This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trader Joes Rice Milk

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

Is TJ's Rice Milk 100% gluten free and safe? I switched over to it after drinking rice dream for a while and is the only rice beverage i consistently consume...just wanted to see if anyone has had an adverse reaction to this product

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Apart from your question, MORE rice, Jason? Why don't you try the hemp milk if you haven't already? I love it and it would get you away from so much rice :D

jasonD2 Experienced

Hemp is one of the many many many foods that i cant tolerate...i tried the milk and like the taste but either the hemp or something else in there irritates my system

weluvgators Explorer

Hi, Jason,

My family used to drink hemp milk until we tested it at home. And then tested it again and again because I could not believe the results - POSITIVE for gluten. After dropping the hemp milk from our diet, we further resolved some lingering health issues. I have tested two different brands of hemp milk, and they were both positive for gluten. I had one manufacturer confirm for me that their hemp farmers also farm barley.

The milk that we have settled on for now is the Pacific Natural Foods Hazelnut Original. It has passed multiple gluten home tests, and they were kind in answering my many, many questions that I asked of them. We are also trying to refine methods for making our own milks - drinking my homemade almond milk now that is awesome! It steamed up beautifully for my coffee this morning.

I have no personal experience with Trader Joe milks, but I am generally reluctant now with Trader Joe's sourcing for my super sensitive family. Testing our staple foods made a tremendous difference in the progress that my family was making. While it expedited our healing to have the information that we got, it also made us so much more acutely aware of the unrecognized risks that we had been taking. I am a little bit lucky because I have three young kids that also give me good gluten feedback on foods. And the tests really helped me to refine my knowledge of *knowing* what these low level gluten exposures looked like in my kids. It was only in hindsight after dropping the foods from my diet that *I* could understand how this low level contamination felt for *my* system. I had things resolve that I had NO idea were related to gluten, only to have them resurface when we would have a breech in our gluten avoidance protocols. The idea that you felt better in France (IIRC from another one of your posts) makes me wonder if you dropped some/much of your normal processed foods from your diet while you were there.

Hope it helps!

overnormal Newbie

Is TJ's Rice Milk 100% gluten free and safe? I switched over to it after drinking rice dream for a while and is the only rice beverage i consistently consume...just wanted to see if anyone has had an adverse reaction to this product

I just had some and was wondering the same thing! I had it with Rice Crispies about an hour ago and I've not had any adverse reactions. My reactions are mostly neurological--but so far, so good.

jasonD2 Experienced

Thanks for the info! I actually sent a shipment of stuff to my hotel in France for my trip so i was still eating some of the foods that I normally eat, but as I said there was some improvement.

So theres a chance TJ's rice milk may not be safe either? i drink it by the gallon every week...label says gluten-free and made in a facility that handles fish only

weluvgators Explorer

Thanks for the info! I actually sent a shipment of stuff to my hotel in France for my trip so i was still eating some of the foods that I normally eat, but as I said there was some improvement.

So theres a chance TJ's rice milk may not be safe either? i drink it by the gallon every week...label says gluten-free and made in a facility that handles fish only

What didn't get shipped to France? Those are the items that I would be giving another look and elimination/addition trial. We have been able to identify lingering contaminants from seeing improvements during our travels and figuring out which of our "normal" foods had been eliminated in the travels.

I have no idea about the TJ's rice milk. We have never tried it, nor do I know of anyone that has tested it. I just know that calling the manufacturers that we choose to use and discussing my gluten contamination concerns was so very enlightening, especially when I had products that were testing positive for gluten and giving my family symptoms. We are trying to do more of our own handling and processing that includes washing procedures for suspect items. It is ridiculous to some extent and yet strangely satisfying in so many ways. Making your own rice milk is pretty easy if you want to give that a try. What I realized in my quest to be handling and processing more of my own foods was how insanely difficult it can be to source truly gluten free raw ingredients.

