5 replies to this topic

#1 Keela

Keela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

I have tried most of the store bought pizza crust and while some taste great I cannot get over the expense. I keep a variety of gluten-free flours at my house so homemade crust make more sense. Ive tried a couple of recipes but they turned out tasting very gluten free.
Any recipes that work great?
Wheat free March 2008
Gluten free December 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

This is the one that I use. I don't use the recommended flours though, I use my own blend. I don't like the taste of bean flours. The recipe is pretty forgiving, I've never had it turn out bad. I also double the recipe and back and freeze the crusts for later use.

http://www.epicuriou...ee-Pizza-241924

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

We LOVE this one. My gluten hubby prefers it over all pizza restaurants' crusts. My son's best friend begs his mom to make it (they don't need a gluten-free diet, he just likes it!). I make my own "mixes" by mixing the dry ingredients (excluding sugar and yeast) and putting it in ziplock bags. It speeds up Friday pizza and a movie night. :D I also make my own sauce and then freeze it in containers with the correct portion needed for one pizze night.

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbs dry yeast
1/2 tsp of sugar
2/3 cup of warm water
2/3 cups of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of tapioca flour
2 Tbs of dried milk powder
2 tsp of xanthan gum
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of unflavored gelatin powder (we use Knox gelatin)
1/2 - 1 tsp of Italian seasoning (I use McCormick)

1 tsp of olive oil
1 tsp of apple cider vinegar

METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 425F

Mix sugar, yeast, and warm water and set aside.
Combine dry ingredients in medium sized bowl.

When yeast mixture is frothy (takes about 5-10 minutes), add it and the apple cider vinegar and the olive oil to the dry ingredients. (I double the recipe, and for this part I use a 2 cup glass measuring cup to mix the sugar, water, and yeast, when the mixture has frothed up to the top of the glass I know itís done.)

Beat on medium to high speed about 3 minutes. The dough will resemble soft bread dough.

Grease a 12" pizza pan or pizza stone lightly (apply oil to kitchen paper and rub over the surface). Dust lightly with brown rice flour.
Put dough mix in centre of pizza pan sprinkle liberally with some rice flour.
Put oil on your hands or use additional flour as needed to help with the sticking and press dough out into thickness you desire.

Make edges thicker to retain toppings (I just squeezed between my thumb and forefinger
all the way around the circumference).

Bake in oven for 10 mins, remove, spread with the homemade pizza sauce and grated mozzarella cheese, add your favorite toppings and finish with grated cheddar cheese.
For our pizza, I use about 3 Tbs or so of sauce, sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over the sauce (not much, just a dusting), sprinkle with mozzarella and some cheddar (definitely more mozzarella than cheddar).

Return to oven for a further 20 -25 mins or until the cheese is slightly browned

Sufficient dough for 1 good 12" pizza

#4 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

We LOVE this one. My gluten hubby prefers it over all pizza restaurants' crusts. My son's best friend begs his mom to make it (they don't need a gluten-free diet, he just likes it!). I make my own "mixes" by mixing the dry ingredients (excluding sugar and yeast) and putting it in ziplock bags. It speeds up Friday pizza and a movie night. :D I also make my own sauce and then freeze it in containers with the correct portion needed for one pizze night.

I see you beat me to it Pizza Crust like you wouldn't believe

Do you use my recipe for the pizza sauce or some other one ? Best Homemade Pizza Sauce Ever

Thanks for the Thumbs Up!

Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#5 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

The sauce I use:

INGREDIENTS:

15 ounce can tomato sauce
6 ounce can tomato paste
1 tsp ground Oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp Italian seasoning or basil (we use Ital. seasoning, itís just your preference)
Ĺ tsp sugar

METHOD:

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
Makes enough for 6 of our pizzas, but we donít like a lot of sauce.

#6 mjlnesbitt

mjlnesbitt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

This is a wonderful recipe for a pizza crust! I love it! My husband loves it!

http://glutenfreemom...homemade-pizza/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: