This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good News!

mbland

mbland Rookie

Hi all. I am a first-time poster here. I have had stomach problems for about 10 years or more. As a child I had Pyloric Stenosis, and I now have Acid Reflux and Gastritis. I went to many doctors and everyone diagnosed me with "IBS." Finally, I changed Gastro's and he ran a Celiac test. They said I have positive bloodwork and that they can do a test to see. But, I decided I would try the gluten-free diet because I have already had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and didn't want to have it again if it wasn't needed. Well, the first day I did the gluten-free diet I felt better. I would have a stomach ache after every meal and snack, and I had none. It was like a miracle! Of course, bread and pasta and cereal are my favorite foods, so it made me a little sad, but I would do anything to get rid of these stomach aches.

So, I decided not to do the test. My family and I just returned from Italy and found that they have so many gluten-free items to choose from! Even in some of the restaurants they serve rice pasta. In all the grocery stores they have shelves of gluten-free food. It was really exciting for me. Everything was great the whole trip (stomach-ache wise) except for one night at a restaurant. They didn't understand that I could have NO flour and they made a delicious cream sauce... that wasn't so delicious later. Heh.

Anyway, I just wanted to let some people know. I found some really good crackers and cookies by the brand Galbusera in Italy. But, I haven't been able to find a place to order them online. If anyone ran across them in their travels, please let me know!

It is great to know that you aren't alone, that is why I am excited about this board. Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a newbie Celiac, please let me know! Thanks!

Mari

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BellyTimber

:D

Glad you had a (mostly) good time in Italy. There is a Europe section in the forum, we could do with more posts there for reference of other readers.

Here in the UK it is patchy like the US in regard to both shops and restaurants. I've hardly dared eat out for years, and when travelling (day trips only) carry bags and bags of food.

Every now and again I want to revert to "stodge" but mostly I find my meat and veg stews both are easier to make and agree with me more.

Hoping you find your favourite crackers though, we mostly treasure "that special gluten-free item"!

Explore the whole forum, some of your questions will have been answered before.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! If I ever do the Europe tour, I'll keep Italy in mind :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh yeah! Never been, but heard that Europe is FABULOUS for celiacs. In Italy they often say on the menu whether something is gluten-free or not....same in Australia. And you know what kills me? If you live in Italy and you're diagnosed as celiac by a doctor there, you're given a card and with it, get free gluten-free food. (just what i heard)

astyanax Rookie

i've found ireland and the UK are amazing as well! the best gluten-free bread i've ever had is in the UK (dietary specials breakfast rolls) the only gluten-free bread i've ever had that doesn't have to be toasted/warmed up to taste good. i believe ireland has the most celiacs per capita so a lot of people have heard of it there.

and for the drinkers out there, almost every pub i went to in ireland and the UK had cider on tap - strongbow or magners (called bulmers in ireland)!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
In Italy they often say on the menu whether something is gluten-free or not....same in Australia

That sounds so great! :D If only more places were like that here...

HealthyDawn Newbie

I was just in Italy for two weeks and did not see a single menu with gluten-free labeling, was not offered rice pasta at restaurants, and did not find any cookies or crackers that were gluten-free, as mentioned previously in this line of posts. Perhaps this is true in other cities, but I was in Rome, Florence and Venice.

However, it was a fantastic trip and I stayed perfectly healthy, but if I were someone who had to also avoid dairy I would have had a much harder time. My diet was mostly:

Breakfast: protein bars I brought with and yogurt bought from the store there

Lunch/Dinner: some combination of roast beef, potatoes, green salad, risotto, caprisi salad with tomatoes and mozzarella, cheese, fruit salad (I tried to order chicken and steak a couple times but it was coated in flour and they didn't seem willing to make it without)

Snack: gelato--in a cup

In all, I ate a ton of cheese and sometimes counted a latte, apple and a protein bar for lunch on the go, on days when my husband was content with a ham-and-cheese sandwich from a deli. Having a mini refrigerator in each hotel was definitely a plus.

The MOST helpful thing was writing out on a card, in Italian, that I was allergic to wheat, barley, rye, etc. Having this to read in their own language, the restaurant servers always took it seriously.

Best travels,

Dawn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seamaiden399 Newbie

I have to second this- I went on practically the same trip- Florence, Venice, Rome and it was a bit challenging. I did have some very fishy risotto in Venice... their pub snacks worked out fairly well also. But, I also do not speak Italian. I have heard rave reviews from people who spoke Italian and/or lived there... It's just hard knowing where to go when you're visiting a place.

That being said- it was WAY easier eating in Italy than in France! Mashed potatoes and deli food was my salvation in France, but it was a real challenge.

Even though it was challenging- I had a great time and didn't get glutened the entire trip, so it was a success and I wouldn't hesitate to go again.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Not everywhere in Europe. Germany sucks with glutenfree food...lol. But in Sweden you can even get glutenfree Burgers at McDonalds.

celiac3270 Collaborator

lol...yes! I've read about getting a gluten-free bun in McDonalds in some European countries

Guest gliX

hmm, one of us should call Mcds and tell them to start making those gluten-free buns in the US :o

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Mari,

Where exactly in Italy did you go? I am interested in going there and would love to know where some of those restaurants and stores are!

• 2 weeks later...
scotia Newbie

Hey guys, anyone going to the UK should do what I did beforehand.

I contacted Sainsbury's (huge foodstore) and they mailed me out a book(yes, a book!!!) of their gluten-free products, it was amazing...cookies, cakes, sauces, and my most favourite...ready to heat in the microwave curries...bbef, chicken, what a God'send that was when i was trying to grab something to eat and then go out for the evening...I thought I'd died and gone to gluten-free Hevaen.

The book they sent even had all the bar codes for the products just so I was sure to get the right stuff once I got there.

I'd recommend Siansbury's store as one to check out and the staff were very helpful too!!!

Bon Voyage and Bon Appetit!!!

:D

Scotia

** Boy does my splng go for a Burton when I'm exciteldly tring to pass on some good info eh...???**

hehe

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
** Boy does my splng go for a Burton when I'm exciteldly tring to pass on some good info eh...???**

Haha...

Do you know, if Sainsbury's have a website?

scotia Newbie

Stef: Your wish is my command...check this out:

Open Original Shared Link

I did a search for Sainsbury uk and then went through their pages.

I eventually found this link and it's 69 pages about gluten-free foodstuffs and information.

I bet if you contacted them they'd be really cool and send you any info you wanted.

Good Luck and Happy eating if you get over there sometime.

I'm originally from Glasgow, and was amazed at what, and how much, I could eat there.

By the way,to anyone who thinks life is a big hassle when you have celiac disease...

I have asthma, a VSD (hole in the heart) and about 8-9 years ago I had a TIA ( a mini stroke) I still kayak, play and coach soccer, and bike ride, so don't let anyone tell you to stop doing what you like doing, as you're sick...if you feel you can handle it...go for it.

We're her to make the best with what we've got...in my humble opinion.

I always try to look on the bright side of life, not always successful mind you, but it is what it is...so chin up guys.

Ciao'

Scotia

scotia Newbie

MAN!!! I just read through the list...for old times sake.

Boy am I craving some of their stuff now!!!

By the way hit the allergies on the drop down menu on the link and it says Gluten Free and go from there.

Enjoy.

Scotia.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks Scotia for the info!

Archived