4 replies to this topic

#1 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

As the weather warms up, I am less and less enthralled with eating hot foods. (By mid August, my husband will start calling me at lunch time to ask if I remembered to eat today!) So, I'm trying to find really healthy/tasty snack options now to start making that I can keep on hand and actually EAT before I do something stupid and pass out. Again. Which is kind of a thing when you are 6'2 - the likelihood of accidentally taking out innocent villagers is quite high! :P

So anyway. I found a new Hummus-esque recipe in How It All Vegan the other day and decided to give it a whirl (even if it DID look odd.

TASTY TASTY TASTY! So much so, I had to share it on here.

Nutty Hummus Dip (great on apple slices, gluten-free-bread, carrot sticks, etc.)

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup nut butter of your choice (I used some homemade cashew butter)
1/2 cup apple cider (or juice)
1 tsp cinnamon

Drop it all in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Keep in the fridge, but it is tasty enough I have no idea how long it would last in there. I think next time I might even try adding some cocoa powder and seeing how a chocolate version would work out.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

Which is kind of a thing when you are 6'2 - the likelihood of accidentally taking out innocent villagers is quite high! :P

:P

This sounds wierd but I'll try it soon.

I posted a couple of dips on that Vegtables & fruit thread that I thought would be good for your rice paper wraps. Don't know if you can eat the ingredients but you might be able to substitute.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

I just made those rice paper wrappers this past weekend. They are simple and delicious. I filled them with a mixture of sauteed thinly sliced mushrooms and chopped cooked shrimp that I sauteed in dairy free margarine. I added in cooked sticky rice and some sweet chili sauce and hot Chinese mustard. When I added the rice mixture to each wrap, I topped with a couple of slices of avocado. Rolled them up. I tried eating them fresh, pan frying in a bit of oil and baking them sprayed with Pam. I like the pan frying the best. Next time I will spray the pan with Pam, rather than using the oil. I used only about a teaspoon of oil but I think the Pam with work better. I made a mixture of hummus and sweet chili sauce for dipping. I gotta tell you, it was heaven! I did find out that the 8 inch wrappers only have 47 calories.. Yah!!!! Thank you soooo much for the idea!
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#4 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

I just made those rice paper wrappers this past weekend. They are simple and delicious. I filled them with a mixture of sauteed thinly sliced mushrooms and chopped cooked shrimp that I sauteed in dairy free margarine. I added in cooked sticky rice and some sweet chili sauce and hot Chinese mustard. When I added the rice mixture to each wrap, I topped with a couple of slices of avocado. Rolled them up. I tried eating them fresh, pan frying in a bit of oil and baking them sprayed with Pam. I like the pan frying the best. Next time I will spray the pan with Pam, rather than using the oil. I used only about a teaspoon of oil but I think the Pam with work better. I made a mixture of hummus and sweet chili sauce for dipping. I gotta tell you, it was heaven! I did find out that the 8 inch wrappers only have 47 calories.. Yah!!!! Thank you soooo much for the idea!

Those sound great! I'm so glad the idea worked out so well for you.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#5 eatGF.only

eatGF.only

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hi Magpie,
I am anxious to try your recipe as soon as I get home. My Dr. wants me to eat chick peas (sort of as a protien) but i couldn't find a good tasting chummus which suits my gluten-free diet and taste buds. This sounds like one i might enjoy....
Thanks for the recipe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: