This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Until Symptoms Disappear?

Eliza82

Eliza82 Apprentice

Hello all,

I have not had a Gastroenterologist confirm that I have Celiacs Disease, since my body is too weak for a Colonoscopy at this time, but he thinks I either have celiac disease or IBS. I have had blood work done which came back negative, but that doesn't mean I might not have a gluten intolerance. I'm hoping someone else out there can offer any insight or help with my current issue or just someone who has a similar situation to reach out and say hello.

I was having stomach bloating, pain, gas, constipation and diahrea on and off for about a year and went to my (former) primary care doctor and he thought I had Giardia so he gave me flagyl. The stool tests came back negative for the Giardia but it was too late - I was already taking the Flagyl. It messed up my system pretty bad and gave me a 13 month migraine, numbness in my feet and hands, chills, naseau, weakness, metalic taste in my tongue, depersonalization (brain fog - I am unsafe to drive at this time), jittery arms & legs, forgetfullness, no energy, hives on skin and in private areas, puffy feeling face even though its hard for others to spot, redness on my skin, excessive sweating and a pungeant body odor and so many other things. My thought was that maybe I had a gluten-intolerance and the doctor missed it and gave me the Flagyl which made my whole system MUCH worse. I am getting acupuncture treatment and taking chinese herbs for the relief of some of my symptoms. My migraine is almost gone and some of my naseau has resolved but there are many symptoms that are still there. I don't like medications and try to do things naturally and I'm sure you can understand why.

I have just taken the gluten out of my diet last Sunday so its one week today. I am noticing a little reduction in my hives but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm hoping its the gluten that is making things worse, but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket so I don't get down if this is not the case.

How long do people generally see a change in their stomach and other symptoms when they go gluten-free? I do realize every body is different, but I'm just looking for others opinions.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

I saw mainly negative results the first week followed by very favorable results starting in the 2nd week. Since then I've been getting glutened a decent amount so who knows how things are going, currently at 2.5 months and still noticing a new positive change occurring each week.

carecare Enthusiast

Hi,

My husband saw pretty immediate cessation (first couple days) with his indigestion upon going gluten free. His diarrhea issues improved but did not completely go away for about 5 months. I believe it just took that long for his intestines to start to heal. He went gluten free in October...and it wasn't until February that the diarrhea was gone completely. Now it's May...and it's been a couple months of not one episode of diarrhea or indigestion. We've been married for 18 yrs and he's never went more than a week or two without bad cramps and diarrhea....so this is huge for him. He feels great now too! My husband was one to not want to see a doctor...so he did this on his own.

Good luck. Some people I've heard improve with all their symptoms right away...some take a couple weeks but I've also read it could be quite a few months for healing to take place (as in my husband's case.)

CC

Hello all,

I have not had a Gastroenterologist confirm that I have Celiacs Disease, since my body is too weak for a Colonoscopy at this time, but he thinks I either have celiac disease or IBS. I have had blood work done which came back negative, but that doesn't mean I might not have a gluten intolerance. I'm hoping someone else out there can offer any insight or help with my current issue or just someone who has a similar situation to reach out and say hello.

I was having stomach bloating, pain, gas, constipation and diahrea on and off for about a year and went to my (former) primary care doctor and he thought I had Giardia so he gave me flagyl. The stool tests came back negative for the Giardia but it was too late - I was already taking the Flagyl. It messed up my system pretty bad and gave me a 13 month migraine, numbness in my feet and hands, chills, naseau, weakness, metalic taste in my tongue, depersonalization (brain fog - I am unsafe to drive at this time), jittery arms & legs, forgetfullness, no energy, hives on skin and in private areas, puffy feeling face even though its hard for others to spot, redness on my skin, excessive sweating and a pungeant body odor and so many other things. My thought was that maybe I had a gluten-intolerance and the doctor missed it and gave me the Flagyl which made my whole system MUCH worse. I am getting acupuncture treatment and taking chinese herbs for the relief of some of my symptoms. My migraine is almost gone and some of my naseau has resolved but there are many symptoms that are still there. I don't like medications and try to do things naturally and I'm sure you can understand why.

I have just taken the gluten out of my diet last Sunday so its one week today. I am noticing a little reduction in my hives but I'm not quite sure yet. I'm hoping its the gluten that is making things worse, but I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket so I don't get down if this is not the case.

How long do people generally see a change in their stomach and other symptoms when they go gluten-free? I do realize every body is different, but I'm just looking for others opinions.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

sa1937 Community Regular

I went gluten free following my endo/biopsy on April 9 and was surprised that I saw some positive results in only three days. Not that I'm completely there yet but it was so encouraging as I was hoping to feel somewhat better in a couple of weeks or so. I know everyone is different.

The day after I cleaned out my gluteny pantry the following week, I didn't feel that great.

My biopsy was positive but my GI doc is out of town due to a family emergency so I'll find out more info and where to go from here when I have my follow-up appt. on May 20.

Archived