3 replies to this topic

#1 alissar

alissar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hello! Since I was a teenager, I have woken up EVERY morning with swollen eyelids (top and bottom), and sacs of fluid underneath my eyes. I tried for years to figure out why, but the only possibility came down to a slight allergy to dust mites. I have hardwood floors, cover my beds with dust mite covers, sleep with silk bedding, have a hepa air purifier, wash my bedding in solution that kills mites every week, take allergy shots, and take an antihistamine before bed....my point....I highly doubt the fluid sacs around my eyes are from dust mites.

All of my labs for every disease or illness under the sun that cause puffy eyes came back normal. I am healthy and have a low sodium diet. My hands do swell at times, but other than that no other parts of my body are ever swollen.

Two weeks ago, I received my results from enterolab stating that I have anti-gliandin levels of 68 units (well above normal)...aka, I am gluten intolerant. I have not been tested for Celiac. (Should I trust enterolab results?)

As far as my eyes go, there is no real itch most of the time, the side I sleep on tends to be worse (although it always affects both eyes), and my eyes are very red. Preparation H causes much less fluid retention, so that leads me to believe this is due to angioedema (some sort of intolerance/allergy). I have seen an ophthalmologist, ENT, oculoplastic surgeon, and allergist who all agree, but can't figure out what the problem is.

I have been off gluten for about a month (but have been accidentally glutened) and have seen improvement. Do/did any of you wake up with swelling around your eyes due to gluten on a daily basis? How long after going off gluten did this issue go away? Its so frustrating!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Eliza82

Eliza82

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

I am not sure if this is gluten related just yet since I only started my gluten-free diet one week ago, but for the last year, I've had a puffy-feeling face that is red and I can feel it but others cannot see the puffyness, but I know its there. I had stomach problems before this and then was put on flagyl which made things much worse, so my face could still be having side-affects from the flagyl or the gluten or both. Hopefully we will both see changes soon.

It is frustrating but we have to stay positive. You are a strong person!
Gluten-free 4/25/10 (as a test run)

When you wholeheartedly adopt a "with all your heart" attitude and go out with the positive principle, you can do incredible things. -Norman Vincent Peale

#3 Mari

Mari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

I wake up mornings with swollen eyes and bags and have not found that being off gluten has helped much. The only things which have helped was when I did a whole year or so of internal body cleanses (parasite, kidney, liver flushes and various liver support and toxin removing herbal programs). Its possible that you have some food allergies and if you are not digesting your food properly the food antigens could be passing into your body. You may have a silent reflux so when you lay down small amounts the undigested food backs up into your esophagus and mouth and the food antigens may be spread in saliva across your face as you are sleeping.

I found a book which guided me in removing toxins from both my body and environment. If you are reacting to some chemical then anything with a chemical solvent may be causing your reactions even the polish on your shoes, formalin in your bedding, furnature polish, traces of detergent on clothes and bedding, recently painted surfaces, traces of cosmetics. It took me several years to clean out the all the toxins from my home. You might also have molds growing in the structure of you house, especially the bathroom and kitchen.
DQ6/DQ8
HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302
Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

#4 alissar

alissar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Mari,

Have you been able to pinpoint what is causing your eyes to swell up in the morning? How long have you been off gluten for? I guess the reason I thought it was from gluten is because of the decrease I have seen in the puffiness every day since going gluten-free. But, I am definitely willing to explore more options and other areas as a source of the problem. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: