lactose? I am finding I am also lactose intolerant along with gluten, so my experience might not be a fair judgment of the McFrappe. Or perhaps a little of both gluten and lactose? I don't really know... I will also disclose that I have found I am VERY sensitive. But that's my honest experience.

Good luck!

I had a caramel McFrappe and had no reaction.

#12 kkaysmiles

kkaysmiles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

I had a caramel McFrappe and had no reaction.

I had caramel and felt sick..Have never felt bad after the mocha..I do leave the choc sauce off..figure it helps the calories and was alittle unsure of it.

#13 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Somewhat off topic. I've been having a $1 hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and chopped peanuts about 2-3 times a week all summer long. Pretty good, and cheap.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#14 ilookthetype

ilookthetype

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

I've gotten sick from the fraps at McDs too. I think it's the modified food starch. I can't eat MFS without getting sick.
Gluten Intolerant 07/10, who knew that wheat didn't make everyone sick...

Run Mad as often as you choose but do not faint. (Fanny Price)

"Its a sacred time when two roommates nap together."

#15 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

I've gotten sick from the fraps at McDs too. I think it's the modified food starch. I can't eat MFS without getting sick.

MFS is most commonly tapioca. Perhaps you are sensitive to tapioca?
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: