Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Generic Acetaminophen?

5 posts in this topic

I've been gluten-free for about 6 weeks now. All of my prescription medications and supplements are safe, but I'm concerned about my Target brand acetaminophen. I had been taking the Walgreen's version for a few months and this weekend I combined an old Walgreen's bottle with a new bottle from Target. I've been taking it off and on for knee pain and didn't notice any side effects until Saturday. I started taking tablets from that combined bottle on Friday, noticed some abdominal pain/discomfort on Saturday and then diarrhea and bloating on Sunday. And I took at least one dose every day. I didn't make the connection until last night, but the bottle looks safe to me unless the corn starch was subject to cross-contamination.

I plan to avoid any OTC painkillers for a few days until that intestinal irritation calms down, but I'm going to need to take something at some point. Is the Target version really that different? Can I assume that going back to the Walgreen's brand is safe? (I've been taking it occasionally throughout this whole gluten-free process) Or should I just stick with the brand name Tylenol which I've found listed on more than one list of gluten-free medications?

Thanks,

Bridget

Ads by Google:

Hi there. I only use Tylenol brand as I have been glutened by other brands. Try googling Tylenol and you will see which of their products are test gluten free.

I stick with name brand because I know it's gluten free. I'd verify the type of starch used in the walgreen's and target brands before using. It's most likely corn but it can be wheat.

Kirkland brand (Costco) acetaminophen is ok. Also check out http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com

Kirkland brand (Costco) acetaminophen is ok. Also check out http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com

I can't speak for any other brands, but I have verified the Kroger generic sold at Fry's grocery stores is gluten free. At least the batch I bought was. They also told me they plan to start putting a gluten free label on some of their OTC generics so you don't have to call to check.