This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Deciphering Results Please

Dace

Dace Rookie

I am new here, please forgive me if this type of question has been asked repeatedly!

Our history is long and complex, but the short version is that 5 yrs ago I had my then 11 yr old tested for food allergies, celiacs and a few other things as she was very thin and I was worried about malabsorption issues. She tested negative for celiacs ( I was told) but positive for the antibody (which was never explained and I was just happy to hear the Neg on celiacs. Now I have a 7 yo with constant belly aches, which are very clearly realted to the amount of wheat she consumes. In doing some research the anitbody thing popped up, so I ordered the older childs lab work and went thru it.

Gliadin Ab IgA: <3

Negative <11

Equivocal 11-17

Positive >17

Gliadin Ab IGg: 22

Negative<11

Equivocal 11-17

Positive >17

Endomysial

(tTG) Ab IgA <3

Negative <5

Equivocal 5-8

Positive >8

So....now I am in search of meaning. I did a brief search and understand that the IgA and (tTG)IgA is reflective of celiac, and IGg, not as much. I wonder if these numbers are reflective of an intolerance.

She has diarrhea regularly, headaches daily, migraines on occasion, joint aches often, is 5' 7" weighs 105 (just recently crossed over 100 pounds).

My husband (her father) has been on prilosec for years and just recently got off of is when we removed most grains from our daily diet. He often has diarrhea, gastro upset and is a poor sleeper. I suspect that he may be the potential hereditary link.

So if any of you out there can advise, or help me make sense of what this really means....I would appreciate some guidance.

Dace

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

In celiac disease the body attacks itself in the intestine in response to gluten consumption. A positive or negative result on a celiac (tTG) test does not rule out the presence of reactions in other parts of the body. Being that your child had high IgG-gliadin values it is definitely suggestive of a gluten intolerance, the treatment for a gluten intolerance is exactly the same as for celiac disease.

Dace Rookie

In celiac disease the body attacks itself in the intestine in response to gluten consumption. A positive or negative result on a celiac (tTG) test does not rule out the presence of reactions in other parts of the body. Being that your child had high IgG-gliadin values it is definitely suggestive of a gluten intolerance, the treatment for a gluten intolerance is exactly the same as for celiac disease.

Thank you, that is what I thought but I just needed someone to confirm that for me!

carecare Enthusiast

Dace,

Hi there, man..does your post sound all too familiar. I think we are leading a double life...really...LOL

My now 17 yr old was tested about 5-6 yrs ago for Celiac and I was told it was negative. She had years of diahrea and illness. Then she had her appendix out and I was told the cells surrounding her appendix were consistant with someone who had celiac. So they did the blood test and I was told it was normal and never asked to look at it myself. I actually pulled her out of school at this time to homeschool as she just got sick all the time. Being at home helped so much. Fast forward to the last couple years. My husband has dealt with indigestion for our entire marriage...18 yrs. (his mother is lactose intolerant and claims to not be able to tolerate whole wheat...but I suspect gluten has caused her lactose intolerance and she's in denial..LOL)He's had severe bouts of diarrhea that happen pretty frequently. 2 yrs ago I convinced him to do a gluten free diet...his indigestion went away and the big D improved but then he gave up on it after 2 months and of course went back to feeling bad and it wasn't until October he did a Paleolythic challenge (totally gluten free) for an exercise forum he frequents was doing. He immediately noticed his indigestion went away. His big D completely cleared up but that took a good 4 to 5 months to clear out completely. Back in december or so I called my daughter's ped. and asked for the results of the celiac panel she had done years ago and right on the bottom of the results say "abnormal"...however, it wasn't abnormal enough to warrant them to tell me about it. Her Antigliadin AB-IGA 47 (flagged as high)...and it wasn't just a little high it seemed pretty high to me. I still don't know exactly what that means and if it means her body is reacting to gluten. The rest of the results were normal...besides her white count I think which was a little low. Fast forward to February and my 8 yr old son gets a stomach bug and from that day forward has had stomach pain. Tried prilosec for a month...didn't help. Been giving him probiotics. Tried a gluten free diet for only 2 wks for which actually he seemed to be improving then he cheated and then didn't seem any worse off...until a week later and now he's been on and off stomach pain for the last few weeks again. I can't decide if I should go all out again on the gluten free diet for him or get him a blood test before doing that. My husband refused to see a dr before going gluten free. I really would like some test to tell me yes or no because if he has problems with gluten...it will be out of my house for good (I know I know...it should be out of my house already because of my husband....but the kids are picky eaters and it's so easy to allow some gluten items).

Anyway, I hope you get some answers. If you do..please let me know. I'll be curious. Oh and your daughter has the same stats as mine...thought I don't know how old she is...mine is 17 and is 5'7 and about 105 lbs too...LOL Hmm...she gets occasional joint aches. My other daughter (15) actually was being treated by a rhuemotologist a couple years ago for her painful joints...which would always follow an illness by about 2 wks and last a month or two. It was very tough on her....but I can say the last couple years she's been good with that...and not many complaints and hasn't been to the doctor in a couple years regarding her joints. Actually, we did go gluten free for a couple months to see if it would help her joints and her ADHD but didn't notice much difference...but I probably didn't give it enough time.

Take care,

CC

Dace Rookie

Wow Carecare...we are definitely in the same exact boat!

I would interpret your DD's results as being yes, she has trouble (on some level) with gluten! The more I read, the more gluten intolerance/sensitivity/celiacs reminds me of autism....there is such a broad spectrum. If you DD is ill when consuming gluten, then it really does not matter what the numbers are.

I just took my 7 yr old to be tested today..even though she is consuming a very small amount of gluten I anticipate that her antibodies will be higher than her older sister.

We noticed my husbands health improving by cleaning up our diet...semi paleo, but we do dairy and the occasional grains.

For a while, I think he really thought this was all made up in my head. He just did not really see the connection because his whole life he has had GI issues. We have been off most wheat and grains for several months, but he still cheats regularly. For the last week he has been very good about his diet, no cheats, like pretzels or anything. Yesterday he went to subway and had a sandwich on whole grain bread and started to feel the indigestion creep up on him very quickly. I think that sealed the deal!

I encourage you to get your kids checked. Ask specifically for testing, don't ask for the Dr's opinion! And ask for copies of all lab work!!

Good luck!

Archived