Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Coffee Issues

12 posts in this topic

I have recently started drinking coffee in the mornings. Last week I drank the Millstone cinnamon hazelnut and the vanilla nut without issues. This week I started on the Millstone Caramel Truffle and got sick with GI "issues" Sunday and Monday. It is my understanding that all Millstone varieties are gluten-free but I decided obviously something is in the caramel that doesn't agree. So last night I went out and bought Folger's Vanilla Biscotti (feel kind of stupid saying I bought something that said biscotti on the label) because I read that all Folger's flavors are gluten free. Well drank my first cup this morning and had even worse issues than with the caramel! Plus I have a weird itchy rash on the top of my hand which I've never gotten before. (I do get rashes on my legs, around the knee when I consume gluten but never anywhere else.)

So I guess basically I'm wondering whether there is anything else in these flavors that I could be reacting to and also where can I find good flavored coffee that is safe. I don't think coffee itself is the problem since I often get Starbucks coffee on my lunch break and do not have issues. I also don't think it's the

Almond Breeze I put in the coffee because I use it in smoothies without issue. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide! :)

Ads by Google:

Alot of the flavored syrups are gluten-free (check to be sure a few flavors aren't). I like vanilla Silk creamer with plain coffee. Good luck. Its also possible something else is bothering you. If Starbucks flavorings don't bother you, you can buy them for your coffee at home.

I guess I could try the syrups. I don't use anything with Splenda in it so it would add some calories to my morning coffee. I would still love to find ground flavored coffee that set well with me.

I called Folger about the vanilla biscotti but got the CYA statement that they can't guarantee it's gluten free because there are numerous times between harvesting and processing that it could have came into contract with gluten. All she could say was that coffee beans themselves are gluten-free. She wouldn't discuss what natural and artifical flavorings were used. Frustrating.

So sorry you are having issues with coffee. I do know that any coffee flavoring can contain gluten which may be irritating you.

Have you ever been in one of the packaging facilities for the mass coffee houses? There are only four in the US, and they handle all the coffee for all the brands. Folger's, MJB, Hills Bros, etc. The production lines used there handle a variety of blends, additives (including some which would contain gluten), etc. There is a huge CC issues. I don't trust any of the mass packaged coffees. I got green coffee beans (for about $3.80 to $4.50 a pound) and roasted my own coffee. Takes about a 1/2 hour to roast enough coffee for my wife and I for a week.

It guess I never thought about how coffee was produced and packaged! Thanks for the tip! Looks like I can order unroasted beans online. This is probably a stupid question but, do I need to buy a special coffee roaster or can they be roasted in the oven?

Hot air popcorn popper is what we use. Wear-ever popcorn pumper model works great and you can find them on E-bay cheap ($8-$15). Search for 'wear even popcorn'.

I had no idea coffee beans could be CC. Seems like gluten is everywhere.

For flavored coffee, you can put some stick cinnamon in with the grounds, or add a drop of vanilla extract with the cream and sugar. Hershey's syrup is really good too if you don't mind the sugar. Frangelico liqueur is amazing in coffee, but I only do that on weekends when I don't mind a tiny bit of alcohol. B)

Well yesterday I went to the allergy doctor because after I posted this topic my issues started getting stranger in that I was having tingling around my lips and gums and a strong metallic taste in my mouth after drinking coffee. Turns out I have developed a coffee allergy. I just thought I should update it so if anyone searched the forums they wouldn't be scared to drink coffee.

I still think the information about the mass packaging plants and home roasting was good advice!

I have a reaction to coffee also. Just wanted to mention tea. There are a ton of flavored teas and plain teas you could substitute. But same deal, some of them have gluten in the flavorings. So be careful of them also. Plain tea should be ok. If you have hayfever the flavored teas with flowers etc are usually a problem also.

I just broke out on my elbows after having Milestone Caramel Truffle coffee. I decided to check online to see if anyone else has problems with flavored coffees. It is difficult to know what is safe. I have random breakouts, with food that don't seem to have gluten in them.

I have recently started drinking coffee in the mornings. Last week I drank the Millstone cinnamon hazelnut and the vanilla nut without issues. This week I started on the Millstone Caramel Truffle and got sick with GI "issues" Sunday and Monday. It is my understanding that all Millstone varieties are gluten-free but I decided obviously something is in the caramel that doesn't agree. So last night I went out and bought Folger's Vanilla Biscotti (feel kind of stupid saying I bought something that said biscotti on the label) because I read that all Folger's flavors are gluten free. Well drank my first cup this morning and had even worse issues than with the caramel! Plus I have a weird itchy rash on the top of my hand which I've never gotten before. (I do get rashes on my legs, around the knee when I consume gluten but never anywhere else.)

So I guess basically I'm wondering whether there is anything else in these flavors that I could be reacting to and also where can I find good flavored coffee that is safe. I don't think coffee itself is the problem since I often get Starbucks coffee on my lunch break and do not have issues. I also don't think it's the

Almond Breeze I put in the coffee because I use it in smoothies without issue. Thanks for any help/advice you can provide! :)

I know this thread was started earlier this year. But I too have been having weird things happening to me and I think it's the coffee. For over a week I have had the swollen, itchy tongue, with D and tummy issues going on. I also saw a gray/white film on my tongue the other day. I did some research and I think I have a coffee/caffine intolerance. Apparently the mouth issues with the gray/white tongue is also related to caffine toxicity. So, those of you that experience any of these symptoms might want to try caffine free and see if it helps. That includes; no coffee, no tea, no caffinated soda, chocolate, etc.

*cry* going to miss my chocolate. :blink:

No bread or chocolate, you have got to be kidding me. *falls over, gets up and grabs some letuce.*

*sigh* :( Food just isn't fun anymore.