This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

We Want To Open A Gf Cafe & Grocery Store

mrsfish-94

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

My husband and I have decided to open a gluten-free Cafe & Grocery store. Does anyone have advice or suggestions. I guess I am really asking this of those who own a gluten-free business. But ANY advice would be helpful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

My only thought is that I wish you lived here in my town!! :D

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking... thanks!

Guest nini

I wish you lived in my town too!!!!

rmmadden Contributor

Come to my town, too (I smell a franchise opportunity brewing.......)

Cleveland Bob B)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Don't own a business of any kind, but I'll still give you my two cents:

• Emphasize what careful attention you pay to ingredients and cross-contamination. If you have no gluten allowed in the store or something, people will feel really comfortable going there.
  • Advertise...make sure people know about it. Risotteria (in Manhttan, see Open Original Shared Link ) became well known because they were part of the GFRAP ( Open Original Shared Link ) and because the customers came away satisfied and told others. Make sure people know so that when they go to ______ (your location) they remember you.
  • It doesn't have to be only gluten-free and advertising only as gluten-free might not be as beneficial. Advertise being casein-free or peanut-free or whatever... and make it a health thing: nobody should be eating wheat anyway, cause we can't fully digest it, so that's a plus that you can use.
  • Make sure advertisements hit your target consumer (i.e. advertise in Living Without or Gluten Free Living since you'll find many celiacs)
  • Website...a major selling point

And come to NYC! :D

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

What I always loved is what we called a chocolate-banana. I don't know, if you have this here in the states. It's a banana cut in a half length-wise and placed on a thin piece of bisquit that's about the same length. Sometimes there's whipcream and/or jelly between the bisquit and the banana. And then there's hot chocolate poured over the entire thing. When the chocolate is cooled of, it gets stiff and then it's decorated with a brownish sugar-cream (like a zig-zag pattern over the chocolate). Hmmm! You will find this in almost every cafe or bakery in germany. I miss it!

jknnej Collaborator

If it was me I would do what others are saying and try to offer specialty things that other companies don't!

Maybe even make some of your own recipes if possible to sell in your store...

I wish I could open a gluten-free store!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

I want to make fresh baked breads and goodies, for sure. And I have been checking out bread slicers and ovens. I have some really great recipes that I have made at home and thought....this is so good!

I have considered making it an "allergy free" like place. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and my son egg. So most of the things I make at home are egg and peanut free. And Yes, Casein Free would surely be on the list. In our area, there are several schools for Autisic Children. From what I am told...one of them is among the best in the state.

I would like to serve pizza and am still working on a good recipe for the crust. Anyone know of a great CF Cheese?

Oh and to answer where I live...it is in Northern California (Modesto) If this takes off I would consider helping others start one. I really am surprised that there isn't a franchise already! Thanks for all the imput!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
...it is in Northern California (Modesto)

Uh! That's so far from us. Maybe I'll come to visit, when I'm in California for a competition. To start a cafe like that sounds like a good idea. It might be worth checking out in our area.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I live in Stanford! YAY I love you soooooo much, I will be visiting you often even though it is kinda far... I still will!

momof2 Explorer

YAHOO! I live in Roseville, but my mom goes to Modesto all the time on business! I wish you luck, and am glad you are thinking about opening this kind of business!

Guest barbara3675

My health food store is encouraging me to have a gluten-free menu at my tavern and restaurant which has a full menu. Although I think it would be a good idea, I am afraid of cross-contamination due to the volume of our business at times. I eat gluten-free and know there are several items on our menu that can be served gluten-free, also we have a cook that would be sensitive to the issue. However, I just am afraid that if I glutened someone inadvertenly, I would feel so terrible. I would appreciate any advice on this matter. We would try very hard to make all meals gluten-free........here is what we have that could be on that menu: BBQ ribs (we use only Sweet Baby Rays sauce), salmon, baked cod, buffalo burgers (I'd have to serve them on grilled gluten-free bread, I guess, which is how I eat them and they are great) stir fry veggies on rice with or without chicken breast, steaks, chicken breast dinner. Gosh, until I got to listing the stuff, I didn't even realize how many items would be fitting for such a menu. I am going to really think about this. Maybe it would draw in a whole new line of customers and that would be O.K. with me!!!!!!

Barbara

Guest gfinnebraska

Okay Barbara ~ all that sounds great too!! WHERE are YOU located??!!?? I have a feeling no one wants to open a gluten-free place in Nebraska of all places!! Ha! ;)

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

My husband and I want to do this right so...we are getting a business plan together and working on how much it is going to take to get this open. Wow! There is so much involved.

I think that most Celiac's know that there is always the possiblity of contamination, especially if they are going to a restaurant that serves items that have gluten. I also feel that most Celiac's are happy to know that someone at the restaurant has it and can understand why they get ill. And are prepairing their meal.(granted...know wants to have it or wants someone else to either.) But, it makes going to a restaurant more pleasent and that really makes the difference. People who can eat gluten...really have no understanding of how bad eating gluten makes them feel. And that is ok...except when they are making your meal.

We are so thrilled about starting this restaurant. I hope this really helps others as I know it will help us. We wanted to go out for breakfast on Mother's day, and I told my hubby...NO WAY! I don't want to be sitting at a Denny's with others eating pancakes and waffles (my daughter's favorite) And tell her she can't have them. That is why we started this adventure. I want somewhere for our kids and families to go.

Thanks for all the imput.

• 2 weeks later...
gf4life Enthusiast

Modesto is only a two hour drive (one way) for me, and I would certainly drive that far to eat/shop at a place that was totally gluten-free! I would just have to figure it into my monthly shopping trips... :D

Let me know when you get going.

God bless,

Mariann

Guest gliX

i'm in northern virginia =( but you could open an online store too = )

mrsfish-94 Apprentice

That thought had crossed my mind. I don't know if I could compete with all the other online stores. And I would be selling the same items. But I am looking in to it!!!! :)

hsd1203 Newbie

find a really great way to advertise... I ran into 2 other celiacs at a healthfood store the other day and neither one of them knew about a gluten-free bakery in the city they happened to be shopping in!

also, this same place seemed like it used to be all celiacs and the labelled everything really well. now they have new employees that aren't and dont bother to label all the ingredients of the things they make. oh, and now they make non-gluten-free sandwiches for lunch. and that makes me nervous, so I dont eat there as much as I would like because I'm worried about cross contamination issues. sad.

Archived