It is not uncommon for gluten sensitive people to report greater sensitivity than today's current suggested legislation and testing technologies allow. We just keep trying to make baby steps in the right direction to be making the most healing choices that we can for our diet and nutrition. If you want more specific feedback about the list of foods that you had in your other list, I would be happy to share my thoughts based on our experience. But I also do not want to belabor a point that may not interest you. I am amazed at your recent stool test . . . we are SO far from that so far! I wish they would run the stool total IgA on those already - I think my mom may have needed to see that number. You didn't get a total stool IgA result by chance, did you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jasonD2 Experienced

My stool IgA was 42 back in september and is now 120 since going completely gluten free and also taking high does probiotics- i am not taking 200 bill a day so the # is probly even higher by now

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My stool IgA was 42 back in september and is now 120 since going completely gluten free and also taking high does probiotics- i am not taking 200 bill a day so the # is probly even higher by now

If your IGA is going up to that great of an extent you are getting a good dose of gluten somewhere. Could the probiotics or any of the other meds you have been on be a source of CC?

jackay Enthusiast

Hemp is one of the many many many foods that i cant tolerate...i tried the milk and like the taste but either the hemp or something else in there irritates my system

I don't know if food sensitivity blood tests are accurate, but I did test intolerant to hemp. I am not going to try it until I heal more.

jasonD2 Experienced

No actually IgA going down means you are getting gluten, many people w/ undiagnosed celiac are actually IgA deficient...Mine was way low now its in normal range

My stool antigliadin was 0 as well

"Immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency is 10 to 15 times more common in patients with celiac disease (celiac disease) than in healthy subjects"

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No actually IgA going down means you are getting gluten, many people w/ undiagnosed celiac are actually IgA deficient...Mine was way low now its in normal range

My stool antigliadin was 0 as well

"Immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency is 10 to 15 times more common in patients with celiac disease (celiac disease) than in healthy subjects"

Your total or serum IGA and the IGA are different tests. Your total IGA is usually a blood test. The stool IGA is a celiac screening test as far as I know unless you see the words 'total' in front of it. It was the test used, blood wise, before the TTG came into use. I wasn't aware that they could do a total IGA from stool screening hence the confusion.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If you are wondering about your rice milk, and you have some rice that you know is safe, (Lundberg is the commonly recommended one here for super sensitives) you can make your own rice milk quite easily. Even if you aren't that sure about your rice, you can wash it well before making your rice milk. I doubt that rice milk manufacturers do that. It's cheaper too. There are a number of recipes on line. I make mine with 1/3 c. grain flour (I use a grain mix), which I thicken first by heating 5 minutes in the microwave with stirring with a cup of water. I add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon honey and a pinch of salt to make up 4 cups of milk. Mix it with a blender and filter or strain.

Best of luck figuring out your problems.

• 5 months later...
salexander421 Enthusiast

Hi, Jason,

My family used to drink hemp milk until we tested it at home. And then tested it again and again because I could not believe the results - POSITIVE for gluten. After dropping the hemp milk from our diet, we further resolved some lingering health issues. I have tested two different brands of hemp milk, and they were both positive for gluten. I had one manufacturer confirm for me that their hemp farmers also farm barley.

The milk that we have settled on for now is the Pacific Natural Foods Hazelnut Original. It has passed multiple gluten home tests, and they were kind in answering my many, many questions that I asked of them. We are also trying to refine methods for making our own milks - drinking my homemade almond milk now that is awesome! It steamed up beautifully for my coffee this morning.

I have no personal experience with Trader Joe milks, but I am generally reluctant now with Trader Joe's sourcing for my super sensitive family. Testing our staple foods made a tremendous difference in the progress that my family was making. While it expedited our healing to have the information that we got, it also made us so much more acutely aware of the unrecognized risks that we had been taking. I am a little bit lucky because I have three young kids that also give me good gluten feedback on foods. And the tests really helped me to refine my knowledge of *knowing* what these low level gluten exposures looked like in my kids. It was only in hindsight after dropping the foods from my diet that *I* could understand how this low level contamination felt for *my* system. I had things resolve that I had NO idea were related to gluten, only to have them resurface when we would have a breech in our gluten avoidance protocols. The idea that you felt better in France (IIRC from another one of your posts) makes me wonder if you dropped some/much of your normal processed foods from your diet while you were there.

Hope it helps!

If you don't mind me asking, what brand of hemp milks did you test for gluten? And how did you test them?? My daughter has not been tested for celiac yet but is definitely gluten intolerant, she drinks the Living harvest hemp milk...it says it's gluten free but now I'm wondering about trace amounts. Thanks!

Archived