Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Can't Commit To Gluten Free Without Some Sweets!

• Please log in to reply

24 replies to this topic

#1 ohitsonlynicole

ohitsonlynicole

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

:lol: Hi, I am new to this. I have a huge sweet tooth and since going gluten free I can't find any good sweets. Thats when I drive to cinnabon, eat a whole roll and pay for it the next day. I am 21 and a busy girl. I don't want cooking tips because I will never have time make anything. The things I have tried have been horrible. I also do not have a bunch of money to be buying everythin to find out that I hate it, so if you know of something you swear by let me know. I live in MN so any places or even online where I can buy some actual great tasting gluten free yum yums. Anything sweet and fluffy or extra rich... Pretty much if it has sugar I will like it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

Craving sweets is a symptom of the disease caused by malnutrition and not eating a balanced diet.

Everybody is busy, so that's no excuse.

Start taking a gluten free multivitamin, a B complex, and a calcium supplement. Eat more vegetables and good fats such as nuts, avocados, coconut milk, olive oil.

And your'e going to have to find a place to either buy gluten free treats, local or online, or learn to make your own, because driving all the way to a regular bakeshop takes just as much effort as driving to a store for gluten free goods, it's where you want to direct your energy.

Try googling [ gluten free name of your town ] . That should give you some ideas.

#3 kaki_clam

kaki_clam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

for a quick pick me up...I find a Snickers really satisfies! I read somewhere that the mini's contain wheat, so i stick to the full size bar..never had a problem :)

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:44 AM

You can't find any gluten free sweets? Sweets is what gluten free does best...I've never had a problem finding gluten free desserts anywhere that sells gluten free food. Granted, sometimes you have to make them yourself but cookies and brownies are really so easy to make. You really need to stop going to cinnabun and all that and start being healthy or you're really going to do some serious damage!

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (the originals). Check the ingredients as not all Reese's products are gluten free. Loved them before diagnosis and can still eat them with no problem now.

I need to add Snicker's to my grocery list today. I've always liked them, too.

Since going gluten free I find that my 9 o'clock munchies have all but disappeared. Probably because I'm eating so nutritiously now. Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

I don't want to preach at you, but if you are eating gluten on a regular basis you probably won't be able to get past this no matter how delicious the gluten-free sweets are. It's not the sugar you are craving, it's the gluten.

If you were diabetic, would you be too busy to check your blood sugar?

You have to get a handle on this even if you never get to eat another sweet. You aren't paying for eating gluten on just the days you feel lousy. The damage goes on and on even after you feel better.

Take care of yourself! You deserve to feel great and be healthy! :D

Please don't eat gluten anymore! :(

#7 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:05 AM

Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Fresh and Natural all have great sweets to fill your sweet tooth. Bittersweet Bakery makes good gluten free items too. All in the Twin Cities.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#8 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

Um chocolate?! Chocolate is gluten free baby! And gluten free brownies are super easy to make, and I guarantee I'm as busy if not busier than you! I make a batch, and freeze it. Then I take out a half a brownie -- remember, this is also about self-control -- and enjoy every morsel. I have chocolate at every meal, and ice cream several nights a week. :) If you love muffins, check out Udi's breads. Awesome muffins.

Listen, I'm addicted to sweets too -- I admit it. But I keep them a minimum and enjoy them when I have them. But you need to ask yourself why you would purposely hurt yourself for at least a day (for me, it's three weeks, so if you are getting away with only one day, I'm jealous!) just to have something that you could easily make yourself or buy at a convenience store? I know you didn't ask us for a psych analysis :) but we are worried about you. Think about why YOU and your well-being are not important enough to YOU -- and at your age, I would have done the same thing -- thank God I've learned more as I've gotten older. You deserve to feel good and healthy, and to enjoy some yummy sweets without paying for it with your health.

((hug))
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#9 eatGF.only

eatGF.only

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hi there,
Good to now there are others like me out there. I crave sweets healthy or not!
What I really enjoy and eat all day are the Katz Gluten Free Cinnamon Rugelech. For those craving Chocolate they have it available in chocolate as well.I also enjoy Udi's muffins for change.
As far as I know you shall have some Hy-vee's in MN carrying both brands. or shopa online at www.katzglutenfree.com and www.udisglutenfree.elsstore.com .
Good Luck and Hearty apetite! :P

#10 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

I love Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (the originals). Check the ingredients as not all Reese's products are gluten free. Loved them before diagnosis and can still eat them with no problem now.

I need to add Snicker's to my grocery list today. I've always liked them, too.

Since going gluten free I find that my 9 o'clock munchies have all but disappeared. Probably because I'm eating so nutritiously now. Posted Image

I read the ingredients for Reese's Peanut Butter cups and found nothing bad in them but had a reaction to them. Since going gluten free 4 months now I don't crave the sweets like I used to. Still have set backs once in a while but doing ok.

#11 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

I read the ingredients for Reese's Peanut Butter cups and found nothing bad in them but had a reaction to them. Since going gluten free 4 months now I don't crave the sweets like I used to. Still have set backs once in a while but doing ok.

It may be the peanut butter. I LOVE PB, and love Reese's, but I've learned to avoid it as my system canNOT tolerate PB. :(
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#12 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

How bout a fresh piece of fruit? No labels to read, naturally gluten free, good on the go. I know it's not chocolate, but it's a good sweet tooth fix that is healthier than candy or muffins. Although those are awesome too. B)

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#13 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

When I'm craving sweets I make the chocolate chip recipe on the side of the Pamela's Gluten free baking mix. It literally takes like less than 20 minutes from start to finish! I use orange extract instead of vanilla and it makes them even better. I sometimes use butterscotch chips (read labels carefully, all brands are not gluten-free) and make bar cookies in an 8x8 pan. So 20 minutes and a weeks worth of treats if you don't share! :D

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Try a search for microwave peanut brittle. 10 minutes and it's done. And you can add any fixings you want, like dried fruit, other nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, coconut etc. Cheaper than buying candy and better for you.

Or stop at any store and pickup some nutritionally void Starburst Fruit chews. Or try a search on the forum here for Halloween candy. There are lists of commercial candy that is safe for us, oops, um, kids to eat. :D
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:44 AM

Or stop at any store and pickup some nutritionally void Starburst Fruit chews. Or try a search on the forum here for Halloween candy. There are lists of commercial candy that is safe for us, oops, um, kids to eat. Posted Image

I also like Betty Crocker Fruit Roll-Ups! Yup, I'm just a kid at heart! Posted Image
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: