23 replies to this topic

#16 Glutin-Free Man

Glutin-Free Man

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

I was going to write up a few more, but then I realized they're all from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking cookbook. This is a great book for those learning how to cook Indian (it was mu first!). Her dry potatoes and spiced pork chops are great.

I had to pull this old thread back out & reply, since I didn't do it when it was new.

I've been enjoying Indian food more lately (I just cooked it for dinner tonight), and have to agree with the others that Madhur Jaffrey's book is the only one I've ever used.

My family's favorite dinner is:
Minced meat with peas (Kheema matar) - we use lamb
Cauliflower with fennel and mustard seeds (Baghari phool gobi)
Red split lentils with cumin seeds (Masoor dal)
Spicy cucumber wedges (Kheere ke tukray)
and
Onion relish (Pyaz ka laccha)
all served with some basmati rice. They like some naan too, if we have it, but I typically don't make it (wheat), and it's usually too much trouble to go buy some.
I have been making papadums (gluten-free) with dinner lately, and my wife made a big batch of apricot chutney some time ago that we're still working on, so we'll typically have both of those as well.
Indian food nights tend to be a bit feasty around here :)

Other favorites are:
Chicken in a red sweet pepper sauce
(Lal masale wali murghi)
Cabbage with peas
(Bund gobi aur matar)
Dry Okra
(Sookhi bhindi)
Dry Okra is a big favorite -- my family (wife & I plus 7 & 4 year olds) can eat two pounds of Dry Okra (plus meat, dal & rice) at one sitting.

Tonight we tried:
Bombay-style chicken with red lentils
(Murghi aur masoor dal)
It's a nice stew-style dish that would be very good on a cold winter night. It wasn't bad on a cool fall night either.

What are your favorites?
Gluten free since 2008; Dairy free since 2009; Nightshade free since 2010
Hopefully done with additional restrictions!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Wow! Can you be sweet talked into posting your favorite recipes? They sound wonderful!!

I don't have that cookbook and love the indian food I know so far (like baba g. and hummus and curry. I love tumeric! What a great spice, and one that's so good for you.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#18 kiani

kiani

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi im actually new to this site.. and im not sure how recent and updated the posts are .. but i wanted to ask if anyone knew if Shan Masalas are gluten free… like the stuff you take to make indian food…

like the powder and spices are in shan masala.. but are they gluten free?? i tried to contact Shan itself like i emailed the company but no reply… soo please help me out!! thank you!!

#19 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

First of all, thank you for the recipes and the thread! I have been looking for more Indian recipes.

Last summer, my vegan friend made a similar version to this when we got together with another vegan friend for lunch (I'm not vegan). I searched the internet and found this recipe which I have made a few times and actually like better than hers (her mother-in-law, who grew up in India, taught her). I always make flatbread with it:
Spicy Potato Curry

Here's the flatbread recipe. I use 1/4 cup of four different gluten-free flours, myself (got burned out on quinoa in the late 90s):

Gluten-Free Flatbread
by Emilia on May 11, 2008

- 1 cup (2,4 dl) quinoa flour
-1/2 -1 tsp salt
-1 tbls psyllium husk
-3/4 cup (2 dl) water
Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 F).
Mix everything together in a bowl. It will be thick batter. Drop by tablespoons and then pat out flat in round shapes on to a greased baking sheet. I usually sprinkle onion powder and then caraway seeds or chives on top. Bake for 20 mins.

Mix up some chopped up fresh Greek Oregano and Thyme (or fresh herbs of your choice) in a tiny dish of olive oil for dipping. Very delicious!
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#20 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Dry Style Potato Curry

6 med. potatoes
2 med. onions
2 med. green chili peppers
1 tsp. ginger paste
1 tsp. garlic paste
10 curry leaves
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric pwd. (I add a little more)
1/2 c. oil

This is better if you cook the potatoes the night before and refrigerate then cut up next day.

Boil potatoes, peel and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes, set aside.
Heat oil in wide skillet on medium and add mustard seeds, when seeds begin to pop add finely chopped onion and green chili. Fry until onion turns brown.
Then add curry leaves, salt, potato pieces, turmeric, ginger and garlic paste. fry on low heat 10 to 12 minutes.
I change it up sometimes by adding cauliflower, carrot or sometimes spinach.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now.”

#21 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŒeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Fried Bajra Roti (millet flatbread)

http://chefshop.com/...cipe-P7341.aspx
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#22 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Chicken Tikka Masala
http://www.takethouf...kka-masala.html

Chicken Makhani (Butter Chicken)
http://www.thespiceh...-butter-chicken

Potato Chutney Balls

Ingredients

1/2 kilo potatoes
2 teaspoons gluten-free flour or starch
2 tablespoons cheese (optional)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated black pepper

Chutney

1 cup of grated coconut
1/2 cube of ginger
1/2 teaspoon jeera
1 lump of tamarind ( Marble size)
4 green chillies
1-2 cloves of garlic (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method

Boil and mash the potatoes without any lumps (I use a ricer). Add the egg yolk, flour, cheese and seasonings and knead well. Grind all chutney ingredients together in mortar and pestle or food processor and set aside.

Roll the potatoes mixture into balls, the size of a large marble. Hollow them and insert a small lump of chutney and close.

Roll each ball in lightly beaten egg white. Deep fry in very hot oil until golden brown. Drain off oil and serve hot.

*Though I have yet to try it I imagine these would work baking in the oven rather than deep frying.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#23 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

Lamb Korma

serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 lb lamb (leg, shoulder)
4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
3 large onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
3 tablespoons of ghee
8 black peppercorns crushed
4 green cardamom pods coarsely crushed
2 cloves crushed
salt to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons of coriander
1 pint of water
fresh chopped coriander (optional)

Method
Remove any excess fat from the meat. Cut into cubes.

Place 2 of the onions, garlic and ginger in a blender or food processor and blend to a smooth paste.

Heat the ghee in a wok. Add the remaining roughly chopped onion, and stirring frequently, fry to a pale golden colour. Add the crushed spices, salt and meat. Stirring constantly fry the meat for 5 to 8 minutes to a rich brown colour. The ghee will start to separate at this stage.

Add the ground onion paste. Continue to stir for another 10 minutes until the mixture is well browned.

Add the chilli powder and ground coriander. Stir well, then add the drained yoghurt 1 tablespoon at a time stirring continuously, fry until the ghee again starts to separate.

Soon after this the sauce or the masala will start to stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the water at this stage. Mix well.

Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the sauce has thickened. Transfer to a serving dish sprinkle with fresh coriander and enjoy.

#24 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I LOVE Rogan Josh! This recipe is extra easy.

Ingredients

1 tsp. ground ginger
1 Tbs. fennel seeds
1 tsp. shahjeera (black cumin seed)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs. pepper, red, powder (cayenne)
2 cinnamon sticks
6 cardamom seeds
6 cloves
1 bay leaf (Indian tez patta)
salt to taste
1 tsp. saffron
1 C. dahi (yoghurt), creamy (or sour cream)
3/4 cup ghee
1 kg. lamb, cut into large cubes

Method

Grind together the spices.

Soak saffron in the dahi.

Heat ghii and add meat and sear on all sides, frying until well browned.

Pour in the dahi and fry until liquid is absorbed.

Add a glassful of water and the spices.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender.

Remove cover and cook until liquid is nearly evaporated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: