10 replies to this topic

#1 Mom of a Celiac toddler

Mom of a Celiac toddler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

We recently had a festival in town that came with elephant ears. My 6 year old son has had these before, and can no longer. Anybody have any idea as to how I would go about making these gluten-free or something similiar?
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

We recently had a festival in town that came with elephant ears. My 6 year old son has had these before, and can no longer. Anybody have any idea as to how I would go about making these gluten-free or something similiar?
Thanks!

You could try cutting out pie crust dough and sprinkling with cinnamon sugar. Grandma used to do that with the scraps, then baked them on a baking sheet.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

We use pie crust and sprinkle it generously with cinnamon and sugar. It's surprising how much it takes! ;) It's not quite like the fried version, but I guess that you could try putting a thick coating of oil on the cookie sheet if you want to try to mimic the fried texture. Even without the oil it's delicious and a little healthier too!
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Fried dough! I live in New England, we've always called it fried dough. I miss it too. Much as I love cinnamon sugar pie crust, that's basically just rugelach. Which is lovely, but it's not fried dough. Fried dough is soft, chewy, warm, tasty, powdered-sugary amazingness. I hope somebody has a recipe for it.... sigh...

Hey, if you deep fry cinnamon Chebe? Oooo..... I may need to try that soon. I just bought grapeseed oil, which is good for frying because it has a very high flash point. I will get back to you all....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hmm... last time I made gluten-free pie crust, the dough itself didn't taste all that great, so I didn't make my usual cinnamon and sugar stuff with the extra, BUT when it was baked it was delicious, so maybe I should have. I've never fried it -- I'll have to try it out and let you all know how it turns out.

#6 Kirasmommy

Kirasmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks!

I have a recipe that you can try...It comes from an old school recipe book. I have used cup for cup of gluten free flour compared to normal flour give or take a bit but it always turns out. You just have to watch you batter. Best of luck :)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3/8 cup shortening
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
4 cups gluten free flour
1 quart oil for frying
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons white sugar
Directions
In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar. Sprinkle over warm pastries. Serve.

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

I have a recipe that you can try...It comes from an old school recipe book. I have used cup for cup of gluten free flour compared to normal flour give or take a bit but it always turns out. You just have to watch you batter. Best of luck :)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3/8 cup shortening
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
4 cups gluten free flour
1 quart oil for frying
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons white sugar
Directions
In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar. Sprinkle over warm pastries. Serve.

This sound so good. Do you need to add xanthan gum?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

If you google gluten free puff pastry, there's a recipe on there that I've been wanting to try but haven't... that might work for those flakey elephant ears!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#9 Kirasmommy

Kirasmommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

This sound so good. Do you need to add xanthan gum?

Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes add xanthan gum i usually do 1 tsp for every cup of flour.

#10 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

There is a blog called Three Boys And Gluten Free , she just posted arecipe for elephant ears....

http://threeboysandg...phant-ears.html

Hope this helps.

mamaw

#11 Mom of a Celiac toddler

Mom of a Celiac toddler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Help! The link didn't work for me. It only took me to her blog about her goats.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: