13 replies to this topic

#1 ATHORN

ATHORN

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

HELLO! DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD BRAND OF GLUTEN FREE GOLDFISH CRACKERS? I RECENTLY TRIED TO RECIPE BUT MY 5 YR OLD SON WASNT TO HAPPY W/ THEM. HE IS IN PRESCHOOL AND IS DYING TO HAVE GOLDFISH LIKE THE OTHER KIDS IN HIS CLASS. HELP!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think if someone decides to make these and market them, they will become instant millionaires. I do not believe they exist :(
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#3 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

Seriously, I wish someone would make them commercially. This is the one product I have not been able to find gluten-free. I make them at home with a little goldfish cookie cutter, but they are very labor intensive.

I use a variation on this recipe:

http://www.recipezaa...eese-Nips-42889

But I just use 1 cup of whatever similar rice flour/potato starch blend I have made up. I also reduce the salt a little and sometimes I don't include the pepper.

They are really good!

ETA: It is easiest if you use a food processor to shred the cheese (pre shredded does not work well because of non-clumping additives.) Then use the food processor to then combine all of the ingredients into "cheese product." :lol:

I find they need to bake much longer that stated in the receipt, more like 8-14 minutes depending on how thick they are. The thicker tend to puff up more and look like goldfish.

#4 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

There is a company that makes gluten-free bunny cookies, they are like the cookie goldfish they used to make (or maybe they still make them?) Anyway, they are chocholate and vanilla mixed into one box. The company is Annie's, maybe they will work on a cheese bunny. Maybe this would be a good substitute and the other kids would want his cookies?

#5 Mac55

Mac55

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

Seriously, I wish someone would make them commercially. This is the one product I have not been able to find gluten-free. I make them at home with a little goldfish cookie cutter, but they are very labor intensive.

I use a variation on this recipe:

http://www.recipezaa...eese-Nips-42889

But I just use 1 cup of whatever similar rice flour/potato starch blend I have made up. I also reduce the salt a little and sometimes I don't include the pepper.

They are really good!

ETA: It is easiest if you use a food processor to shred the cheese (pre shredded does not work well because of non-clumping additives.) Then use the food processor to then combine all of the ingredients into "cheese product." :lol:

I find they need to bake much longer that stated in the receipt, more like 8-14 minutes depending on how thick they are. The thicker tend to puff up more and look like goldfish.

I'd never thought about making them! Do you think soy cheese or something similar would work too? My boys can't do dairy. Also, where did you find the little fish cookie cutter? My boys would be THRILLED if they could have fish again!
Diagnosed with Celiac through blood work Feb 2010
Gluten-free/dairy-free Feb 2010

Mom to 2 gluten sensitive boys

#6 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'd never thought about making them! Do you think soy cheese or something similar would work too? My boys can't do dairy. Also, where did you find the little fish cookie cutter? My boys would be THRILLED if they could have fish again!

I have no idea if soy cheese would work, but you could try. To give it the best chance of being successful, I would shred your own block of soy cheese (just like I recommended with the regular stuff) and not buy the pre-shredded.

This is the cutter I bought. It is the tiniest one I could find. Raw, they are bigger than goldfish, but when cooked they are almost as small. Good luck and please report back, I have been wondering about soy cheese as I am concerned we might have to go casein free in the future.

http://www.coppergif...0&idproduct=947

#7 Glutenfree4LJS

Glutenfree4LJS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

This is the closest thing I could find out there. It more like a " cheez it" than a gold fish. I too have a preschooler and he really likes them.
http://www.thegrainl...rch-item&idn=37

I noticed that Annies Homegrown is now making gluten-free bunny cookie snacks so hopefully they'll come out with some cheese snacks soon.

#8 Glutenfree4LJS

Glutenfree4LJS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

HELLO! DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD BRAND OF GLUTEN FREE GOLDFISH CRACKERS? I RECENTLY TRIED TO RECIPE BUT MY 5 YR OLD SON WASNT TO HAPPY W/ THEM. HE IS IN PRESCHOOL AND IS DYING TO HAVE GOLDFISH LIKE THE OTHER KIDS IN HIS CLASS. HELP!!

I also came across these today and thought they were very close to a goldfish as far as the texture goes.Still no fun fish shape but at least they are bite size.

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Schar-Crackers-Cheese-Gluten-4-Ounces/dp/B004LQRNT0

We have a gluten-free specialty store here in AZ, that's where I found them but it looks like they can be purchased online as well.

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

The site the link attempted to access is named after the largest river in South America.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Glutenfree4LJS

Glutenfree4LJS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

I also came across these today and thought they were very close to a goldfish as far as the texture goes.Still no fun fish shape but at least they are bite size.

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Schar-Crackers-Cheese-Gluten-4-Ounces/dp/B004LQRNT0

We have a gluten-free specialty store here in AZ, that's where I found them but it looks like they can be purchased online as well.

Sorry those are the Schar cheese bites :)

#11 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

Blue diamond cheese flavored crackers are yummy. My kids love em. Maybe close to gold fish. They look like chips. :)

#12 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:20 AM

schar has a funny after taste :P

#13 msacch1

msacch1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

schar has a funny after taste :P

Im a bit late to the game on this, but I found a snack called "Cheeze-ups" by Wellaby. They taste just like cheeze-its/gold fish and are amazing! No cute fish shape, but really very good.

#14 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

here is a link to make gluten-free goldfish crackers.

http://www.adventure...ten-free-style/

I am a horrible cook but its seems easy enough that I could even make these There's also a link on this page for a mini fish cookie cutter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: