27 replies to this topic

#1 dhiltonlittle

dhiltonlittle

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

i have realized that i'm not eating near enough fruits and vegetables. what are some of your favorites that pack a lot of nutrients and are easy on the belly?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:35 AM

I LOOOVE Bananas and grapes. Also, I eat Larabars which have 1/4 your daily allowance of fruits (dried). Ginger snap is really good and always soothes my tummy.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#3 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:48 AM

If I don't get my daily sandwich baggies of carrots and green beans, I feel like I have had an incomplete day.
I start my day off with a banana and I love spinach greens.

Vegetables and herbs that soothe the stomach are bananas, ginger, mint and basil, among others.

Be careful though with eating too many fruits that are high in sugar. Fructose can act as an irritant for your stomach. Too many raw veggies to can act as an irritant too, so steaming them is often easier to make them digest more easily. But it's good fiber and the best kind for your insides, much better than starches.

The one thing that is really marvelous about having to give up gluten is that you really do eat more fruits and veg.
And that is a very, very good thing.
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#4 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

I like the fruit that comes already cut up because I'm lazy like that. :rolleyes: If it's already washed and cut into bite size pieces I'm more likely to eat it. I like fruit but I don't crave it so for me it needs to be easy. I usually buy strawberries, cantaloupe or fruit salad already prepped. I also buy bananas, mangos and apples.

I love veggies and do crave them so I eat a lot of them. I bought a small steamer that goes in the microwave from Amazon for $12 that I love! I cook broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, potatoes, etc. in just a few minutes.

For snacking I love petite carrots, red pepper and cucumber slices with hummus. I'm also on a jicama kick. I like to make a mango guacamole with tortilla chips for snaking too.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#5 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

Fruit spring rolls - easy peasy ways to shovel in more fruit during the day. Cheap too (since I get the rice/tapioca papers at the local Asian market for about $2 for 30+ wrappers!) and quick to make.

Soak the wrappers in warm water until soft. Slice up whatever combo of fruit looks good and is in the house (if using canned - drain really well.) Slice thin, and roll up in the wrapper. No need to cook. I also do the same thing with veggies. For the fruit - I'll make either a caramel, a chocolate, or a fruit based dipping sauce. The veggies... any salad dressing I am using at the moment works great.

Added bonus - they last well in my husbands lunch box, so I'm getting a LOT more fruit and veggies into him as well!
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Fruit spring rolls - easy peasy ways to shovel in more fruit during the day. Cheap too (since I get the rice/tapioca papers at the local Asian market for about $2 for 30+ wrappers!) and quick to make.

Soak the wrappers in warm water until soft. Slice up whatever combo of fruit looks good and is in the house (if using canned - drain really well.) Slice thin, and roll up in the wrapper. No need to cook. I also do the same thing with veggies. For the fruit - I'll make either a caramel, a chocolate, or a fruit based dipping sauce. The veggies... any salad dressing I am using at the moment works great.

Added bonus - they last well in my husbands lunch box, so I'm getting a LOT more fruit and veggies into him as well!

OMG! I think you have changed my life! (Maybe a little exaggeration). I didn't know these papers existed. That is the exact thing I need. I loved veggies & dressing, maybe left over rice or stir fry in a tortilla. Fruit with a little cream cheese to stick it together. Yeah!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 tictax707

tictax707

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

Bananas & grapes are my go-to fruits when my system is mad but can at least handle fruit. Strawberries, blueberries, & blackberries are good because the rich color indicates lots of antioxidants to battle any inflammation you might have going on when your system is out of whack. You can blend 'em up to make it a bit easier going down.

As for veggies - steamed carrots & green beans are a favorite. I second what another poster said about too much fresh stuff, but steaming them silly makes it easier on my system.

YAY fruits & veggies!! :D
Diagnosed celiac 2002
Diagnosed lymphocytic colitis 2003
Casein free
Love baking/cooking
Love triathlons

#8 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Glad to help!

Just make sure to double check the ingredient list (yeah, yeah - I know. S.O.P for all foods once you have to go gluten free... still, a reminder never hurts! :P ) - really should only be rice flour, sometimes tapioca starch, water, sometimes salt. They can be found as : spring rolls wrappers, summer roll wrappers, or just rice paper. They look rather like a thin plastic film and take a little fiddling with the first few times to get used to working with them. Soak for 20-60 seconds in hot water and they get really pliable and easy to roll (and firm up enough after to pack for later).

I LOVE these things. Stuff with fruit, veggies, meat, even noodles (the tofu Shirataki noodles work great, without adding many calories). Have them as snacks, meals, everything. VERY helpful when having to eat gluten free!
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#9 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

Oh goodness now I am hungry :P
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#10 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

We've started eating chard this winter. Super easy: hack the leaves into smaller pieces, then saute in a little oil with seasonings of your choice. My favorite flavor combo so far was coconut oil with minced garlic and garam masala (one of the blends in Indian curry).

I'm also loving beets. I buy fresh ones, wrap them in foil, and bake them in the oven like I would potatoes (although put the beets in a dish because the juice will leak out). Then I peel them, slice them, cool them, and either use them as green salad toppers or dress them with just olive oil and feta for a quick salad.

I love fruit, but it doesn't always love me, especially on an empty stomach. In general, high-sugar foods give me stomachaches.

#11 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

Glad to help!

Just make sure to double check the ingredient list (yeah, yeah - I know. S.O.P for all foods once you have to go gluten free... still, a reminder never hurts! :P ) - really should only be rice flour, sometimes tapioca starch, water, sometimes salt. They can be found as : spring rolls wrappers, summer roll wrappers, or just rice paper. They look rather like a thin plastic film and take a little fiddling with the first few times to get used to working with them. Soak for 20-60 seconds in hot water and they get really pliable and easy to roll (and firm up enough after to pack for later).

I LOVE these things. Stuff with fruit, veggies, meat, even noodles (the tofu Shirataki noodles work great, without adding many calories). Have them as snacks, meals, everything. VERY helpful when having to eat gluten free!

OMG this sounds wonderful. Ok... new thread here.... Let's have fun with this. What kind of wrappers would you make? There are some great ideas already. Here is an idea I am going to try when I pick some up. Sprouts has avocados for 3/1.00 this week. So I am going to try avocado, smoked salmon and some crumbled cooked bacon. Maybe some rotisserie shredded chicken, sauteed mushrooms and beansprouts.

I never knew about these wrappers... thanks so much for the suggestion!
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#12 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

OMG this sounds wonderful. Ok... new thread here.... Let's have fun with this. What kind of wrappers would you make? There are some great ideas already. Here is an idea I am going to try when I pick some up. Sprouts has avocados for 3/1.00 this week. So I am going to try avocado, smoked salmon and some crumbled cooked bacon. Maybe some rotisserie shredded chicken, sauteed mushrooms and beansprouts.

I never knew about these wrappers... thanks so much for the suggestion!

Oh gosh, the first one sounds almost like a Cobb salad wrapper! YUM.

#13 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

Best way to get the most bang for your buck is to only buy fresh items while they are in season (frozen year round). Here's a helpful chart for Seasonality. Unfortunately if you're living in any super hot area the seasons are drastically reduced when you try and buy local.

A fun way to expose yourself to new fruits and vegetables is to find your local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) center. These are places where you pay something like a monthly subscription fee and each week get a new bag of freshly picked produce from a local farm(s). The nutritional quality of fresh picked local produce is unmatched by anything you can find in the store and the depth of flavor is so much more complex.
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#14 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

You had me at cobb salad roll!

I use these wrappers too but haven't made fruit rolls yet. That's on my must do list for this weekend. What a great idea. I'm thinking a coconut-yogurt based dip with mint might be good with them.

I have used them to make classic fried spring rolls because I was having a craving. I sauteed cole slaw mix (easier than chopping cabbage and carrots) with garlic and ginger and tossed in some ground pork and some no-soy soy sauce. Then lightly fried them in peanut oil.

I also used them to make fresh spring rolls with cooked shrimp, lettuce, mango, cucumber, basil and mint. Just roll and eat. I make a sweet and sour sauce with apricot jam, hot pepper flakes and a bit of water. Just toss that in the microwave to warm and loosen the jam.

At first the papers are a bit of a challenge to use. I soaked some too long and some not long enough. I got the hang of it after a few rolls.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#15 JustLovely9216

JustLovely9216

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:59 AM

This wrappers are absolute genious and I am making them this weekend...all of them...every single one you all have mentioned!

PS: Best fruit dip ever - sour creme, powdered sugar, amaretto liqueur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: