#1 laurieb119

laurieb119

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

hi,

my name is laurie. i am pregnant, 7 months now. i am curious if anyone knows how long to keep the baby on a gluten free diet. this is my first child and i have had celiac since i was a baby. much has changed. i am curious if anyone else has experience with this. noone in my family has celiac, or at least none that we know of. i do not have a pediatritian yet either. my obgyn is suggesting me someone only problem is so many dont know of celiac. does anyone have any experience or/and advice as far as if i should take one that knows of celiac, how to find one is the next wquestion,

thanks so much,

laurie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

I'm not a doctor. The articles I have read recently say to breastfeed. It is supposed to delay Celiac and there is proof that the baby's stomach is healthier.

A new article released this past week encourages introducing gluten to the baby's diet in the "window" of time. My kids were both breastfed and "solid" food was started at the perfect window, they are now on a gluten free diet for life.

Other than that, it has to be you and your doctor's decision how you will proceed.

L.
Michigan

#3 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

Laurie Congrats when are you due? I am due August 11th sounds like we might be close. My G.I. gave me a pamplet a couple of weeks ago that said they only things that could prolong the on set of Celiac is Breastfeeding for as long as possiable and delaying starting gluten in the diet and how much/often they eat gluten.

I think it is going to be hard because kids eat crackers and cherrios so does anyone know what to feed the gluten-free baby for a snack or while you are out?
gluten-free since 2004!

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

A recent article on this suggested, in order to reduce the chances of an at risk child developing celiac disease, to introduce wheat between four and six months old. Definitely not before, and not after.

Of course, you'll want to stay on a strictly gluten-free diet.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: