45 replies to this topic

#1 Lgood22573

Lgood22573

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Does anyone else suffer with joint pain from being glutoned? I don't know which of my symptoms is worse... The GI symptoms, or the pain in my joints. I go from feeling completely normal to being an arthritic crumpled up popping, hurting, barely able to function debilitated person. Not only do they hurt, but they must actually be swollen or something because they pop and make funny noises. It hurts so bad I can't lift a jug of milk. It seems to affect my knees, hips, and elbows the worst. I am a violinist and it is AGONY when this happens. I am wondering what is going on to make them not only hurt, but make noise, and loose function. Does anyone know about this, or have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mskedi

Mskedi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

I'm going to be making an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor about my knee pain. Last time I was there she messed around with my knee, didn't find anything special, and told me to work on the muscles around my knee. I have, and this knee pain is STILL both erratic and annoying. It follows no pattern -- sometimes it will hurt as I walk upstairs, sometimes as I walk across a flat surface, sometimes as I sit in a chair. It's truly bizarre. Sometimes it pops, sometimes it's just a throbbing pain, and sometimes it's debilitating. And last week I felt it in my left knee, which has never hurt before. I also have some wrist and thumb pain that seems to mimic arthritis, mostly on my right side, but sometimes on the left.

I've tried to match it up with accidental glutenings to see if that could be the cause, but I haven't had much luck there. (I did get glutened on Friday, and my knee does hurt a ton this weekend, but it also hurt Friday morning before said glutening). I kind of hope it's the gluten because then one thing could be the cause of all my woes and I can control it, but I really think my body is just broken a bit. We'll see.

#3 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Does anyone else suffer with joint pain from being glutoned? I don't know which of my symptoms is worse... The GI symptoms, or the pain in my joints. I go from feeling completely normal to being an arthritic crumpled up popping, hurting, barely able to function debilitated person. Not only do they hurt, but they must actually be swollen or something because they pop and make funny noises. It hurts so bad I can't lift a jug of milk. It seems to affect my knees, hips, and elbows the worst. I am a violinist and it is AGONY when this happens. I am wondering what is going on to make them not only hurt, but make noise, and loose function. Does anyone know about this, or have this problem?

Join pain, definitely a problem. Hands and feet are the worst (sometimes I even avoid walking), then hips and occasionally a shoulder. No popping and only very mild swelling, though.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

Lgood, Your not alone... I've suffered with shoulder, neck, arm, wrist, hand, knee, leg, foot, jaw and finger pain.... I've complained about finger pain for years... It felt like I had 10 thumbs instead of 2... I had a MRI of my shoulder and nothing stood out as a problem...My shoulder bothered me since I was in my 20s and that pain went down to 10% since going gluten-free.... I still have other issues that I'm dealing with, but life is much better then a year ago....
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 k2626

k2626

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

I get migratory deep stinging pains in my joints, but also loose joints. My right knee is shot, sometimes I can hardly walk. Also I get a lot of joint grinding. At its worst, my joints would crack hundreds of times per day (no joke), along with muscle twitching all over

Gluten tests are tomorrow....so we will see if this is the reason why

#6 Lgood22573

Lgood22573

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm so uncomfortable- ugh.

#7 Lgood22573

Lgood22573

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

Last night got so bad, I thought I was going to end up going to the hospital. Today I'm back to normal. I VOW to be more diligent in reading labels!

#8 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

I experience joint pain mainly in my hip, knee, and shoulder. It hurts a lot worse after getting glutened. I also experience loud popping joints. I sound about 90 years old. I suffered terrible TMJ and even have a stupid $200 mouthguard for it but I've noticed now that when I go long stretches without being contaminated it goes away!

#9 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Joint pain is very common with celiac--both due to inflammation from glutening as well as general poor absorption of minerals which often causes hypermobility making it easy to overstress joints. Vitamin D is important too. What has made a huge dif. for me is to take liquid silica drops as well as msm along with all my other minerals. Its good for building collagen as well as helping osteoblasts create bone. I can now do push ups etc. whereas before absolutely not--in addition my neck and back are way better too. This is amazing actually since I am now 60 and have had this problem all of my life... I just remembered seeing a panel I had done years ago that said I was low on silica...I finally decided to try taking some and yay what a difference!

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#10 eastvangal

eastvangal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thank you for the information on silica. Over the past year and a half I have been trying all sorts of mainly physical means to relieve chronic right inner "chicken wing" pain in my right upper back (worse when glutened)- stretching, exercising, yoga, ice packs, massage, rolling on an egg shaped rock (very effective), a new bed and mattress, and ibuprofen, as well as other supplements, but never heard of slicia. Thanks again. :)
-self-diagnosed Celiac Disease one-and-a-half-years ago.
-2004 Dx with Gitelman's Syndrome (dumping Mg, salt & potassium), no cause found, puzzling the kidney docs.
-(mis)diagnosed with IBS two times
-diagnosed with Depression & on antidepressants for nearly two decades, currently weaning off successfully.
-anorexic at 12-years-old (-to 65lbs). I did not eat without restriction until about age 30.
-did psychotherapy, CBT, naturopathy,colonics, macrobiotic diet, yeast-free diet, fasting, fiber, exercise, transcendental meditation...in search of relief for gastrointestinal and psychological symptoms.

#11 eastvangal

eastvangal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

I don't know if you'll see this, but could you tell me what is msm?
-self-diagnosed Celiac Disease one-and-a-half-years ago.
-2004 Dx with Gitelman's Syndrome (dumping Mg, salt & potassium), no cause found, puzzling the kidney docs.
-(mis)diagnosed with IBS two times
-diagnosed with Depression & on antidepressants for nearly two decades, currently weaning off successfully.
-anorexic at 12-years-old (-to 65lbs). I did not eat without restriction until about age 30.
-did psychotherapy, CBT, naturopathy,colonics, macrobiotic diet, yeast-free diet, fasting, fiber, exercise, transcendental meditation...in search of relief for gastrointestinal and psychological symptoms.

#12 ali11

ali11

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'm going to be making an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor about my knee pain. Last time I was there she messed around with my knee, didn't find anything special, and told me to work on the muscles around my knee. I have, and this knee pain is STILL both erratic and annoying. It follows no pattern -- sometimes it will hurt as I walk upstairs, sometimes as I walk across a flat surface, sometimes as I sit in a chair. It's truly bizarre. Sometimes it pops, sometimes it's just a throbbing pain, and sometimes it's debilitating. And last week I felt it in my left knee, which has never hurt before. I also have some wrist and thumb pain that seems to mimic arthritis, mostly on my right side, but sometimes on the left.

I've tried to match it up with accidental glutenings to see if that could be the cause, but I haven't had much luck there. (I did get glutened on Friday, and my knee does hurt a ton this weekend, but it also hurt Friday morning before said glutening). I kind of hope it's the gluten because then one thing could be the cause of all my woes and I can control it, but I really think my body is just broken a bit. We'll see.

Your knee pain sounds kind of like mine. My left knee has been hurting for over a year now, and my right for over 6 months. I have tried everything for it and nothing has touched the pain, and I've seen many different doctors who've all eventually said that I shouldn't still be in pain, but they don't know how to help me so they've let me go. But I also different types of pain, in different locations, and at seemingly random times. I'm really hoping that going gluten-free will be the answer. I've only been off gluten for only 6 days, and so far I really haven't seen any improvement. I'm hoping maybe the knees will just take longer to see improvement, even though my stomach symptoms are already doing better.

#13 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

I don't know if you'll see this, but could you tell me what is msm?

MSM stands for methylsulfonymethane. It's reported to act as an anti-inflammatory, but its effectiveness is still debated. MSM is often added to those glucosamine and chondroitin joint supplements. Wiki has a pretty good summary if you're looking for more (I had to check it again; been a while since I've looked into that).
Are you looking into taking those supplements?

I tried Osteo Bi-Flex for about 2 months (January through Feb of this year before I went gluten-free). It didn't seem too effective on my chondromalacia and other patella symptoms and I ended up having more stomach pain from it. It aggravated the damage a month-long high-dose regimen of ibuprofen did to my stomach. However, I know a lot of people who swear by it. For the record, most of them are over 50 and I'm only 20 so it could have been a different problem.

#14 Lgood22573

Lgood22573

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

My doctor pushes fish oil. I do think my joints feel better from it. Could be the placebo effect. I don't have pain unless I actually get into gluten. Normal every day is fine.

#15 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:00 AM

Wow, this all sounds a lot like fibromyalgia pain. Suppose it could all be related??? My general body aches and joint pain and brain fog are definitely less when I am vigilant about staying gluten free. I made a few more changes at home, including my own, labeled peanut butter jar and butter tub, which has helped.

Yolo, what brand of silica do you use? I'd like to try that. It would probably help with peeling, splitting fingernails too. There is an excellent discussion about nail problem on the board, too.
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: