This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Ideas For Toddler Snacks!

momtok&m

momtok&m Explorer

I know this topic has probably been posted numberous times, but hey, products are always changing :P DD is 15 months old and our snacks are becoming, um, routine-to say the least! We always have cheese, fruit, & Kix. She loves Plum organics Fiddlesticks but they're pricey! Toddler Mum Mums are good but she'll only eat them occasionally (I think we overdid it!). She's allergic to bananas, carrots & soy so that limits things even more! She only has 6 teeth so she can't have fruit leather yet.

Do any of you have any ideas where to buy gluten-free snacks in bulk so they aren't quite so expensive?

It's bad enough to keep things fun and interesting for my 4 year old but this is a real challenge!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

There is a company out there, that makes glutenfree finger food for toddlers. I can't remember their name to save my life at this point. It's a long tube about 8 inches tall and a fist around in diameter approximately. They are very yummy. Lukas loved those, when he was around 15 months. Then what I did was. I got out those cookie christmas cutters and cut shapes into cheese. He thought, it was something different everytime, even though, it was the same cheese... lol. I don't know of anything else right now. But if I do, I will definitely back to this post.

Stef

I know this topic has probably been posted numberous times, but hey, products are always changing :P DD is 15 months old and our snacks are becoming, um, routine-to say the least! We always have cheese, fruit, & Kix. She loves Plum organics Fiddlesticks but they're pricey! Toddler Mum Mums are good but she'll only eat them occasionally (I think we overdid it!). She's allergic to bananas, carrots & soy so that limits things even more! She only has 6 teeth so she can't have fruit leather yet.

Do any of you have any ideas where to buy gluten-free snacks in bulk so they aren't quite so expensive?

It's bad enough to keep things fun and interesting for my 4 year old but this is a real challenge!

missy'smom Collaborator

freeze dried fruit-there are many brands available, some more expensive than others, Gerber makes some, Costco sells boxes of invididual packets-Brother's All-Natural Crisps-also a Disney one-the only down side is that approxx 1/3 of the packets are strawberries and bananas(maybe you could keep these for yourself, I used to eat them) the others are asian pears and Fuji apples

you can take 100% fruit juice-no sugar and no artifical sweeteners and freeze in popsicle molds-mayny groceries and dollar staore sell them cheap

or take the same juice and Knox unflavored gelatin and make jello

pudding cups/instant pudding mixes are made with cornstarch, most, if not all are gluten-free, watch for cookies and cream or such flavors

my DS(12) loves baked custard for snack-I make a sweet potato(with leftover sweet potatoes) or pumpkin versions-just like making pumpkin pie without the crust-very easy, grease individual custard cups and pour the mixture in and bake-I do some math and reduce the recipe because I'm only baking for one child and I reduce the sugar, It's a healthy protein packed snack, haven't tried freezing them

kareng Grand Master

Can you do corn or rice Chex? My youngest wouldn't eat any mushy baby food. These are good because they break up easily in the mouth. Mix a few of the treats together Chex, Kix, a few M&Ms, raisens, etc.

momtok&m Explorer

She doesn't have any molars yet so she chokes on Chex unless they're in milk. She can't chew raisins yet either. Ugh! ;)

Can you do corn or rice Chex? My youngest wouldn't eat any mushy baby food. These are good because they break up easily in the mouth. Mix a few of the treats together Chex, Kix, a few M&Ms, raisens, etc.

momtok&m Explorer

I bought some freeze dried apples yesterday, I think she might eat them. Little custards sound delicious! I make rice pudding once in a while and both of my girls love it.

Mizzo Enthusiast

A few idea's:

How about pancakes, freeze and cut into strips.

Pudding or yogurt frozen in popsicle makers, my daughter loved this for years.

All the Envirokids cereals are safe, and have better nutritional value than other cereals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I guess I'm lucky because Angela had all of her teeth by age 1. She could and did eat pretty much everything.

One thing I started her out on was green beans straight from the can. Her favorite were the Del Monte, but she would eat any brand, any cut. She liked the wax beans too but they weren't quite as soft. They can be picked up with the fingers and can be mashed against the roof of the mouth if she can't chew them.

Cooked carrots and well cooked peas would work well too. Can you still get canned peas with diced carrots? Angela is allergic to peas so I only buy them occasionally for myself.

You could do oven or pan fried potatoes, cutting them in small sticks and cooking them until they are just lightly browned but still soft enough to mash in the mouth.

Vienna sausages cut lengthwise into several strips. Can you still get those toddler type similar ones in a jar?

Very ripe bananas. You could cut them lengthwise to prevent choking.

To eat with a spoon, applesauce, canned pears cut in tiny pieces, mashed beans, mashed potatoes, gluten-free pasta cooked really well and cut in tiny pieces, maybe mixed with a little butter or margarine or broth for flavor, rice cooked the same way, meat or fish minced fine.

• 2 weeks later...
momtok&m Explorer

She goes through a lot of green beans but I give them to her at mealtime. She hates the freeze dried apples, peas, fish and potatoes. So, I feel like everything she could physically eat falls into 3 categories: 1. it has gluten 2. she's allergic or 3. she hates it. So frustrating!

I did make a tasty snack for her and I thought you all might enjoy it too.

I made polenta with parmesan. Spread in on a cookie sheet to cool in the fridge. Cut in strips, brush w/ olive oil and salt and baked until slightly browned. The next time I might try sweet instead of savory though. I'm thinking about trying the same thing with mashed potatoes.

katerzz Newbie

We give our toddler rice cakes and he loves them!

Archived