This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

General Mills To Debut Gluten-Free Bisquick

sa1937

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm glad to hear that General Mills is going to come out with gluten free Bisquick and Hamburger Helper.

Open Original Shared Link

While I have never used a lot or Bisquick, I do like to make oven-fried chicken with it. And I've probably not bought half a dozen boxes of Hamburger Helper in my entire life.

It's great to have more options though and especially from General Mills as their products are so readily available in so many supermarkets.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

Oooo...Ahhhh....that sounds mighty fine to me! Thanks for passing on the info!

bridgetm Enthusiast

As a good Irish-Catholic girl I really miss those Sunday dinners of potatoes, beef stew and a buttery Bisquik biscuit to soak it all up. The meal just isn't complete without the gravy in the stew and the biscuit on the side... I'll be in line for that one :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Ohhhh, I forgot about biscuits and those impossible pie recipes, too. I have a good pancake recipe but I haven't tried it yet with gluten free flours so I haven't used Bisquick for years for pancakes like I used to. I think I also made a streusel coffee cake with Bisquick.

bridgetm Enthusiast

Ohhhh, I forgot about biscuits and those impossible pie recipes, too. I have a good pancake recipe but I haven't tried it yet with gluten free flours so I haven't used Bisquick for years for pancakes like I used to. I think I also made a streusel coffee cake with Bisquick.

I forgot about those pancakes... Bisquick pancakes were good breakfast, lunch and dinner. A little mashed banana, a couple chocolate chips. Apparently one month is too long to go without such things.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm thinking about strawberry shortcake, beef stew with dumplings, and hopefully a decent gluten-free biscuit :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This will be great IF they have a dedicated facility. Not that I am not happy with Pamela's mix, which I think could most likely sub for the bisquick in most recipes, but perhaps the gluten-free Bisquick might be a little less pricey.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm thinking about strawberry shortcake, beef stew with dumplings, and hopefully a decent gluten-free biscuit biggrin.gif

You're making me hungry!!! laugh.gif

sa1937 Community Regular

This will be great IF they have a dedicated facility. Not that I am not happy with Pamela's mix, which I think could most likely sub for the bisquick in most recipes, but perhaps the gluten-free Bisquick might be a little less pricey.

I think they make Chex cereals, cake mixes, etc. in a dedicated facilty, don't they? I've gotten Chex cereals occasionally for $2.00 a box. Anytime we can get get those foods from a grocery store or Wal-Mart, they're usually not as expensive as a health food store (yes, I shop those, too).

I bought some Pamela's mix last week but haven't tried it yet.

GFLindsey Explorer

I am thrilled! I have an entire Bisquick cookbook that I used when first learning to cook in my pre-Celiac days. They were easy and delicious recipes. I will have to go and steal that book back from my mother!

Thanks for sharing

foodiegurl Collaborator

Thank you for posting this, I actually wrote that article :wub:

I am very excited too, and while I didn't really use it before on a daily basis, I liked having it on hand for certain items, and impossible brunch pie :) I think it is great to know that large companies are making items available in the mainstream. And I believe with General Mills, they will only actually label it 'gluten-free' if it is made in a dedicated facility.

For example their cookie crisp cereal and Trix are gluten-free, but not made in a dedicated facility so they are not labeled as being gluten-free. Though I have had booth and I am pretty sensitive and have been fine.

Mskedi Newbie

Ooh... guess I'll be one of the first to try it since I'm going to the conference! :D

mushroom Proficient

Ooh... guess I'll be one of the first to try it since I'm going to the conference! :D

Make sure to find out what they put in it, and LET US KNOW!! Don't want to get excited for nuffin :rolleyes:

Juliebove Rising Star

I wonder how the Bisquick will taste? So far all of the gluten-free biscuit things I have tried have been oddly sweet and nasty. I remember making something a few times called Impossible Pie. It wasn't a sweet pie but a dinner thing made with hamburger. My grandma sent me the recipe. Would be nice to have something like that as an option again. As I recall, you mix it all up then bake it and the Bisquick stuff goes all to the top or bottom. I can't remember which now.

I never had much use for Hamburger Helper. I used to sometimes make macaroni, beef and tomatoes or mix hamburger with mac and cheese though.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thank you for posting this, I actually wrote that article wub.gif

I am very excited too, and while I didn't really use it before on a daily basis, I liked having it on hand for certain items, and impossible brunch pie smile.gif I think it is great to know that large companies are making items available in the mainstream. And I believe with General Mills, they will only actually label it 'gluten-free' if it is made in a dedicated facility.

For example their cookie crisp cereal and Trix are gluten-free, but not made in a dedicated facility so they are not labeled as being gluten-free. Though I have had booth and I am pretty sensitive and have been fine.

Great article! I was so happy to stumble across it while googling for something else. Your photo looked so familiar. smile.gif

I remember a brunch pie, too...like quiche only easier. I also made some type of a coconut impossible pie (dessert).

I didn't know about cookie crisp or Trix. How about Kix? Is it gluten free, too, even though not made in a dedicated facility? I never was a cookie crisp/Trix fan and I made my kids add sugar to cereal with only a sugared cereal as a treat occasionally.

sa1937 Community Regular

I wonder how the Bisquick will taste? So far all of the gluten-free biscuit things I have tried have been oddly sweet and nasty. I remember making something a few times called Impossible Pie. It wasn't a sweet pie but a dinner thing made with hamburger. My grandma sent me the recipe. Would be nice to have something like that as an option again. As I recall, you mix it all up then bake it and the Bisquick stuff goes all to the top or bottom. I can't remember which now.

I never had much use for Hamburger Helper. I used to sometimes make macaroni, beef and tomatoes or mix hamburger with mac and cheese though.

Hopefully it'll taste great! The only gluten free mix I've tried is their Brownie Mix and my son and daughter-in-law couldn't tell the difference (I added extra chocolate chips and nuts, too). I have a yellow cake mix in my pantry so that'll be the next thing I try.

I think the Hamburger Helper mixes will be one using potatoes and the other two are rice-based. Never was a fan of Hamburger Helper but I'm rethinking the convenience food thing since I can't just run to the store and pick up something quick (like Stouffer's, not that they're great but convenient to have an emergency meal on hand when I positively don't have time to throw something together).

Darissa Contributor

Thanks for the update information. I am happy that General Mills is on board with making more and more products gluten free! I have been happy with many of the General Mills prodcuts. Can't wait to try the new Bisquick!

mommida Enthusiast

I am really excited! I would love to have a biscuit sandwich!

I feel like such a dork! I never even checked a cookie crisp box to see if it was gluten free! Did anyone ever add that to ice cream to make it like a cookie dough ice cream?

Thanks Foodie gurl!

foodiegurl Collaborator

I am really excited! I would love to have a biscuit sandwich!

I feel like such a dork! I never even checked a cookie crisp box to see if it was gluten free! Did anyone ever add that to ice cream to make it like a cookie dough ice cream?

Thanks Foodie gurl!

Wow, that sounds like a decadent dessert. I will have to try that one day!

sa1937 Community Regular

Regular Cookie Crisp is not gluten free (it contains wheat), although the Sprinkles Cookie Crisp doesn't have any ingredients that would suggest it isn't gluten free (although not made in dedicated facilities like Chex).

Here's a list of GM products to check:

Open Original Shared Link

mommida Enthusiast

OK good to know. I might be able to find that cereal and give it a try with ice cream. :P

Archived