This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

At A Loss

gf Mel

gf Mel Newbie

Long story short, I have had several autoimmune disorders that may or may not be related to celiac disease. I also had a mass on my thyroid removed this year, and that event led me to research celiac disease. Several of the autoimmune disorders that run in the family are on the list of symptoms of celiac disease/gluten intolerance. Kind of on a whim, I went off gluten in February, and the eczema on my elbow (which kept coming back after steroid treatments) is finally gone after 11 years of trying. I have also had a few other skin problems clear up after going off gluten. The only other change in my life at that time was losing the thyroid mass (and half of my thyroid). I tend to think that I have an issue with gluten. My nephew was also just diagnosed as mild Celiac, and we have a strong reason to suspect that my grandfather was gluten-intolerant.

I also really think my 2-year-old daughter has a problem with gluten, but my husband is fighting me on this. Her diapers have been MUCH better since she went off gluten, and her Mother's Day Out teacher even made comments about the improvement. Her flaky skin has cleared up after going off gluten. My husband doesn't want to rearrange our lives around gluten unless we have to do it. He is certain that her diaper situation is caused by one of a hundred other things. Should I just give in an put us all back on gluten so we can have testing done? I kind of feel that this would be so much easier if I had proof of what I believe to be true. I have seen very positive results in myself and my kids (ages 2 & 5) since going off gluten, but I just don't know what to do. I want to cry about the idea of putting us all back on gluten, but my husband is being SO difficult. He thinks that my symptoms have changed just from the thyroid stuff. We do both believe that the kids have allergy issues, but my dh doesn't believe that it is in any way related to wheat. We have not had insurance in a little over a year so that would be why I elected to voluntarily go off gluten. We would be in a position to pay for testing in three months, and my husband is all for doing the tests. I feel like this is all driving me crazy one way or another. It would be nice to have proof.... I just don't know what to do. If we start a gluten trial now, we should have results before school starts again in the fall. I guess I am just thinking outloud here....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

vegiac980 Rookie

Getting her tested cant hurt her, i would go for it!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't like gluten challenges but I think I would do the challenge in your position. But I would do something else. Take pictures of the areas where she has skin issues now, then take pictures of them after a bit back on gluten. Note all symptoms in yourself and your children and review this with your husband on a daily basis. Unfortunately even with the challenge there is a chance of a false negative. I do hope that is not the case for your family.

If you can get him to come on the board and ask some questions or just read and learn that might help matters also.

gf Mel Newbie

I discussed all of this with my mother last night. She is a little nervous about the whole thing because my nephew had negative bloodwork. His diagnosis came after his second endoscopy and colonoscopy. If my daughter gets a false negative, I know my husband would take that as Truth. I decided yesterday that I am not going to do a trial for myself, but I am still considering it with the kids. My mom's suggestion was to let them eat mostly gluten-free, but let them have the occasional special treat without the trial. She thinks that we should be able to see a big enough reaction with that to know if we need to do further testing. I don't know that I want to do that either. It is just so hard when there doesn't seem to be any support.

Archived